Best cables????

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Gonna do an all around upgrade on my rig soon and my chain is gettin the attention, maybe a few effects and some good cables.

What are the best cables around? I need a 15-20' cable with 1 angled, 1 straight. They have to be metal housing, b/c if they flex they'll eventually crap out, in my experience. I wrap my cable over my strap peg , so there shouldn't be much tension. I've have a uppper end Planet Waves and the mid grage Monster crap out on me.

Really liked the Monster Cable and was kinda lookin at the next step up to the gold jacket one. Anyone use these?

Also wondering about George L's as those have the best reputation of any cable I've seen.

What's everybody else use/recommend?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Please do your part and dont buy monster cable .

http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
  • I've heard good things about Evidence cables. Haven't testet them, though.
    http://www.evidenceaudio.com
  • I would definitely recommend wiring up a pedalboard with George L, but otherwise I'd go with something soldered. Pedals that are velcro'ed in place are more stable, which makes George L a good choice.

As for leads to the guitar and to the amp, I always like Mogami wire.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • i second the george ls for the pedals....

not sure about the hate for monster cables, i've used them for 7 years gigging 5-6 times a month and practiceing double that and every time one craps out i get a free one no questions asked...to me that beats shelling out $50 or more every time i have a cable go bad...i figure i have gotten three times my money back in cables that i have had to replace....
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Rapco cords and Proco cords are made near my house.

Also, a lot of people throw away "broken cords". In reality, all you need to do for a lot of them is pull back the safety rubber and reconnect them to the jack.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Haven't used the george l's, but I love my Elixr's! I have the 15 foot L shaped end on one side like u want. Love it, my fave cable, and I have a monster, and mogami's.
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Gonna do an all around upgrade on my rig soon and my chain is gettin the attention, maybe a few effects and some good cables.

What are the best cables around? I need a 15-20' cable with 1 angled, 1 straight. They have to be metal housing, b/c if they flex they'll eventually crap out, in my experience. I wrap my cable over my strap peg , so there shouldn't be much tension. I've have a uppper end Planet Waves and the mid grage Monster crap out on me.

Really liked the Monster Cable and was kinda lookin at the next step up to the gold jacket one. Anyone use these?

Also wondering about George L's as those have the best reputation of any cable I've seen.

What's everybody else use/recommend?

I use the Monster Rock cables without any issue whatsoever......
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • i forgot to say i use monster speaker cables to connect my head to my cabs as well...

the other guitarist in my band recently plunked down nearly $150 for a 3 foot speaker cable to connect his head and cab...this thing is over 1 inch in diameter and he boasts that it is the quietest cable on the markt...i can't recall who makes it but if i remember i will post it...i told him he is off his tits paying nearly $50 per foot for a cable....that thing is quiet though, too quiet for me...i like a very little bit of amp hiss when i gig...
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • voodoo amps makes some killer cables and amps as well!
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."