A personal matter

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The one thing I like about this board is the fact that I can get unbiased opinions from strangers who don't know me. Its a great way to get insight on something you don't feel comfortable talking with friends or family. So here it goes.....

My parents divorced when I was 10, and me and my brother ended up living with my father. He wasn't happy about raising two kids on his own and was always bitter and negative about the whole thing, he worked long hours so me and my brother spent a lot of time alone. My mom left us, remarried and moved half way across the country, while only getting to see here for a couple weeks a year. Ever since she left she talked about being apart of our lives and now its 17 years later with that same talk.

I'm now 27 and have moved passed a lot of what happen but a part of me still feels pretty empty. I'm noticing a dependency and its ruined a lot of my relationships because of it. I think its a desire to find someone to fill the void of not having parents there after the age of 10. I've moved on in a lot of ways, but there is still a part of me thats still angry at my parents for being so selfish and disregarding me and my brother. I know the only way to get over it is by building my relationship with them again, but I really have no idea how. I need to figure it out because I don't think its going to go away on its own, and my parents are still to this day too busy to take a part of the their children's life. I want to get through this so I can have a family of my own and not repeat the same mistakes.

So thats it, any experience you may have had or advice would be appreciated. I know this is a heavy subject, but there are a lot of good people on here with sound advice.....or if anything...another way of looking at things.

Thanks
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I wrote this about my real father. I used to wish he wasn't dead, so I'd have a chance to punch his face in... I don't think about it in those terms any longer. Here is something I wrote about it...

Shelving Boxes

For years
    I wasted my sanity
    Rehearsing different methods
    Of telling a memory
    How much I hated
    And how
    I needed him to pay

Never thought of this person
    As someone
    Who loved a Norwegian Elkhound
    Drank coffee
    Collected comic books
    Or breathed in and out

I only remembered the fear

So consumed
    With blaming a cartoon villain
    I refused to recognize
    The revenge was killing me
    Until one day
    I found a plastic box
    Full of marbles
    The same container
    That once held his ashes
    And I realized
    You can only bleed for so long
    Before death has its way
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • have you evr gone for therapy, just for you?
    it could probably help you out a LOT for figuring out your true needs, wants, life desires.
    i wish you the best.
    if you want a relationship with your parents, reach out. that's it. the first step is the hardest. however, also keep in mind that what you want, and what they may individually want, may not be the same thing, sadly. and that is their loss, not yours.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• have you evr gone for therapy, just for you?
    it could probably help you out a LOT for figuring out your true needs, wants, life desires.
    i wish you the best.
    if you want a relationship with your parents, reach out. that's it. the first step is the hardest. however, also keep in mind that what you want, and what they may individually want, may not be the same thing, sadly. and that is their loss, not yours.
    I was just going to write something very similar... I had a somewhat similar upbringing (divorce followed by death) and for the longest was looking for someone to take care of my wants or sometimes the opposite where I wanted to take care of someone to satisfy the feeling of completion. It made having any real relationship a nightmare and spent years wasting energy. I went for some guidance for a couple of years and learned how to be independent and what would make me happy. It was very liberating.

My good wishes to you and I hope you find personal happiness...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    I wrote this about my real father. I used to wish he wasn't dead, so I'd have a chance to punch his face in... I don't think about it in those terms any longer. Here is something I wrote about it...

Shelving Boxes

For years
    I wasted my sanity
    Rehearsing different methods
    Of telling a memory
    How much I hated
    And how
    I needed him to pay

Never thought of this person
    As someone
    Who loved a Norwegian Elkhound
    Drank coffee
    Collected comic books
    Or breathed in and out

I only remembered the fear

So consumed
    With blaming a cartoon villain
    I refused to recognize
    The revenge was killing me
    Until one day
    I found a plastic box
    Full of marbles
    The same container
    That once held his ashes
    And I realized
    You can only bleed for so long
    Before death has its way

This was amazing

but I am sorry you had to live through that to write this...
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    I did get some counciling for about a year that sparked a lot of this self awareness off, it was a great thing for me.

The hardest part is making that move to build on what I had with my parents. Sometimes I really feel like I'm the only one out of my family thats dealt with it head on, everyone else seems to be afraid of the conversation.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • The one thing I like about this board is the fact that I can get unbiased opinions from strangers who don't know me. Its a great way to get insight on something you don't feel comfortable talking with friends or family. So here it goes.....

My parents divorced when I was 10, and me and my brother ended up living with my father. He wasn't happy about raising two kids on his own and was always bitter and negative about the whole thing, he worked long hours so me and my brother spent a lot of time alone. My mom left us, remarried and moved half way across the country, while only getting to see here for a couple weeks a year. Ever since she left she talked about being apart of our lives and now its 17 years later with that same talk.

I'm now 27 and have moved passed a lot of what happen but a part of me still feels pretty empty. I'm noticing a dependency and its ruined a lot of my relationships because of it. I think its a desire to find someone to fill the void of not having parents there after the age of 10. I've moved on in a lot of ways, but there is still a part of me thats still angry at my parents for being so selfish and disregarding me and my brother. I know the only way to get over it is by building my relationship with them again, but I really have no idea how. I need to figure it out because I don't think its going to go away on its own, and my parents are still to this day too busy to take a part of the their children's life. I want to get through this so I can have a family of my own and not repeat the same mistakes.

So thats it, any experience you may have had or advice would be appreciated. I know this is a heavy subject, but there are a lot of good people on here with sound advice.....or if anything...another way of looking at things.

Thanks

Sometimes people change after they are married, irrevocably damaging the relationship. I am sorta going through that right now. Being around the other person can even drive people to the brink of insanity or beyond, and they have to get out of the relationship just to stay alive. Literally.

That being said, I couldn't imagine leaving my child. I would be willing to suffer through a poor relationship and put on a happy face in front of my son until he was 20 or older and then be selfish and focus on myself. My wife, OTOH, I don't know. She might not be willing to do that.

The only thing you could do to ammeliorate the pain is to start your own happy and healthy family. I warn you though.... it isn't easy.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    why bother....

my folks divorved just before i turned 10. afterwards, i can remember my dad picking me up half a dozen times in the first year or two. after that, nada. he paid his child support, but never called, never sent a birthday card, didn't do much of anything even tho we only lived a few miles apart the entire time.

after high school i started dropping in when i was home from college. one of those years i stopped by for christmas. the gift was socks, pencils and a 12 pack of coke. the kicker is, they (dad and stepmom) cut a 24 pack of coke in half and gave my brother the other half. so the next year i went to walmart and bought the cheapest thing i could find. a tin of popcorn for 3 or 4 bucks. :lol:

so he died just over a year ago. don't really have that empty feeling like you should when a parent dies.

then on top of all that, when i got a copy of his will, i found out that everything was left to my stepmom (fine) unless she died first, in which case, it was all left to her two kids. :roll: i did get a decent insurance payout that finished off student loans. so that was nice. but still, to name her kids just irked me. i've not talked to my step mom since the grave side service.

my mom's side was a little differnt, we were a lot closer and i do miss her.

so that point is, if they didn't want to be part of your life when you were a kid, don't sweat it now.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    why bother....

my folks divorved just before i turned 10. afterwards, i can remember my dad picking me up half a dozen times in the first year or two. after that, nada. he paid his child support, but never called, never sent a birthday card, didn't do much of anything even tho we only lived a few miles apart the entire time.

after high school i started dropping in when i was home from college. one of those years i stopped by for christmas. the gift was socks, pencils and a 12 pack of coke. the kicker is, they (dad and stepmom) cut a 24 pack of coke in half and gave my brother the other half. so the next year i went to walmart and bought the cheapest thing i could find. a tin of popcorn for 3 or 4 bucks. :lol:

so he died just over a year ago. don't really have that empty feeling like you should when a parent dies.

then on top of all that, when i got a copy of his will, i found out that everything was left to my stepmom (fine) unless she died first, in which case, it was all left to her two kids. :roll: i did get a decent insurance payout that finished off student loans. so that was nice. but still, to name her kids just irked me. i've not talked to my step mom since the grave side service.

my mom's side was a little differnt, we were a lot closer and i do miss her.

so that point is, if they didn't want to be part of your life when you were a kid, don't sweat it now.

Sorry to hear that, thats some heavy stuff to got through. I just look at it differently, I know I will repeat the same shit if I don't get over it, and it lies with my relationship with my parents. Maybe my parents and your parents did the best they could with what they knew or currently know. They both had fucked up childhoods, so I can't expect big things from them.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    my mom did the best she could. i hold no grudges agaist her, but my dad never really tried. even before they were divorced, when it came to playing catch, it was my mom that wore the glove in my family. :lol:

i'm over it. no need to cry over sour milk for your entire life. get over it, and move on.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    My own experience is that you can get a lot of clarity by journaling. As you write down your thoughts about them, yourself, and the relationship you wish you had, you'll learn what you need to have moving forward, including the people you want in your life and the kind of people to avoid.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    My unique family situation left me with some trust issues, self esteem problems and a lack of feeling secure which resulted in basically just plain fear. Fear to let people close, fear to love, fear of being hurt.
    I think although our situations are different you may have some similar issues because of abandonment.
    I have never went to counseling although my siblings have spent time there with mixed results.
    I believe in open communication and trying to find closure within families but when doing so remember your parents were just people with their own baggage who made mistakes like everyone does. So go into this with understanding and forgiveness. The one who gains the most from that will be you even if you don't get the relationship you are hoping for with your parents. I also hope you find that one love that one person who helps you heal and helps you trust as I did.
  • Maybe my parents and your parents did the best they could with what they knew or currently know. They both had fucked up childhoods, so I can't expect big things from them.

Yeah, in situations like this you have to lower your expectations or you will always feel let down.
    pandora wrote:
    My unique family situation left me with some trust issues, self esteem problems and a lack of feeling secure which resulted in basically just plain fear. Fear to let people close, fear to love, fear of being hurt.
    I think although our situations are different you may have some similar issues because of abandonment.
    I have never went to counseling although my siblings have spent time there with mixed results.
    I believe in open communication and trying to find closure within families but when doing so remember your parents were just people with their own baggage who made mistakes like everyone does. So go into this with understanding and forgiveness. The one who gains the most from that will be you even if you don't get the relationship you are hoping for with your parents. I also hope you find that one love that one person who helps you heal and helps you trust as I did.

Do you think finding one person can do it? I sometimes feel like I've asked for too much from people I dated after the fact, almost like I may have rushed them or ask them for comitments that they weren't really ready for.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Yeah, basically if you made it through childhood without starving to death and you still have most of your limbs and you don't feel compelled to strangle hookers, your parents did a fine job.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Yeah, basically if you made it through childhood without starving to death and you still have most of your limbs and you don't feel compelled to strangle hookers, your parents did a fine job.

I don't know about that :)

I liked your poem. The way I read it, it said what I was going to suggest to offhegoes. You can't place your hope for happiness in the hands of people who are ill equipped to respond to your call for "building a relationship". You may have to just let your parents go.

Finding a great therapist could work much better :). You need to know whom to ask for things, and your parents still don't seem to be the right people to meet your needs for a relationship or even a clarification. Relationships are difficult. I think you often feel insecure regardless of your background history. You need to recognize the patterns you fall into, and if you meet the right person, they will meet you halfway.

Good luck. Lots of pain in this thread. It amazes me how much suffering can come from fucked up families. Makes being a parent myself such a humbling experience.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    The one thing I like about this board is the fact that I can get unbiased opinions from strangers who don't know me. Its a great way to get insight on something you don't feel comfortable talking with friends or family. So here it goes.....

Thanks

I think parents get the chance to be in your life and build a good relationship when you are young and need them. If they blow it, that's their problem. Don't make it YOUR problem to try to repair the relationship.

I believe they will merely continue to hurt you in one way or another. They had years to do it right. They didn't care enough to do it right.

My opinion is: CUT YOUR LOSES and move on without 'em.

I know that sounds harsh, but I stand by my opinion. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    pandora wrote:

Do you think finding one person can do it? I sometimes feel like I've asked for too much from people I dated after the fact, almost like I may have rushed them or ask them for comitments that they weren't really ready for.
    Yes finding that one person to let your guard down with will heal you more than anything else but I get what you are saying about feeling like you are the needy one. I did too as I made my way through my young years with men that were not the right guys for me. Then you do feel needy mostly because your needs aren't being met. Once you meet someone who wants to understand the real you and is there for you it won't feel like being needy it feel like being found.
    I am a romantic I believe in love - love being rebuilt with your parents because that is good for your heart. Aside from your parents it is good for your heart to understand and forgive.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    I feel for you, it's a tough time. Here's a bit of my story .....

Mum left dad when I was 9, my brother and I were left with him, she came back after about a year, stayed 6 months or so then left again. Dad remarried a few years later, step-mother didn't like/understand kids, ended up moving to live with mum, had only seen her sporadically over the previous few years due to distance. Didn't see dad for maybe 11 years or so, he remarried again so had contact irregularly for about 2 years, haven't seen him for maybe 10 years (not since a funeral).

Bascially I had a lot of issues with both my parents and it has taken a lot of turmoil and heartache to unravel them. My dad I have given up on, his wife is only a year old than me and my half-brother is a year older than my son. We exchange christmas cards, and that's about it. Because my brother and I lived with him for a few years before he remarried and after my mum left I had quite a strong emotional attachment to him. Unfortunately from the age of 15 until probably 10 years ago that attachment led me to hope for/expect things from him, I don't mean materially, emotionally. For a long time I hoped he'd want to be part of my life, that the time that we'd had when it was just him, my brother and me would have been somehow as special to him as it was for me. Unfortunately, any expectations that I had for him were never met, so basically I gave up expecting anything and I feel much better about him now.

Same with my mum, I had a lot of issues with feeling abandoned etc and to be honest it took until probably 5 years ago for all that to be resolved within me. It involved a lot of talking, shouting and tears. But the difference between my mum and my dad was that my dad never would talk about the past so we could never move on. My mum was more open to building a realationship based on honesty, so I could talk to her and ask her about 'sticky' subjects. It did take a long time but I can now accept that she's just as human as I am, and she did make mistakes as much as I'll probably make mistakes in my parenting. Also again, I gave up having expectations. We therefore have a pretty good relationship. Not perfect, but what relationship is?

Oh, another thing, don't try and make them like you. I spent a lot of time trying to prove I was a good child and worthy of affection, it just made things harder for me and probably for her too.

Also counselling helps, it's good to have someone outside the situation to bounce things off/tell your innermost thoughts to.

Anyway, rambled on enough.

Good luck with it all
  • I've moved on in a lot of ways, but there is still a part of me thats still angry at my parents for being so selfish and disregarding me and my brother. I know the only way to get over it is by building my relationship with them again, but I really have no idea how. I need to figure it out because I don't think its going to go away on its own, and my parents are still to this day too busy to take a part of the their children's life. I want to get through this so I can have a family of my own and not repeat the same mistakes.

I wanted to highlight this part. You really don't need to "get over it" by building that relationship with them again. I think part of you feeling better about it is realizing it happened, knowing you can't change them and doing what you need to do to make you happy.

I mean...it sounds like you want the relationship, but it also sounds like they are "too busy" to do their part. It can't all be on you to fix things. And if they don't want to put effort into it or can't contribute to the relationship, you can't take the blame for the failure of the relationship and you almost have to write it up as a loss at some point. I don't mean that in a bad way, just that you might have to accept them for how they are and do your own thing. Just because they are your parents doesn't necessarily mean you need to have them be a huge part of your life.

My dad was a miserable alcoholic and after their divorce, my mom worked so much that she wasn't around much. As an adult now, I realized that I a) didn't/don't need him in my life and b) understood her limitations. Wrote him off and worked on fixing myself so I wouldn't be fucked up because of it. You mentioned doing some counseling, I think that would really help. I know it helped me get to a point were I realized just because they gave birth to you doesn't mean they're your family.
    It is sad in the fact that many people out there can relate, but at the same time I feel pretty god that I'm not the only one who deals with these thoughts.

Thank you
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    I don't want to give the wrong idea though, my parents are good people who made bad choices when they were younger. I have a good adult relationship with them now, and talk to the both of them a couple of times during the week. I've since talked about things with them and got over a lot of stuff.

I don't mean to get cheezy here, but its like the kid on the inside is scared, alone, and sad still. He gets that way even more so when I'm in a relationship, making irrational moves and needy towards who I date and those feelings come back to when I was 10 and when my mom took off. I don't mean to sound like I have a split personality, but more of a metaphore.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
    moral of the story....just plan on taking care of yourself. it's easier that way.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • LizardjamLizardjam Posts: 1,121
    I don't get the wanting a relationship with a parent that wasn't there or really isn't interested. My dad left when I was little and I've never longed to meet him, see him, speak with him. I don't even feel anger, I simply just don't care. There could be many reasons why this is but at the end of the day, I just don't feel like anything is missing parentwise. However, I know my relationships with men are different because i lacked that relationship with my father.

I think you should go to therapy, which i think you said you did...and insight is all well and good but it doesn't do any good unless you learn tools to help you deal with the things you think you do wrong, or against yourself or relationships. It's one thing to understand that you're doing it, and what you're doing, it's another to know how to actually change it or try to do it differently.

And as hard as it is to accept....you can't rely on any member of the family to help you with this. As much as they love you, you have to do it yourself. No words from them will change it.
    bugs in the way...I feel about you

"New music, new friends. Pearl Jam."

I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stone

"This record is us speaking out in class." -EV on PJ