PILLS, PILLS AND MORE PILLS

patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Christ now my father takes 9 pills in the morning just to start the day. That doesn't include the others he takes during the rest of the day. Trying to remember them all is such a task. I'm venting so just don't mind me. He has a pill box but it still confuses me.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Christ now my father takes 9 pills in the morning just to start the day. That doesn't include the others he takes during the rest of the day. Trying to remember them all is such a task. I'm venting so just don't mind me. He has a pill box but it still confuses me.
    my dad take 17 everyday
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Christ now my father takes 9 pills in the morning just to start the day. That doesn't include the others he takes during the rest of the day. Trying to remember them all is such a task. I'm venting so just don't mind me. He has a pill box but it still confuses me.
    my dad take 17 everyday

I think he's up to 18 now. Two more were added after Thursday's ER events. It may go up again with Monday's doctors visit. Scary when your loved one is spitting up blood.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    sorry patrick :( it is overwhelming when you see how many pills someone has to take. my mom's pill box is crazy....i'm off now to pick her up from the nursing home for another trial home visit, we have to load up on so many drugs for her just for the few days she comes home.
  • sorry patrick :( it is overwhelming when you see how many pills someone has to take. my mom's pill box is crazy....i'm off now to pick her up from the nursing home for another trial home visit, we have to load up on so many drugs for her just for the few days she comes home.

His new pill is a horse pill size and I just could not do it. But he doesn't complain he just takes it and that's that. What sucks too is some of the pills we can't get a large amount of at one time. So were always picking up refills. It's just a waste of time.
  • chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    sorry patrick :( it is overwhelming when you see how many pills someone has to take. my mom's pill box is crazy....i'm off now to pick her up from the nursing home for another trial home visit, we have to load up on so many drugs for her just for the few days she comes home.

His new pill is a horse pill size and I just could not do it. But he doesn't complain he just takes it and that's that. What sucks too is some of the pills we can't get a large amount of at one time. So were always picking up refills. It's just a waste of time.
    oh i know what you mean, constant trips to the pharmacy. i figure thank goodness she has the insurance to cover it all
  • sorry patrick :( it is overwhelming when you see how many pills someone has to take. my mom's pill box is crazy....i'm off now to pick her up from the nursing home for another trial home visit, we have to load up on so many drugs for her just for the few days she comes home.

oh i know what you mean, constant trips to the pharmacy. i figure thank goodness she has the insurance to cover it all

Yes thank god for insurance.

His time last year at the hospital which was over 7 months came in at almost three hundred thousand dollars. Insurance picked it all up. Like he joked he was saving for a rainy day and last year it poured.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    I went through a similar thing with my dad. And sometimes you wonder if it's all worth it when they're taking pills on top of pills it seems, but of course the medicine is needed. I just hope to have a more natural approach if possible. I was told I may need medicine for high blood preasure which is not a big deal but I've been trying harder at the gym and more regulation of my diet. But my dad always had a healthy diet and gym routine and it didn't seem to matter at the end. So it's good that the pills were there but I hope a more natural solution for me.
  • marcos wrote:
    I just hope to have a more natural approach if possible.

Good for you! If I had accepted the advice of my allopathic 'doctors' over the years, I would have had risky, useless surgeries for my breathing problems. And I'd be on several pharmaceutical drugs my whole life.

I did my own research and quickly realised that I simply had allergies- that's why I couldn't breathe. So avoiding the allergens made me symptom-free. I stopped eating common food and switched to organic only: My 12 year battle with insomnia stopped in its tracks, I lost 28 pounds of blubber, my skin cleared, and my heart's sensitivity to caffeine disappeared! Imagine if I was on a drug for each of those conditions...

I have not been ill in YEARS. At the end of November, 2 of my 4 pet mice developed a respiratory infection. I spent many hours online reading about mycoplasma. The consensus was that antibiotics helped temporarily, but usually did not offer a long term cure. So I decided to try to find a naturopathic veterinarian who was knowledgeable about "exotics." Unfortunately, Annoushka became much worse very quickly. Out of convenience, I took her to a vet ten minutes away. Antibiotics worked. But as expected, she has already relapsed.
    The only natural immune boosters I have in the house are Vitamin D3, probiotics, and Omega 3s. These seem to be helping Lola, the other sick mouse, but I've got to try even harder. In another week or two when I have some money, I'm going to put all of us (Me and the pets) on colloidal silver/or nano silver and 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide. Only a couple of drops of silver and peroxide are needed in a glass of water.

My advice to anyone reading: Take 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. Seek out a good naturopath if you want to get off drugs.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • marcos wrote:
    I went through a similar thing with my dad. And sometimes you wonder if it's all worth it when they're taking pills on top of pills it seems, but of course the medicine is needed. I just hope to have a more natural approach if possible. I was told I may need medicine for high blood preasure which is not a big deal but I've been trying harder at the gym and more regulation of my diet. But my dad always had a healthy diet and gym routine and it didn't seem to matter at the end. So it's good that the pills were there but I hope a more natural solution for me.

Yea all those pills just can't be good.

We have learned to have him keep a index card with him saying all that he is taking. Helps when you have a unexpected ER visit.
  • it really is a brave new world...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKyMvjPJdtM
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    well my mom just started a clinical trial and in addition to an infusion, she has to take 6 pills a day for 14 days...and that's in addition to the multitude of other pills she takes daily

hang in there pat
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    marcos wrote:
    I just hope to have a more natural approach if possible.

Good for you! If I had accepted the advice of my allopathic 'doctors' over the years, I would have had risky, useless surgeries for my breathing problems. And I'd be on several pharmaceutical drugs my whole life.

I did my own research and quickly realised that I simply had allergies- that's why I couldn't breathe. So avoiding the allergens made me symptom-free. I stopped eating common food and switched to organic only: My 12 year battle with insomnia stopped in its tracks, I lost 28 pounds of blubber, my skin cleared, and my heart's sensitivity to caffeine disappeared! Imagine if I was on a drug for each of those conditions...

I have not been ill in YEARS. At the end of November, 2 of my 4 pet mice developed a respiratory infection. I spent many hours online reading about mycoplasma. The consensus was that antibiotics helped temporarily, but usually did not offer a long term cure. So I decided to try to find a naturopathic veterinarian who was knowledgeable about "exotics." Unfortunately, Annoushka became much worse very quickly. Out of convenience, I took her to a vet ten minutes away. Antibiotics worked. But as expected, she has already relapsed.
    The only natural immune boosters I have in the house are Vitamin D3, probiotics, and Omega 3s. These seem to be helping Lola, the other sick mouse, but I've got to try even harder. In another week or two when I have some money, I'm going to put all of us (Me and the pets) on colloidal silver/or nano silver and 35% food grade hydrogen peroxide. Only a couple of drops of silver and peroxide are needed in a glass of water.

My advice to anyone reading: Take 5,000 IU of Vitamin D3 every day. Seek out a good naturopath if you want to get off drugs.

for someone as doctor/modern medicine phobic as me this is such good news. then again i dont get sick but that doesnt mean i wont in the future.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    for someone as doctor/modern medicine phobic as me this is such good news. then again i dont get sick but that doesnt mean i wont in the future.[/quote]

I think that sometimes it is a good thing to medicine phobic, especially when you see all the ads that mention possible side effects which they add really quickly or in small print at the end of ads. But I do imagine that as you get older you may have no choice. As I said my father led a very natuaral life and was never sick but at the end there seem to be no choice. But it's probably good at a younger age, it's good to try the natural approach if possible. I am thankful doctors and medicine are there, so I'm not into the holistic thing, but there is something to be said for the healthy body equals a healthy mind thing, and that some illnesses such as headaches or back pain may be psychosomatic.
  • marcos wrote:
    As I said my father led a very natuaral life and was never sick but at the end there seem to be no choice.

If Big Pharma was unable to cure him, you should not be supporting the industry. You said you might start taking a drug "Which is not a big deal." Starting down that road is a very huge deal! For most people that road doesn't end.

When I was ill, I was young. But I don't think I would have reacted any differently if I was old. I was perfectly willing to embrace conventional medicine. But it was useless, expensive, wasteful, and risky. For my severe breathing problems, I was prescribed steroids, antibiotics, decongestants, anti imflammatories. Each one helped a little but came with side effects. I also allowed my skull (and brain) to be subjected to radiation from CT scans and X rays. I had one surgery to correct a deviated septum, which the surgeon told me had a 50% probability of making me breathe freely... Well, it helped zero percent... and I had a bad reaction to anesthesia. Soon the surgeon tried to talk me into a second operation. I had finally gotten the picture. I walked away.

My mother has the same intolerance to caffeine that I developed when I was around 31. (Racing pulse, pounding heartbeat.) When I told her, she explained that the problem struck her when she was that age. "You might need a pill for that," she told me. You see, she's a nurse. All she knows about health/disease is
    1-Whatever she learned in Nursing School in the late 1960s.
    And 2-The treatments she gave to her patients in the hospitals and nursing homes she worked in for the next 40 years.
    Luckily, my heart symptoms were completely cured when I switched to organic food. I was thrilled to tell Mom that I did not need a drug to act on my heart! Whoo hoo, right?! I did not have a heart problem, I was merely poisoned with food toxins. Sadly, Mom had no interest in eating chemical-free food, even temporarily to see how she would feel. She was happy to keep on taking her heart meds every day for the rest of her life. She was only in her 50s, but refused to open her mind to anything new or different. In her opinion, having chronic conditions and taking drugs to reduce their symptoms was the epitome of health. She is 62 now, which is not remotely old. But she already has 3 or 4 "conditions" that she has no interest in curing. Her current state is as good as she is ever going to be, and she is fine with that. What a waste! I often try to encourage her to "Find another way." She refuses to read books, browse websites, or ask questions. It's terribly frustrating.

My mother began taking life-long prescriptions in her 30s. She gets a new one added on every decade, without removing any of the old ones. I am 36. I will not follow her lead! I can't imagine the state I would be in now if I had continued taking drugs, getting new diagnoses, and adding more drugs. I would likely be very sick and very old.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    I've been on tons of meds my whole life.
    I started losing my hair, huge bald spots at the age of 15. Turns out my Thyroid was completely out of whack.
    Been on Synthroid since then, hair is thick and healthy.
    Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at age 17, been on insulin therapy since then.
    Diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis just over a year ago. Taking about 7 different medications for that, alternating days.
    Yes, I find it totally necessary to take these meds. Without the Rheumatoid Meds, I can barely walk.
    Without Insulin I would die quickly.
    Im 40 years old and I'm fine taking these meds. They are for disorders that need to be treated.
    Oh yeah, I don't have insurance either. I pay for most of these meds although my endocrinologist (he's been my doc for 20 years) gives me whatever samples he can and he charges me about ten bucks for an office visit.
    Having Lab work done runs into some $$$$ but it needs to be done to keep the medicine doses correct.
    I'm fine with my pills.
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
    edited February 2010
    messed up
    Post edited by marcos on
    marcos wrote:
    As I said my father led a very natuaral life and was never sick but at the end there seem to be no choice.

If Big Pharma was unable to cure him, you should not be supporting the industry. You said you might start taking a drug "Which is not a big deal." Starting down that road is a very huge deal! For most people that road doesn't end.

When I was ill, I was young. But I don't think I would have reacted any differently if I was old. I was perfectly willing to embrace conventional medicine. But it was useless, expensive, wasteful, and risky. For my severe breathing problems, I was prescribed steroids, antibiotics, decongestants, anti imflammatories. Each one helped a little but came with side effects. I also allowed my skull (and brain) to be subjected to radiation from CT scans and X rays. I had one surgery to correct a deviated septum, which the surgeon told me had a 50% probability of making me breathe freely... Well, it helped zero percent... and I had a bad reaction to anesthesia. Soon the surgeon tried to talk me into a second operation. I had finally gotten the picture. I walked away.

My mother has the same intolerance to caffeine that I developed when I was around 31. (Racing pulse, pounding heartbeat.) When I told her, she explained that the problem struck her when she was that age. "You might need a pill for that," she told me. You see, she's a nurse. All she knows about health/disease is
    1-Whatever she learned in Nursing School in the late 1960s.
    And 2-The treatments she gave to her patients in the hospitals and nursing homes she worked in for the next 40 years.
    Luckily, my heart symptoms were completely cured when I switched to organic food. I was thrilled to tell Mom that I did not need a drug to act on my heart! Whoo hoo, right?! I did not have a heart problem, I was merely poisoned with food toxins. Sadly, Mom had no interest in eating chemical-free food, even temporarily to see how she would feel. She was happy to keep on taking her heart meds every day for the rest of her life. She was only in her 50s, but refused to open her mind to anything new or different. In her opinion, having chronic conditions and taking drugs to reduce their symptoms was the epitome of health. She is 62 now, which is not remotely old. But she already has 3 or 4 "conditions" that she has no interest in curing. Her current state is as good as she is ever going to be, and she is fine with that. What a waste! I often try to encourage her to "Find another way." She refuses to read books, browse websites, or ask questions. It's terribly frustrating.

My mother began taking life-long prescriptions in her 30s. She gets a new one added on every decade, without removing any of the old ones. I am 36. I will not follow her lead! I can't imagine the state I would be in now if I had continued taking drugs, getting new diagnoses, and adding more drugs. I would likely be very sick and very old.

I completely agree and should have been more clear. I meant to say that my diagnosis of possible high blood pressure at the current stage and my age was maybe not a big deal in comparison to what other people have to take medicine for. I still have the option to treat it in a more natural way then taking pills, pills, and more. Your assessment is right on that it is a big deal to take medicine and that is why I'm trying a more natural approach. And it sounds like you have learned from the experiences of your mother. I wish her wellness.