"oh if i (did/didn't) i'm a fool, you see"

StuffnJunkStuffnJunk Posts: 896
edited February 2010 in The Porch
i thought all along it was "DID", and i liked it....that would mean he poured his heart out to someone and they said "sorry, i just wanna be friends" and he's like "oops, did i say i want you and need you? i'm a fool..."

and unfortunately, that strikes a nerve with me, and its cool to think someone else felt that way once,too

but then, i actually read the lyrics in the cd book, and i see that its "DIDN'T"

meaning "we were together and in love, i'm the jerk for not being more romantic"

that one doesn't do it for me....so i'm just gonna pretend its still "DID"
"I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• JammalamboJammalambo Posts: 1,321
    Uhm...
    Ok
  • robcascie wrote:
    Uhm...
    Ok
    typical response on here..

lets talk POSTERS!!!! (is that better?)
    "I'll tell you what: If all I had was Pearl Jam, and I didn't have another band in the world, I would not be worried. Because in there is the essence of making great music. You don't have to use it all at once, but it's there." - Neil Young
  • It`s been a long day...............
  • I thought the same thing StuffnJunk. I can see it both ways. And coming from someone who has poured his heart out to someone and they said "sorry, i just wanna be friends" and responding with something like "oops, did i say i want you and need you? i'm a fool..." I can totally relate.

But the lyrics clearly say "Didn't", so I don't know. Works both ways for me.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Oh dammit! I thought it was "did" too. That made the song to me pretty much.
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • Backspacer 76Backspacer 76 Posts: 960
    edited February 2010
    Just Breathe

Yes I understand that every life must end, aw huh,..
    As we sit alone, I know someday we must go, aw huh,..
    I’m a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love,..

Some folks just have one,
    Others they got none, aw huh,..

Stay with me,..
    Let’s just breathe.

Practiced are my sins,
    Never gonna let me win, aw huh,..
    Under everything, just another human being, aw huh,..
    Yeh, I don’t wanna hurt, there’s so much in this world
    To make me bleed.

Stay with me,..
    You’re all I see.

Did I say that I need you?
    Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one knows this more than me.
    As I come clean.

I wonder everyday
    as I look upon your face, aw huh,..
    Everything you gave
    And nothing you would take, aw huh,..
    Nothing you would take,..
    Everything you gave.

Did I say that I need you?
    Oh, Did I say that I want you?
    Oh, if I didn’t now I’m a fool you see,..
    No one know this more than me.
    As I come clean.

Nothing you would take,..
    everything you gave.
    Hold me till I die,..
    Meet you on the other side.
    Post edited by Backspacer 76 on
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    i like did too
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • the cd booklet says "oh, if i didn't i'm a fool you see"

there's no "now"

not that that changes the meaning much, or at all
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    always heard it as "did"....gonna be a wedding dance for me, the only PJ song I could con her into.
  • yeah, girls seem to dig this song
  • Until I read about 4 or 5 posts down, I didnt even know what song you were talking about... SKIPSKIPSKIP...
  • i like didn't...

because it's a song about regret. the way i interpret it, he's come to this point where he realizes he hasn't been as serious about his life and about his love life so he's turning over a new leaf. and he's saying, "you know, i'm sorry for being such an asshole, you've given me everything and i've taken that for granted. You deserve better, and i can give you better."

i've made huge mistakes in relationships and lately ive come to realize this (around the time the album came out) so this song is like my new theme song for turning my life around and becoming a better person. It motivates me.

those are the reasons why i like the word "didn't"
  • Ok, so let's just talk to Ed and ask him to change it to "did" since that's what everyone likes and thinks it is anyway.
    Do you see the way that tree bends? Does it inspire?

I'll not lose my faith, it's an inside job today

St. Louis 5/4/10 Hope for many more!
  • there are a few songs where i thought it was one thing and found out it was something else, but liked my original one better, so i still pretend its that

can't think of any examples off the top of my head
  • StuffnJunk wrote:
    robcascie wrote:
    Uhm...
    Ok
    typical response on here..

lets talk POSTERS!!!! (is that better?)

Yeah, I've got, um, a 1996 East Troy, WI poster - looking for a 2003 Uniondale poster, or something like that. :roll:

Oh yeah, back to the thread. I always heard DIDN'T. The song didn't make sense to me otherwise. So, yea, leave it the way it is.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • You're a fool if you did think it was "did" haha. Just kidding; we've all been there.. But it's all about loving like you really mean it. No regrets. Love Love Love! Spread it!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I just figured it was something like

'if only I told you how I felt, I always loved you/needed you, and now you're gone it's too late to tell you how I felt' that sort of thing
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • This is how I understand it:

Did I say I need you? Did I say I want you? (I didn't say that) So it makes me a fool, because I do need you and want you.

And " as I come clean" is he's admitting that he's been not saying it as often as he should and the other person deserves to hear it.

That's what I read into it! :D
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I was unclear what he said the first few times I heard it....I couldn't tell if there was a mumbled 'then', as in 'did then', or if it was didn't....DIDN'T makes more sense....but....when you take the next line into account (no one knows this more than me)...the meanings are not that different, in the context of the song.

didn't - he regrets not saying it more, at a specific moment, or at all...
    did then - he's a fool for stating the obvious, something known and unspoken between the two

I hadn't really thought of it as someone regretting expressing themselves...but Ed's lyrics are always obtuse, and he has a thing for double entendres....it invites this kind of speculation.
    Anyway...what music means to you is personal...sing it without the fuckin n't if it means more to you that way :)...