Any frostbite experts?

LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
edited February 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
I was outside for only 10 minutes yesterday evening, but the windchill was about 10 below zero. Ever since then my ears have been red and aching. The don't appear to be the colors of frostbite and there is no numbness or anything, but they still ache 12 hours later.

It's weird, because I'm sure I've been in colder weather for longer without problems. Has anyone had this happen to them?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Doesn't sound like frostbite. Better get some earmuffs though... My older brother lost a little flesh on his feet/toes from frostbite when we were growing up, but we were playing out in the freezing cold for hours.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Doesn't sound like frostbite. Better get some earmuffs though... My older brother lost a little flesh on his feet/toes from frostbite when we were growing up, but we were playing out in the freezing cold for hours.
    Yeah, researching online, it sounds like I would have had to been out for at least 30 minutes in temperatures 10 to 20 degrees colder. Maybe I just have a frost burn if that makes sense. They aren't peeling or anything.. just red and still ache. I still have feeling.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    they are slightly frost-bitten ... my guess is that it was windy and that -10 actually turns to -30 with windchill ... the fact they are achy and red now show that there is some tissue damage ... it's not a big deal however, your ears will be more susceptible to the cold from here on in ...
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    eyedclaar wrote:

How many times did your Parents have to tell you...this isn't a fort to play in ???

Out_House_MSU_Fan.jpg
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    polaris_x wrote:
    they are slightly frost-bitten ... my guess is that it was windy and that -10 actually turns to -30 with windchill ... the fact they are achy and red now show that there is some tissue damage ... it's not a big deal however, your ears will be more susceptible to the cold from here on in ...
    The windchill was around -10.. I think the temp was about 5 degrees.

I suppose they would be really swollen by now if I needed to see a doctor. Just still red and sensitive. I'm fine with that and will protect them better, I just hope I wouldn't have to have them amputated. :shock:

I'm probably overreacting.. I hope.
  • RazzyLaneRazzyLane Posts: 146
    polaris_x wrote:

I suppose they would be really swollen by now if I needed to see a doctor. Just still red and sensitive. I'm fine with that and will protect them better, I just hope I wouldn't have to have them amputated. :shock:

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I was outside for maybe 15 minutes in bitter temps and the tips of my ears turned purple (quickly changed to red, though). They hurt quite a bit, but after a few days were mostly fine. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but of course if things don't continue to improve, seeing a doc may be in order.

Until the sensitivity goes away, though, do what you can to keep them covered and warm when you go outside to prevent further tissue damage. For me, I didn't notice an appreciable difference in cold sensitivity the following winter, but as someone above posted, it's certainly possible. Oh, the joys of living in colder climes.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

yeah ... no ... definitely won't need to amputate! ... if they were really frostbitten ... the tissue would be dead and black ...
    RazzyLane wrote:
    polaris_x wrote:

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. I was outside for maybe 15 minutes in bitter temps and the tips of my ears turned purple (quickly changed to red, though). They hurt quite a bit, but after a few days were mostly fine. I wouldn't be too worried about it, but of course if things don't continue to improve, seeing a doc may be in order.

Until the sensitivity goes away, though, do what you can to keep them covered and warm when you go outside to prevent further tissue damage. For me, I didn't notice an appreciable difference in cold sensitivity the following winter, but as someone above posted, it's certainly possible. Oh, the joys of living in colder climes.
    Yeah, its already starting to feel better now. One ear is almost back to normal color. I may have overreacted but had reason to be concerned when I woke up this morning and my ears still hurt.
  • RazzyLaneRazzyLane Posts: 146
    RazzyLane wrote:

Yeah, its already starting to feel better now. One ear is almost back to normal color. I may have overreacted but had reason to be concerned when I woke up this morning and my ears still hurt.

I was pretty freaked out at the time as well. :) It's a very strange feeling.

Thankfully, we both got out of the cold in time to prevent lasting damage. :!: I did a quick google search on frostnip thinking I may find a decent article for you, but after glancing at the pics that came up, I closed the page. :oops:
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    windchill was about 10 below zero.

Wind in Chicago?
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you sure they aren't red from the girl nibbling on them....ooops wrong thread

stay warm, it's cold out there.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    you sure they aren't red from the girl nibbling on them....ooops wrong thread

stay warm, it's cold out there.
    lol.. definitely would have soothed the problem.
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    As a child I had to walk a total of 4 miles throughout the day in Michigan winter's just for school. Well, I didn't get frost bite, but whatever I got did cause a lot of pain every day back then, and now, when my feet get even the slightest bit cold, they hurt. This has happened even in the summer.
    I don't know what it is, but I do know its cuz of the cold back then. I can remember having that aching, stinging feeling in my fingers so bad, that my teacher had to send me to the school nurse daily.
    Save room for dessert!
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    Amputate now; nothing to worry about later.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    It'a alright. My ears are back to normal.. no amputations required. 8-)
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328

That's good....now back to the other issue....have you kissed your woman yet?! ;)
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
    ZiggyStar wrote:

That's good....now back to the other issue....have you kissed your woman yet?! ;)
    Still working on that next date.. she's out of town. ;)