'man of the hour' is so much better than 'guaranteed'

chikevinchikevin Posts: 421
edited December 2007 in The Porch
don't get me wrong, i'd love to see 'guaranteed' win, but please...if 'MOTH' can't even get nominated and 'guaranteed' is up against that song from 'dreamgirls'...
...please...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    I've always found Man of the Hour to be a little.. well, boring.

On the other hand while Guaranteed may not be a personal favorite of mine, it has some life to it!
  • Surely guaranteed is being nominated because it's recent?? Man of the Hour is a better song than many, but Guaranteed is still great, and is recent...
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Surely guaranteed is being nominated because it's recent?? Man of the Hour is a better song than many, but Guaranteed is still great, and is recent...
    i assume the original poster meant that if MOTH didnt win the year it was made than Guaranteed doesnt deserve to win this year... and i agree... i think Setting Forth is a better song anyway...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,272
    well Scorcese didn't win for his best movie.
    I miss igotid88
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    i assume the original poster meant that if MOTH didnt win the year it was made than Guaranteed doesnt deserve to win this year... and i agree... i think Setting Forth is a better song anyway...

Ahh yeah you're right... sorry, just woken up :rolleyes:
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• lets be honest. its an honor to be nominated, but looking at the other songs nominated, You Know My Name by Chris Cornell should win in a land slide. Congrats to Eddie though.
    PJ: Hartford 6/27/08 Mansfield 6/30/08 Philly 3 Oct. 30 2009
    Philly 4 Oct. 31 2009 Hartford May 2010 Boston May 2010 MSG 1 May 2010
    EV: Albany 1 and 2 June 2009 Providence June 15 2011 Hartford June 18 2011
  • wilmack88 wrote:
    lets be honest. its an honor to be nominated, but looking at the other songs nominated, You Know My Name by Chris Cornell should win in a land slide. Congrats to Eddie though.

Are you kidding me? Ah I'm not even getting into that...

• South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Are you kidding me? Ah I'm not even getting into that...
    Yeah I puked in my mouth a little too. That is a horrid Cornell song. An un-listenable song on un-listenable album.
    NERDS!
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    I've always found Man of the Hour to be a little.. well, boring.

On the other hand while Guaranteed may not be a personal favorite of mine, it has some life to it!

I think you have the songs backwards. Guaranteed is repetitive, and has no highs or lows. Man of the Hour has that awesome bridge that actually goes somewhere. I thin this is an easy call, but apparently it is not.
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,895
    Probably because Into the Wild is a much better movie than Big Fish is.
  • jwillmojwillmo Posts: 470
    Probably because Into the Wild is a much better movie than Big Fish is.
    Yowsa. Not that that has anything to do with the songs, but I cried like a little girl (I'm a dude) at the end of Big Fish and at the end of Into the Wild I thought, well, that kid got what was coming to him. It was well-made, but treated its character a bit too messianicly (Is that even a word?). I freaking loved Big Fish though.

And yeah, I still can't believe Man of the Hour wasn't Oscar-nominated. Fucking beautiful song. (Guarunteed is good shit, too, but not in the same league.)
  • wilmack88 wrote:
    lets be honest. its an honor to be nominated, but looking at the other songs nominated, You Know My Name by Chris Cornell should win in a land slide. Congrats to Eddie though.

Are you kidding me? I love Chris Cornell, but the entire "Carry On" album is pretty atrocious. It devastated me to hear how overproduced and, well, boring the album turned out.

PS - If you're referring to the Golden Globe nominations, I don't see how "You Know My Name" can win in a landslide, seeing how it is not even nominated. :D

The nominees for the Golden Globe are:

14. BEST ORIGINAL SONG – MOTION PICTURE
    "DESPEDIDA" – LOVE IN THE TIME OF CHOLERA
    Music by: Shakira, Antonio Pinto
    Lyrics by: Shakira
    "GRACE IS GONE" – GRACE IS GONE
    Music by: Clint Eastwood
    Lyrics by: Carole Bayer Sager
    "GUARANTEED" – INTO THE WILD
    Music & Lyrics by: Eddie Vedder
    "THAT’S HOW YOU KNOW" – ENCHANTED
    Music & Lyrics by: Alan Menken
    "WALK HARD" – WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY
    Music & Lyrics by: Marshall Crenshaw, John C. Reilly, Judd Apatow, Kasdan
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    eddie vedder rules, either way
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • over bendsover bends Posts: 1,568
    Does this bode well on his chances of getting Oscar nominated? I just want to see him perform at the Academy Awards in his little tux dammit!
    Yield!

3 Decibels Doubles the Volume

• Man of the Hour is one of my favorite Pearl Jam songs, I could not agree with you more. I think you gain appreciation for it when you see it live, I have seen acoustic Eddie only, acoustic full band, electric full band. :) Not to brag but its awesome, so beautiful.

I think it has to do with the availability of Eddie during both movies Big Fish, they were kinda in hiding. For ITW he was during interviews and hanging out with Sean Penn.
    EV Bridgeschool - October 24, 2004
    San Francisco - July 15/16/18, 2006 Bridgeschool - October 21/22, 2006
    Lollapalooza - August 5,2007
    EV Berkley - April 7/8, 2008 The Who Rock Honors - July 12, 2008
    Outside Lands - August 28, 2009 Seattle - September 21/22, 2009 San Diego - October 9, 2009
  • chikevin wrote:
    don't get me wrong, i'd love to see 'guaranteed' win, but please...if 'MOTH' can't even get nominated and 'guaranteed' is up against that song from 'dreamgirls'...
    ...please...

agreed.
    i really think a lot of it has to do with what film it is associated with/in...the critical success of the film...and sure, just the fickle/subjective nature of awards, period.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• I dunno if Guaranteed is better than MOTH or not. I mean, I like them both.

What I do know to be 100 percent factual is this: Guaranteed is the best song on Into the Wild, and anyone who thinks differently is a cretin. It's been scientifically proven. :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    Are you kidding me? I love Chris Cornell, but the entire "Carry On" album is pretty atrocious. It devastated me to hear how overproduced and, well, boring the album turned out.

I agree. :)
    I thought it was just my opinion so I haven't mentioned it. :p
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • I like 'em both equally. :P
    "I wish I was the full moon... you kept your house keys on" - Wishlist (Melbourne '03)
  • i think that the songs get nominated because of more than just being "a good song." and i especially think when a song wins it has a lot to do with how well that song fits into the themes of the movie (mood, placement...etc.) that being said, I think guaranteed has a really good chance. moth seemed out of place for me in big fish. when the credits came up i didn't really feel the connection between the song and the movie's ending...despite the subject matter of the lyrics.
    "P-E-A-R-L J-A-M is priceless to me."
  • can someone send me guaranteed? i went to my itunes to compare these 2 cause i havent listened to into the wild in awhile and for some reason that song is missing but the rest of the soundtrack is still there...
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    Two great songs, but the golden emmy globe oscar ribbon goes to Man of The Hour, IHO.
  • wilmack88 wrote:

While I am a fan of Cornell, You Know my name is totally NOT worthy of this type of acclaim. Merely making up the numbers.
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • I dunno if Guaranteed is better than MOTH or not. I mean, I like them both.

What I do know to be 100 percent factual is this: Guaranteed is the best song on Into the Wild, and anyone who thinks differently is a cretin. It's been scientifically proven. :)

Both Rise and Long Nights are arguably as good, IMHO
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
  • covincovin Posts: 42
    Well... what sort of competition was Man of the Hour up against, as compared to Guaranteed? MOTH came out in what, 2003? How can you compare award ceremonies that are years apart?

Personally, I think I enjoy Guaranteed a bit more. MOTH, the first time I heard it, was absolutely amazing. But after those first few listens, it really started to lose its power. I haven't seen that effect with Guaranteed just yet.
    Both Rise and Long Nights are arguably as good, IMHO
    IMO, Rise is the best song on the album.
  • Both Rise and Long Nights are arguably as good, IMHO

Your HO is wrong. :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do