My thoughts to J.D. Salinger

cendhcendh Posts: 214
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Maybe I does not have anything to do with PJ; maybe it has.
Anyway, It makes sense to me.

I'm from Argentina, and as a teenager I've read THE CATCHER IN THE RYE for the first time. English isn't my native language, but for an assign for English Class, I've read it in Salinger's own language (this one).

I immediately loved the book. That particular book made me realize I was in the world to become a writer. From then on, I've read it over again many times. Every time is great. Then, I've found the NINE STORIES and al the rest of his material, and I grew up (now I'm 31).

I think there is a time in life where one defines which things are the ones that matter to oneself.

By the same time I discovered literacy, I also realized music REALLY mattered to me... and among many others I discovered PJ.

J. D. Salinger died yesterday; and for the first time I find myself feeling sad for the death of a stranger.

Just wanted to say so. Just wanted not to let pass this very bad news; and invite everyone to grab a JDs book from your shelves and enjoy a tinny piece of truth.

diego
Diego
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• phungiphungi Posts: 641
    amen to that... while everyone knows him for "Catcher" his best work is in "9 Stories", "Franny & Zooey", and "Raise High the Roofbeam, Carpenters & Seymour, an Introduction"...

never loved "Catcher" but he is by far my favorite... I can't say he will be "missed" since he has been in hiding for decades, but hope that others discover his works after his death...
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • First Howard Zinn and now JD Salinger. Yesterday was a sad, sad day. :cry:
  • cendhcendh Posts: 214
    Yes...
    Just right after I posted my thoughts for Salinger, I went back to the PJ HOME and found Ed's note...

Really sad.

I was born and race in Argentina, in South America, and there are quite a lot of things I just can't get about the -sometimes- outrageous imperialistic american foreign policy... I just can't understand wars, collateral damage, and what seems to be a lust for money with no end...

BUT, I also love and think great things on many many US artists, intelectuals, musicians etc. (Rappidly I recall some that are among my heroes... James Baldwin, Noam Chomsky, Carson McCullers, Truman Capote... or J.D. Salinger, or Howard Zinn.

It is particullary sad -for me- to hear when a great mind from that great country fades in time. Fortunately, they won't be forgotten.

peace.

diego
    Diego
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    I too found "Catcher" as a very young teen. Upon meeting Holden Caulfield, I felt for the first time in my life, someone else in this world understood me. "Catcher in the Rye" was on the banned book list where I attended school and it was by sheer luck that I came across a copy. I am eternally grateful for this masterpiece and the solace it brought me during a turbulent time in my life. My son (who is now in his early 20's) and I plan on re-reading "Catcher" (for the umpteenth time) in memory of J.D. Salinger. May he rest in peace.
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.