Howard Zinn has Died - RIP

2»

Comments

• SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,594
    RIP
    A PATRIOT in the truest sense of the word.
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • lockedlocked Posts: 4,038
    RIP to a true revolutionary..

I held up a sign at one of the Boston 2006 shows that read:

"Pearl Jam & Boston = Zinn City Rockers"

I got ed to smile..!
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • yataheyatahe Posts: 168
    Well atleast he can be with his departed wife again. It is very common how souls sometimes die very close in time. I am sorry for all the loved ones he left behind; including all of you. xOXOXOXO
    *KRISTAL*XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1434776887
    kristal_007@msn.com
  • A truly heavy loss, at a time where our government and our media can reflect on his words and learn from his wisdom.

Peace be with all whom he inspired.

“One certain effect of war is to diminish freedom of expression.”
    -Howard Zinn

sully
  • I have been meaning to read "People's History" for a long time but have never got around to it. Yet.

I don't know much about Howard Zinn, but it seems he has made an impact on so many people, not the least being our boys, PJ. It seems that the lines "We were but stones/Your light made us stars" could be particularly apt for him.

When so many talented people with so much potential pass away without getting to fully realise that potential, it's heartening to see someone like Howard Zinn, with so much to contribute, live such a long life in which to fulfil it.

So it goes.
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    His last words in print:
    "Obama is going to be a mediocre president -- which means, in our time, a dangerous president -- unless there is some national movement to push him in a better direction"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZnkLoGJ ... re=related
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • EV40321EV40321 Posts: 31
    that is true my friend meme. i saw him just a year ago here in greece in a speach he gave. he was no friendly to obama nor his policy and unfortunately as time goes by his words become true.

Howrd Zinn a great american writer and teacher. RIP
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    True American Patriot. Howard you will be missed. RIP.
  • I was like 10ft away from him at the Ed solo show in Boston in '08.....i wanted to shoot the shit with him but he was gone as soon as hard sun was over.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    I had the honor of shaking his hand and thanking him for his work at Ed's solo show Boston night 2, 2008. I was sitting directly in front of him and was absolutely thrilled at the opportunity to speak with him ever so briefly. He was very gracious and I was not surprised at all. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing.
  • smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,563
    There are only about 4 people who I've never met that when they die shakes me up. He's one. We (I mean everyone) will miss him and never replace him.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • MajLreapMajLreap Posts: 100
    I also shook his hand after Eddie's show in Boston. I will never forget it. There was something powerful about his handshake. It's not that his grip was tight or firm but you felt something inside when you shook his hand. Something that I can't describe. He was a great social activist and historian and I will never forget the day I met him.
  • A brilliant man. He lived to be 87, I think, so he had a long time to write, teach, lecture, etc. That's good.
  • JR86440JR86440 Posts: 742
    Zinn and Pearl Jam will forever be connected. Last April I was at The People Speak premier and Howard, Eddie, Mike and Jeff were there. I got to meet Ed one on one with my wife along with Jeff and Mike. Have my cherished pick with Ed..If not for Howard, I never would have met PJ!!
  • Democracy Now pays tribute to the great historian Howard Zinn on today's show:

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/28/h ... _a_tribute

RIP Howard Zinn.
    Like echoes, nobody hears
  • This is a rough week! I just found out that JD Salinger has died as well.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    Didnt really know anything about this guy so i cheekily downloaded "you cant be neural.." and thought it was pretty interesting, didnt really blow me away, im not american as well so thats why it didnt really hit me as much but he had a good overall message and its a shame a good mind has gone.
  • OkOk Posts: 2,144
    This is a rough week! I just found out that JD Salinger has died as well.

I just saw this as well. Two great authors gone. Sad.
  • Note from Ed on the passing of Howard Zinn

January 27, 2010

One phrase that Howard Zinn made irrelevant is that "only the good die young.,," Howard Zinn passed away today at age 87, and he was great.

Though he had a full life, one that the rest of us can only aspire to, the news is still heartbreaking. For we have lost a truly bright light, and a wisdom seemingly unparalleled.

Fortunately he has left us with a body of work so extraordinary that it will be drawn upon for centuries to come...

He was a true and constant source of inspiration for myself and countless others.. For me, he was the true embodiment of hope... And a living reminder to keep that hope alive.

I'm so grateful for his friendship..
    I will miss him for the rest of my days.

Ed
  • "Behind the deceptive words designed to entice people into supporting violence -- words like democracy, freedom, self-defense, national security -- there is the reality of enormous wealth in the hands of a few, while billions of people in the world are hungry, sick, homeless."

I am so thankful to have lived in a world that gave us Howard Zinn. His brilliant mind will be greatly missed.
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    some of the articles on his death noted him to be leftist.....for a middle of the road,fiscally conservative person, I received the gift of an open mind from Mr. Zinn. My opinion...but no matter your view, he asked that you research, see all three views (yes, three...yours, mine and the truth) and take a stand for what you believe. The U.S. IS a democracy and we all have a voice. Use it.

RIP Mr. Zinn.
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • i've been in my own little world of amazingness for the last week. this made me really, really sad. i LOVE that man's work.

i was lucky enough to be front row in boston in 04 and got the chance to have a special connection to him and that show.

you will be missed my millions. you were a great man and the world is a better place because of you.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    In case anyone missed Ed's note on the front page:

http://www.pearljam.com/news/note-ed-pa ... oward-zinn

January 27, 2010

One phrase that Howard Zinn made irrelevant is that "only the good die young.,," Howard Zinn passed away today at age 87, and he was great.

Though he had a full life, one that the rest of us can only aspire to, the news is still heartbreaking. For we have lost a truly bright light, and a wisdom seemingly unparalleled.

Fortunately he has left us with a body of work so extraordinary that it will be drawn upon for centuries to come...

He was a true and constant source of inspiration for myself and countless others.. For me, he was the true embodiment of hope... And a living reminder to keep that hope alive.

I'm so grateful for his friendship..
    I will miss him for the rest of my days.

Ed
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • sorry if this has been posted.

a page of zinn quotes. good stuff.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Howard_Zinn
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*