I'm unemployed... now what?

arqarq Posts: 8,013
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I'm unemployed... now what? I know i have to fill my unemployment benefits paper work and all that, but man this is hard... last time i was lay off took me 2 weeks to find a job and that was 2 years ago.. now the same task is going to take me weeks? months? years?

I know there's a lot of people in this situation here on the board so:
What have you done since you lost your work?
What keep you sane?
Any psychological advise?

Any kind word is welcome and any advise would be even more welcome!
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I am so sorry to hear about this. At least you can take a little bit of solace in teh fact that 10 % of the population is in your same predicament.

I don't know your situation, but how about taking a course, or some kind of certification?
  • have a little fun for at least 3 or 4 days before you start your search.

I took a month off from everything... learned to play the ukulele, drank, read, slept, went to the gym, and drank some more. ;)

Of course I had 3 months of severance so if you don't have that you might have to look straight away.

Best of luck!
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    based on your location i would be scalping some superbowl tickets if i was you
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • I moved from CA to PA, with no job lined up...I've been looking/applying for almost a month, and it's taken a bit of time, but I'm finally getting interviews.

My advice would be to spend time every day on careerbuilder, monster, local newspaper classifieds...and apply to anything that seems like you might be interested in or qualified for. Tell everyone you know that you're looking, as word of mouth can go a long way!

and, don't get discouraged if you don't get interviews right away...just keep applying and putting your resume out there and something will come up!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • sorry for that..but good things happen to good people like u..all will be ok
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Start soaking up that unemployment like a sponge. That's what Jeebus would do...
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • arqarq Posts: 8,013
    See? I feel like i just won a $1000000! that's way i needed to say it here on the board, I'm always receiving good vibes from all my fellow fans! 8-)

Well I'm going to take this weekend off to put my mind together!

Thanks for all the advise, keep it coming! :geek:
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

eyedclaar wrote:
    Start soaking up that unemployment like a sponge. That's what Jeebus would do...

:lol: poor jesus even he is looking for a job! I wish i could give him some good references but after what happened in Haiti...
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    the last time this happened to me, i planned on just getting caught up on things around the house and in my life away from work . it was great ! but a few weeks turned into 6 months or so....

my advice is just don't have too much fun !! LOL. of course , I was unable to collect unemployment.. so that made it worse.
    if i lost my job right now, i would sponge on that for a few months just so i could finish writing my book !!
    lol

your one of the good ones, so i have no doubt in my mind that things will work out for you !

good luck !
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    A dear friend has been laid off now a year. She has decided to take the federally funded training classes they are offering because of job placement after. I believe it is a 3 month school all paid for.
    She enjoyed being laid off a bit at the start but got pretty worried after a few months. She was down right frantic by the time she found out about the school.
    If after awhile you don't find a job you could look into it.
    Good Luck
  • justamjustam Posts: 21,408
    My sister is my hero when it comes to looking for new jobs because she's done so many job searches in California and her jobs just keep getting better.

She does research on companies, different types of jobs, and then sets herself an application quota for every week. She's convinced that it's a matter of numbers. The more jobs you apply for, the better chance you have for getting a good one. You'll get more interviews than jobs, and that's figured in to her calculations...
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    As mentioned previously take a little bit of time for yourself. Maybe a few days, maybe a week, maybe two.

Then put a plan together. As mentioned spend time each day looking. Your new job is finding a job. When i was unemployed i got up in the morning and got out by 8:30 or 9am (i was younger back then so that was really early for me) and make it a point to look online, papers, maybe go out to businesses, try to network, go to meetins in your field if that is something you coudl do, set up a profile on linked in and utilize that. Perhaps meet with Recruiters.

I usually tried to do this kind of stuff until at least 2-3pm each day.

Then i did what kept me sane. I played Madden. from like 3pm till dinner every day i played my xbox and dominated bitches. I became good and it kept me sane while giving me something to do to keep my mind off being unemployed.

Best of luck too you it is very tough out there.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Very sorry to hear this.

I agree, don't wait too long. Also, if you did lose your job through no fault of your own, most states do offer fully paid training. I did it when they closed the Goverment agency I was working for back in the 90s. Take advantage of it. They usually have you take a test to try and determine where your interests/skills lie, and then they make suggestions on the results.

Good luck to you.
  • arq wrote:
    I'm unemployed... now what? I know i have to fill my unemployment benefits paper work and all that, but man this is hard... last time i was lay off took me 2 weeks to find a job and that was 2 years ago.. now the same task is going to take me weeks? months? years?

What keep you sane?

Really sorry to hear that mate!

I hope you find a new job soon, wht was it you were doing?
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates

Well I'm an architect (not licensed) and i do some graphic design, 3D+2D presentations, construction documents... all on the architectural field.
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• Sorry to hear this mate.
    If I can bring some hope, I was laid off in June 09 and just started a new job 2 weeks ago.
    It's gonna be OK ...
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    we don't know your finances, and really don't need to know them

but assuming you are like most...

don't buy anyhting you don't need. frugal is the key to make cash last as loong as possible.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Sorry to hear this, I'm there for the second time in a few years.

Try to keep yourself busy. Read, update your resume, network, get outside, look for opportunities to volunteer. . It's tough this time of year, I know. Doing these things should keep you sane, but I get pretty depressed sometimes. The winter season doesn't help. But do what you can to stay busy and try to focus on getting something - anything - done. It will give you a sense of accomplishment. And try to spend a couple hours every day devoted to job search. Have you checked out Lynda.com? I see your a designer, and taking online courses could give you a boost.
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Damn.

Good luck with the job search. I would not be surprised if I was in the same boat in a few months.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    arq wrote:

What keep you sane?

when i was laid off i put my poetry book together and had it published.
    lots of good quality time to get things you want done taken care of.

good luck.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,265
    If you want to take the ARE this is a good time to study for it. Also, I don't know everything about the IDP program through NCARB, but they have made a few concessions due to the economic climate. About 20% of architects have been laid off. I work in an association that represents architects and it eliminated 33 positions, which resulted in 26 people laid off last December. It was over 10% of staff.

This may have some useful information if you would like to remain in the design industry

http://www.aia.org/practicing/akr/AIAB079000
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,060
    Stay as far away from here as you can!!!!!!!! We're behind you , don't worry about that. But you could very easily get sucked into being on here ALL DAY!!!!!! :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Yes WayYes Way Posts: 453
    I worked for the same company for almost 8 years, and in that time I started and finished college. I graduated cum laude with a business (finance) degree, and stayed at that job as Production Manager.

On 9/11, our childcare at work was cut, and I was laid off. Yikes! I'm a busy person, and I was climbing the walls at first. At least I got to spend my days with my son, but still.

Now I've settled in to a routine of being unemployed. The job market here (Oregon) is terrible, and I don't want to work just for the sake of it. So I've occupied my time trying to finish my PJ vinyl collection (by the way, does anyone want to sell me Binaural?). I've written a lot (a story about my son, he has elf-ears), I've read, I've been here enough to know who the regulars are, and I've gone to the cheap theater.

But here's the warning: I've gotten comfortable. I'd rather write than work (who wouldn't, eh?). Be diligent, put yourself out there, and find something you really want. I recommend you find places you'd want to be, and introduce yourself. Something will work out for you at one of those places eventually, and you'll be glad you searched by place rather than job description.

Good luck to you. And enjoy yourself. You paid for your unemployment benefits.
    Apr 07, 1994/Oct 01, 1996/Jul 07, 1998/Jul 08, 1998/Aug 29, 1998/Aug 31, 1998/Sep 01, 1998/Sep 03, 1998/Sep 04, 1998/Sep 06, 1998/Jun 01, 2000/Jun 04, 2000/Jun 06, 2000/Oct 20, 2000/Oct 21, 2000/Oct 22, 2000/Oct 24, 2000/Oct 25, 2000/Oct 20, 2001/Oct 21, 2001/May 30, 2003/Jun 01, 2003/Jun 02, 2003/Jun 28, 2003/Jul 02, 2003/Oct 25, 2003/Jul 15, 2006/Jul 16, 2006/Jul 18, 2006/Jul 20, 2006/Jul 22, 2006/Jul 23, 2006/Sep 21, 2009/Sep 22, 2009/Sep 26, 2009/Sep 25, 2011
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Sell rock...unless you got a wicked jumpshot
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
    Yes Way wrote:
    ISo I've occupied my time trying to finish my PJ vinyl collection (by the way, does anyone want to sell me Binaural?)

But here's the warning: I've gotten comfortable. I'd rather write than work (who wouldn't, eh?). Be diligent, put yourself out there, and find something you really want. I recommend you find places you'd want to be, and introduce yourself. Something will work out for you at one of those places eventually, and you'll be glad you searched by place rather than job description

Well first of all i do have like 2 or 3 binaurals for sale, but i'm still in shock about my job, so i'm going to put them on the market (on here or eBay i don't know yet) soon.

And well I'm just going to take this weekend off and i'll go full speed ahead in the search of a new job!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

stickfig13 wrote:
    Sell rock...unless you got a wicked jumpshot

:lol: I don't have any clue about what this means!
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

• arq wrote:

Well first of all i do have like 2 or 3 binaurals for sale!
    :roll:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    arq wrote:

Well I'm an architect (not licensed) and i do some graphic design, 3D+2D presentations, construction documents... all on the architectural field.

maybe the govt is hiring
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    arq wrote:

maybe the govt is hiring

I know the army is looking for a few good men.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
    arq wrote:

Well first of all i do have like 2 or 3 binaurals for sale!
    :roll:

You said that you just bought and ITW lp and you couldn't buy anything now :lol:
    Neil deGrasse Tyson