starting my PJ LP collection

CazzaBGirlCazzaBGirl Posts: 234
edited January 2010 in The Porch
So after getting my awsome PJ Super Deluxe Reissue box set last year i have decided to start an LP collection this year,yes im a bit behind and my hubby is going :roll: lol but i want them all now,so far i have only purchased Ten and Vitalogy from eBay,i know i have a long way to go but can anyone help with a better place to shop online ? Ta :P
Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    just keep your eyes peeled for good deals. they pop up every now & again here & on eBay. some are just hard to find at a reasonable price. but if you're patient, it'll happen! good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    once u face that some have been out of print for years and your going to pay good money no matter what . its all down hill . Cheers ;)

http://www.musicstack.com/
  • Thanks for the help guys ,its going to be a slow process I KNOW but thats part of why i asked,ebay seems so pricy,the two LP'S i bought were at a good price so im happy ive got started at least!
    Hold on to the thread....The currents will shift....Glide me towards you....

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life....
  • what are you looking for? i have sealed copies of everything except the s/t (avocado) for sale and would love to help get you started with vinyl. there's nothing better, seriously.
  • PredakingPredaking Posts: 282
    Good luck. I was bitten by the vinyl bug, and am trying to get them all as well. Based upon what I've seen on ebay, Ten, Vs, and Vitalogy seem to be the cheapest LPs to get. I picked up Vitalogy for about $34. I'd love to have the others, but I have not seen anything lower than the $55 - 60 range. Too much for my tastes. I can buy a lot of used LPs for that kind of money. It is like everything else, though. If you're patient, and stick to your guns, you'll get the deal you want. I've decided to start going after the singles as well. I actually grabbed the white vinyl Fixer single in a Baltimore record shop for $8. Seeing as it would have cost me more on ebay, I was happy to pay it. Next on my list is Bushleaguer, Wishlist, Not For You, and Life Wasted...
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    I'm starting my own collection of LP's, so far I got the Fixer single and VS... hope I can get more with the time. Cheers!!
    México 24/11/2011
  • slipkidslipkid Posts: 29
    Look for record fairs near you, you may have to thumb your way through, but like today I came across Ten pic disc in mint cond for £20 and it was not a fake. So you just stick to your guns and keep searching. Also check out PJcollectors website it will give you a good starting point of what to look for.
    Enjoy the chase!
    London 04.02.92  London 28.02.92  London 11.07.93  London 14.07.93  London 28.10.96  London 29.05.2000
    Cardiff 06.06.2000  Paris 08.06.2000  Marseille 09.09.2006  London 18.06.2007  London 18.08.2009  Belfast 23.06.2010
    London 25.06.2010  Berlin 30.06.2010  Manchester 20.06.2012  Manchester 21.06.2012  EV London 30.07.2012
    Berlin 26.06.2014  Leeds 08.07.2014 EV London 07.06.2017  London 18.06.2018  London 17.07.2018 EV London 06.07.19
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    I just got vs on eBay for 40 for an excellent condition brazil copy. I hope didn't over pay
  • Dillsnufus wrote:
    I just got vs on eBay for 40 for an excellent condition brazil copy. I hope didn't over pay

I don't see the appeal of the Brazilian pressings....can anyone enlighten me?
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    I really wish they would just repress their albums...180 grams, $40 a record and i'm in. I really don't want to have to pay $150 for a copy for the hard to gets...you'd think a band that loves vinyl so much would've done this by now. Maybe we'll get lucky when they reissue the rest of the catalogue.
  • pjfan021 wrote:
    I really wish they would just repress their albums...180 grams, $40 a record and i'm in. I really don't want to have to pay $150 for a copy for the hard to gets...you'd think a band that loves vinyl so much would've done this by now. Maybe we'll get lucky when they reissue the rest of the catalogue.

It won't impact the value of the originals whatsoever....collectors are always after the originals..........
  • pjfan021 wrote:

It won't impact the value of the originals whatsoever....collectors are always after the originals..........

No it would lessen the value of originals because there would not be as much of a demand. For example, I'm after the Benny vinyl. If they re-released it, I'd buy it for the $40 or whatever and wouldn't care that it is a second pressing. If they don't ever re-release it then my demand for the original exists.

Wes
  • max8700max8700 Posts: 208
    I have Ten, Vs., Vitalogy, and No Code I'm willing to part with. Unsealed, but never been played (I know, I know, if it's been opened you gotta assume it's been played, fair enough). Just bought for the artwork. Not in any rush to sell them, so I'm firm on the prices. Ten and Vs. for $30 each, Vitalogy for $40 and No Code for $60.

If you're interested drop me a line. Thanks.

Jason
  • AmishGuy91 wrote:
    pjfan021 wrote:

No it would lessen the value of originals because there would not be as much of a demand. For example, I'm after the Benny vinyl. If they re-released it, I'd buy it for the $40 or whatever and wouldn't care that it is a second pressing. If they don't ever re-release it then my demand for the original exists.

Wes

We could go for days on this, but you are wrong...a re-issued Benny will never hurt the value of a signed #'d original Benny...it's just that simple....and it certainly isn't just PJ....with the flood of recent TOOL AENIMA re-issues, is the original pressing suddenly selling for $75 instead of the $300+ it normally fetches...no....it's value remains intact
  • DillsnufusDillsnufus Posts: 1,165
    well they're suppose to be reissuing their albums and i'm sure they'll have em in vinyl.
  • We could go for days on this, but you are wrong...a re-issued Benny will never hurt the value of a signed #'d original Benny...it's just that simple....and it certainly isn't just PJ....with the flood of recent TOOL AENIMA re-issues, is the original pressing suddenly selling for $75 instead of the $300+ it normally fetches...no....it's value remains intact

Well...no I'm not. It's really pretty simple. Right now I'm in the market for a benny vinyl. Right now I don't have any choice but to get one of the original pressings. My want for a benny vinyl is increasing the demand for it. If they re-release it, I will get the second pressing. I will then no longer have a want for a benny viny...therefore decreasing the demand of the original pressing.

Now if in this entire world I am the only person whose need for a benny vinyl can be satisfied with a second pressing, then I will concede that you are right. However I would pretty much guarantee I'm not.

Wes
  • Boxes&BooksBoxes&Books Posts: 2,672
    I have a factory sealed Untitled Vs. Vinyl for sale- $50+ 8 for shipping
    Also have a clean riot act vinyl for sale(open) - $80+8 for shipping - record/booklet is near mint and cover is in good condition .
    If anyone is interested send me a pm.
    Take both and I will ship for free. Good luck with your collecting.
  • the originals will plummet as soon as the reissues are out. if you just want vinyl for the sake of having the vinyl then wait and you'll pay $25 a piece for them. if you want originals for collecting..well..best of luck!
  • Aero83_Aero83_ Posts: 933
    I have been too afraid to start a vinyl collection because I know there would be no end in sight but I wish you the best in your endeavor, CazzaBgirl..

And as far as reissues affecting the value of the originals.. you'd have to be pretty fucking dim to think otherwise based on simple math alone. For instance, the price of my 'bitches gone wild' dvd was totally devalued due to all the piracy and reissues decreasing the demand for the originals(lucky for me wink wink)..but still the concept applies to rare vinyl as well..

again, good luck!
    ...10/31/09, 05/21/10, Peru, Los Angeles
  • Aero83_ wrote:
    I have been too afraid to start a vinyl collection because I know there would be no end in sight but I wish you the best in your endeavor, CazzaBgirl..

And as far as reissues affecting the value of the originals.. you'd have to be pretty fucking dim to think otherwise based on simple math alone. For instance, the price of my 'bitches gone wild' dvd was totally devalued due to all the piracy and reissues decreasing the demand for the originals(lucky for me wink wink)..but still the concept applies to rare vinyl as well..

again, good luck!

eloquent post, I now see the light :? :lol: :oops:
  • Aero83_ wrote:

again, good luck!

there is a definite minority when it comes to record collectors compared to those who choose vinyl as the medium to listen to music. i'd say 90% of people are getting into vinyl wouldn't be classified as "collectors" and when faced with buying an original pressing of Yield for $150 (or whatever it goes for) or buying a new reissue for $25 they're going to buy the reissue. the cover will be mint. the records won't be scratched. all the inserts will be there. if i can walk down to my local record store and buy a record i'm doing it that way. the fuss and the stress of eBay is out of the way. i don't have to pay even more for shipping. don't have to stress about people packing them correctly. i once bought a super rare record by my favorite band from ebay. the gal in england stuck it in what can only be described as a manila envelope. needless to say there are now potentially only 99 copies of said record out there. i can confirm that one as being shattered to pieces.

so just right there you've lost a huge market for potential buyers. now you have more originals for fewer people.

i'm not saying you're going to get an original pressing of Yield for $50. but the prices won't be as insane because you'll see them a hell of a lot more often. and i'm only addressing the studio albums.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    We could go for days on this, but you are wrong...a re-issued Benny will never hurt the value of a signed #'d original Benny...it's just that simple....and it certainly isn't just PJ....with the flood of recent TOOL AENIMA re-issues, is the original pressing suddenly selling for $75 instead of the $300+ it normally fetches...no....it's value remains intact

classic... because it's not your opinion... he's wrong :lol:

you're right that the original will always be worth more than the reissue... but if people want one... and they have a choice of a $40 version or a $300 one.... 87% will choose the record because all they care about is the music...

collectors will always covet the original... but when they have less competition for the bidding war it seems likely that the price will be lower

how about the south america klausen poster

that poster was selling for hundreds when it was allegedly never going to be released

now the 10c can't even sell out of the print?