JD Salinger has died

normnorm Posts: 31,146
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
CORNISH, N.H. (AP) -- Son says J.D. Salinger, author of Catcher in the Rye, has died at age 91.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/201 ... as_di.html
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    norm wrote:
    CORNISH, N.H. (AP) -- Son says J.D. Salinger, author of Catcher in the Rye, has died at age 91.

RIP.

...a busy 24 hours for elderly renowned authors.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    R.I.P.

Any writer who can deal with the madness of writing and make it to 91 has my respect. Out of all the classics, I never did read "Catcher." Guess I better get that done.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    Damn, Howard Zinn ... JD Salinger ... and that lady from Poltergeist ....

Zelda Rubinstein, the tiny-voiced actress who played the psychic called upon to help a surburban family rid their home of a demonic force in 1982's Poltergeist, died Wednesday at a Los Angeles hospital. She was 76. Standing at only 4 feet 3 inches tall and managing to look both aged and child-like at the same time, Rubinstein made a career playing offbeat—and often scene-stealing—characters, who often had a yen for the supernatural.

1357zeldarubinsteinpolt.jpg
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Man another year where people keep dying, and its not even the end of January.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    eyedclaar wrote:
    R.I.P.

Any writer who can deal with the madness of writing and make it to 91 has my respect. Out of all the classics, I never did read "Catcher." Guess I better get that done.

:shock: really?

i haven't read it since high school but have always been meaning to...you should really read it...it's right up your alley ;)
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    :( :(
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    R.I.P.

i haven't read it since high school but have always been meaning to...you should really read it...it's right up your alley ;)

Hey, I stopped prowling the alleys some time ago... I live in a cave now. I'll pick it up soon.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    CJMST3K wrote:
    norm wrote:

RIP.

...a busy 24 hours for elderly renowned authors.

seriously!
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    I just started reading Catcher In The Rye yesterday...a little bizarre

R.I.P. JD Salinger. :(
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    rip.gif I need to go read Catcher In The Rye again. Excellent book.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    RIP.

It IS a bad week---Adam Cartwright (Pernell Roberts) died on the 24th
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • JD SalJD Sal Posts: 790
    eyedclaar wrote:
    R.I.P.

Catcher in the Rye is a timeless classic. You should definitely check it out.

RIP to my favorite author and literary hero :( :cry:
    "If no one sees you, you're not here at all"
  • dasvidanadasvidana Posts: 1,347
    Catcher In the Rye is as relevant today as it was when Salinger wrote it. At the risk of sounding like Holden Caufield, I find myself trying to find something real amidst all the "phonies" on a regular basis these days.
    It's nice to be nice to the nice.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    JD Sal wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    R.I.P.

Catcher in the Rye is a timeless classic. You should definitely check it out.

RIP to my favorite author and literary hero :( :cry:
    without a doubt one of the best books I've ever read
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    'Cather in the Rye' is one of my all time favorite books. Have read it a few times. First time was when I was 15 or 16 - absolutely loved it 1st time I read it. RIP.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    RIP & thank you, Mr. Salinger.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    At least he lived a long and hopefully good life.

rip
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,138
    RIP Mr Salinger, loved 'Catcher in the Rye' on my list of best ever books.
    I try to re-read it every year.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    this is the best book i have ever had to read in my high school career. right next to 1984...
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • pickupyourwillpickupyourwill Posts: 3,135
    edited February 2010
    Post edited by pickupyourwill on
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    R.I.P Salinger.
    I told my bf this and he said he didn't know who he was. I laughed my ass off. Mt bf always tries to act as if he is smarter than me, but didn't even know who Salinger was..LMAO!!! He is a college grad with some additional classes.
    I knew he was stupid f8ck, but he hasn't even learned he's stupid yet. ROFLMAO!
    Teach him to treat me as he does.
    Save room for dessert!
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    i read every one of JD books and they were great. back in university, one day i decided to go and find JD. i heard that he lived in a small town named Cornish NH. i remember reading a story in esquire that kindof gave direction to JD house. so i took off and half way there i realized that it was wrong what i was doing. JD wAS A writer who wanted to be left alone. i have never care about meeting famous people but with JD you just felt like he was just some guy who you could talk too.

i never made it to Cornish but i wish i did. i just hope that (selfishly) that JD did contuine to write and we now get more great new stories from a great writer. i also hope (unselfishly) that hollywood and JD family respect JD wishes and not make Catcher a movie.

for those who have not read alot of JD stories or who think that alll he ever wrote was catcher please read Nine Strories. there are great strories like Teddy amoung others.

RIP JD thanks for the great books.
  • norm wrote:
    eyedclaar wrote:
    R.I.P.

Yeah, I never read it either. I actually bought it, started it, and then I either farted or started jerking my crank and decided to do something else more interesting. I remember I couldn't get into it. I'll give it another try but I'm not responsible for what I may do if it bores me again.

No disrespect to Salinger fans. It just didn't tickle my sweet spot.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    hopefully this will inspire someone to now shoot Mick Hucknall. :thumbup:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I read Catcher in the Rye when I was about 15 or 16. I didn't realize how much it had influenced/effected me until I read it again about 10 years later.

Never got around to reading any of his other books though.
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    "I hope to hell that when I do die somebody has the sense to just dump me in the river or something. Anything except sticking me in a goddam cemetary. People coming and putting a bunch of flowers on your stomach on Sunday, and all that crap. Who wants flowers when you're dead? Nobody."

So Salinger said.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    "An artist's only concern is to shoot for some kind of perfection, and on his own terms, not anyone else's."

RIP
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • The Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/content/news/bu ... _mourn_j_d

This "tongue in cheek" article uses the concepts espoused in Catcher in the Rye to humorously (and ironically) point out the foibles of the human condition. I find it funny.
    Hold On
  • Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    okay, haven't read catcher in the rye yet. always wanted to get around to it eventually since its a classic and then "inspired" that psycho dude to kill Lennon. it seems like an important part of history.

but I just saw a post from someone on another website whom quoted something from the Onion about "posers across the country mourning Salinger". While I get what they're saying, it also seems elitist and rude. So many people are just plain mourning the inevitability of death right now. The baby boomer generation is supposed to contain a large amount of the US population. they are in their 60's now and facing the reality of death everyday. I know because my mom makes me aware of her age and the fact that she is only 2 yrs older than her mom's death age ALL THE TIME. So while snobbish 20-something-ers sit around and laugh about the phonies, while they still borrow money from rich mommy and daddy, being care-free about death's reality until they're actually having to take care of mommy and daddy in their last years,...the rest of us just try to survive life and say " Salinger died. what a shame". Yeah, he was 91, but again he was a big part of history. Is it a wonder that its affected so many people? Why do the "educated" elitists really see the need to criticize who mourns who and if they're "qualified" to mourn that person. Maybe it just means the death of an era to some people, Onion. just like with Michael Jackson.
    Don't get so serious about it...The Onion was simply mocking Holden's attitude in the novel, not the reality of death.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    I know this tread is old but has anyone heard about the doc. that is coming out on september 6

here is the trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IPsCA6ttbc

apparently there is also a book coming out on september 3,2013