Options

Howard Zinn dies at 87

2»

Comments

• Options
    "TO BE HOPEFUL in bad times is not just foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of cruelty, but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness.

What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places—and there are so many—where people have behaved magnificently, this gives us the energy to act, and at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction.

And if we do act, in however small a way, we don’t have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory."

We'll miss you, Howard!

wow what a quote! Been feeling unbelieveably cynical lately. Yet, this quote gave me a chill, and my eyes were watering. beautiful
  • Options
    Howard Zinn @ dandelionsalad.wordpress.com

As the legendary activist and author discussed in one of his final interviews, he wants to be remembered for “introducing a different way of thinking about the world,” and as “somebody who gave people a feeling of hope and power that they didn’t have before.”

http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/remembering-howard-zinn-legacy-personal-philosophy-world-today/

http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com/2010/01/28/howard-zinn-obamas-first-100-days-2009/
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism."
    Howard Zinn

"If the gods had intended for people to vote, they would have given us candidates."
    Howard Zinn
  • Options
    Sad when people die but 87 not bad.
  • Options
    so now that the initial shock has worn off, and i've had time to really reflect, it's hit me just how much of a big deal this really is. i know there are plenty of us who respected and admired him.

it's such a huge loss.

there are no dissidents of the next generation, that are anywhere near as influential as he was.

he's not being replaced.

"“Civil disobedience is not our problem. Our problem is civil obedience. Our problem is that people all over the world have obeyed the dictates of leaders…and millions have been killed because of this obedience…Our problem is that people are obedient allover the world in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty. Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty thieves… (and) the grand thieves are running the country. That’s our problem.”
    — Howard Zinn
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Tribute to Howard Zinn on Democracy Now!, January 28, 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXLuNza-q-c
  • Options
    i was thinking about you last night. such a great man of truth and conviction. you spent your whole life trying to make the Country a better place and you never gave up. you are really missed.
  • Options
    "once we decided, at the start, that our side was the good side and the other side was evil, once we had made that simple and simplistic calculation, we did not have to think anymore.

then we could commit unspeakable crimes and it was all right.”
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Civil disobedience is not our problem.
    Our problem is civil obedience.

— Howard Zinn
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    CommyCommy Posts: 4,984
    one thing i have....i have books upon books of what's wrong with this planet, what's wrong with society.....and i have read them to the point where i can tell you what's wrong with this place, i can point out all the flaws of society. that's nothing special.

what was so great about zinn and his writing.....he showed us what we can as individuals do to change it.

his message was hope.
  • Options
    I saw this thread at the top of the board again, and my first knee-jerk thought was "Oh no! Howard Zinn's dead"... quickly followed by "Oh yeah, I've known that for ten months."

:?
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,520
    Good bump anyway.

I love this video too....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg&feature=related
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I saw this thread at the top of the board again, and my first knee-jerk thought was "Oh no! Howard Zinn's dead"... quickly followed by "Oh yeah, I've known that for ten months."

:?

:lol:

classic. that was my first thought too.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Smellyman wrote:
    Good bump anyway.

I love this video too....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg&feature=related
    this is an excellent video. 8 minutes of awesomeness. such an amazing man.