?? about sign language translator

rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Hi all
I am currently in a back rehab clinic and I have made a new friend but he is hearing impaired so we just communicate by writing down everything anyways I was wondering if there are any dvds official (or not) that have the sign language translator through the whole thing? I know a few dvd's have a song or two but I am wondering if anybody has a whole show or a compilation of songs. I think he would really like it as he has not seen anything like that. Thanks for your help
Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Can't help you there, but if the two of you are ever in Mobile, Al., around the time of Bayfest, check it out - they have interpreters at the stages. Seeing someone have to sign while the Stone Temple Pilots played last year was awesome - the guy they had was fully getting into the band as he signed. They had three people (two girls, one guy) doing the signing (they'd swap out every few songs), and STP brought the three of them on stage for a bow at the end of the show - nicely done.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    rattzey wrote:
    Hi all
    I am currently in a back rehab clinic and I have made a new friend but he is hearing impaired so we just communicate by writing down everything anyways I was wondering if there are any dvds official (or not) that have the sign language translator through the whole thing? I know a few dvd's have a song or two but I am wondering if anybody has a whole show or a compilation of songs. I think he would really like it as he has not seen anything like that. Thanks for your help

If there was a DVD with a good interpreter covering the entire song in ASL, I'd be absolutely thrilled!

Kim, the one you may have seen on Touring Band 2000 DVD, wasn't shown the entire time for GTF, just snippet here and there... that wouldn't be good for your friend because it annoyed me. I couldn't even make out what she was saying unless she was close up. Oh well.

It's better if you take him to a live PJ show with an interpreter....but good luck in finding a good interpreter for PJ. :P An interpreter makes a huge difference for the show.

Sorry I wasn't helpful. :?
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • rattzeyrattzey Posts: 877
    Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts, hmmmm I wonder if there is any clips on youtube?
    I would love to take him to a live PJ show, So hey boys, Canadian tour for my new buddy (shameless plug)
    Walkin on a slippery sidewalk listening to P.J
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I was going to refer you to the very sweet IamMine, but she's obviously on top of things. :D
  • I have been to two pj shows with an interpreter... STL 2000 and detroit a few years ago...

That's me in the TB2K with Blue Hair during given to fly looking to the right. I really had to go to the restrooms... 10 years later I look like a dork.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06
  • The person to ask about DVDs is Demetrios. If it was recorded, he most likely has it or knows about it.
    PJ: 07-16-06 ; 08-28-09 ; 10-23-10 ; 11-26-13 ; 05-13-24
    EV: 04-08-08 ; 07-05-11
    Mike: 07-07-11 ; 05-20-12
    Soundgarden: 07-21-11

10C #271XXX
    Since 2002
  • autumnautumn Posts: 191
    Not sure if this is helpful or not, but...I've seen a few PJ show in Washington DC and there has been a sign language interpreter there. I know when I'm riding the metro in and out there are quite a few people signing on the subway. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Gallaudet University being there. It's awesome to watch the interpreter deciphering Ed's words! I took 2 semesters of ASL in college and find the language beautiful to watch. Good luck with your search! :)
  • I was going to refer you to the very sweet IamMine, but she's obviously on top of things. :D

+1
    :mrgreen:

autumn wrote:
    It's awesome to watch the interpreter deciphering Ed's words!

i still want to see one do Lukin. :lol:
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

edited January 2010
    I have been to two pj shows with an interpreter... STL 2000 and detroit a few years ago...

That's me in the TB2K with Blue Hair during given to fly looking to the right. I really had to go to the restrooms... 10 years later I look like a dork.

Ah Detroit 2006, yes... those were my interpreters. :P Yeah, Stacey was the one who was pulled on the stage with Eddie for GTF.

Kim is really awesome, we've become friends since someone alerted her about my bashing her on her fuck ups on the GTF song.... she explained to me why but in general, her ASL skills are top-notch as well as moving to music. If she knew all,or at least most, songs inside and out, she'd make an excellent traveling interpreter for PJ.

Here's a secret for you all that I never told anybody about the Detroit interpreters because people think all I do is badmouth interpreters, but I DO see good interpreters and know how to identify them. :D

Luke, the other interpreter, was jealous when she got pulled on the stage...because he had been practicing GTF and Stacey didn't.

But know what... he did a lousy job anyway. For an example, he used "fly" as an airplane in sign language! :lol: What the fuck, am I some 2 year old kid wanting an airplane-style to be fed in a highchair?!
    I was going to refer you to the very sweet IamMine, but she's obviously on top of things. :D

:wave: Hello, M!!!! Still think of you every time I see a blood drive on flyers! :mrgreen: Note: be careful on the "sweet" part - that's debatable here on the board. ;)

i still want to see one do Lukin. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

Really wish somebody had videotaped the Cincy '06 interpreter... she did a hell of a job on that song! I still see it in my head and laugh my ass off!!!

Interpreter Natalie for Ed's solo show in Nashville was spared by EV on night one...but had we gone to night 2, that would have been fucking hilarious!!! Too bad...oh well.
    Post edited by IamMine on
    ~Q Magazine

• IamMine wrote:
    [
    Really wish somebody had videotaped the Cincy '06 interpreter... she did a hell of a job on that song! I still see it in my head and laugh my ass off!!!

Interpreter Natalie for Ed's solo show in Nashville was spared by EV on night one...but had we gone to night 2, that would have been fucking hilarious!!! Too bad...oh well.

well i wish somebody had too! :mrgreen:8-)

well i wish somebody had too! :mrgreen:8-)

Be careful what you wish for...you just might get it. ;)

And that goes for an unlucky interpreter who got picked for the job and getting taped for the whole world to see! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
    ~Q Magazine

• she/he might have been unlucky, but if they did Lukin they must've been good. or a good enough sport to even try it.

she/he might have been unlucky, but if they did Lukin they must've been good. or a good enough sport to even try it.

True. :D
    rattzey wrote:
    Thanks, I appreciate your thoughts, hmmmm I wonder if there is any clips on youtube?
    I would love to take him to a live PJ show, So hey boys, Canadian tour for my new buddy (shameless plug)

I just realized that you lived in Canada... as much as I love Canada (I lived there for a short time with a roommate) and how friendly people are there compared to USA (Sorry, folks, it's true)... but they do not have ADA laws like we do here.

I know this because I had a hard time requesting for an interpreter (that says a lot when I say it's hard finding a good PJ interpreter here, but at least here ADA requires them to provide me one) during the Canadian tour... their attitudes were terrible and even hung up on me. :evil:

You'd have better luck getting him in the States for a show. Unless things have recently changed there...

But meanwhile... your friend may find these videos interesting - they are done by deaf and hard of hearing performers/musicians/artists over here at http://www.d-pan.org

My friend Sean Forbes, a deaf musician who also founded this non-profit organization D-PAN, is trying to make it out there himself and we just talked today... he's also very disappointed about Rothbury festival being canceled this year (and too late to get in other festivals like Bonnaroo, Lolla, etc) because it was a great opportunity for him to show people. I'm not only bummed out for him, but I'm also bummed out because I had the opportunity to work with the Access team at Rothbury. DAMMIT!!! (whines, what am I gonna do this summer now!)

When I saw him performing last month not far from my home, I was more pleasant than ever because he's not just singing somebody else's song in ASL, but his own! He's been writing his own lyrics and making his own music! I love it! The hearing and deaf audience both loved it!

He told me he's going to have his new song/video out soon... so I can keep you posted if you'd like so you can share that with your friend... until we get him experiencing PJ in ASL. :D
    ~Q Magazine