Criminal law question

_Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Anybody know what "Pay or Appear" is in criminal law?
My ex-husband was arrested 2.5 months ago for lewd & lascivious acts with a minor under 14 (felony) & annoying a minor under 18 (misdemeanor).
I refuse to speak to him, but I want to know how the case goes. So I did a search and saw he has a court date on February 9th & the name of the even is "Pay or Appear."
What the hell does that mean?
I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    While I'm not an attorney, I can tell you "pay or appear" programs are generally used to enforce collection of court ordered costs and fines. AKA - either pay your "costs" or appear at the hearing. It really has more to do with getting money from the Defendant as opposed to any sentencing. Make sense? I don't think I put it into words very clearly, but in my head, I know what I mean ;o)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • xsmytxxsmytx Posts: 162
    gross
  • your local court should have a website (I assume that's where you got the hearing info anyway). I would search that site for info........
  • RosdowerRosdower Posts: 119
    he sounds like a real winner
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    I called the court & asked what does that mean. Duh! I was told it is for a traffic violation & not handed out in a criminal case. So, he must have a traffic ticket in addition to the molestation charges.
    I called the court & asked what does that mean. Duh! I was told it is for a traffic violation & not handed out in a criminal case. So, he must have a traffic ticket in addition to the molestation charges.

That makes sense from a collection standpoint. Most traffic courts do something similar to keep the docket from getting overwhelmed.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
    CServant wrote:

That makes sense from a collection standpoint. Most traffic courts do something similar to keep the docket from getting overwhelmed.

I was hopeful it was for his criminal case. I want to be there when they convict the bastard!
    CServant wrote:

I was hopeful it was for his criminal case. I want to be there when they convict the bastard!

Here in Denver, criminal cases will have the year followed by an "F" or "M" (felony or misdemeanor). Our cases from last year are 09FXXXXX for example. Traffic cases are usually just the ticket number. If your county has a website, this sould all be public info you can look-up.
  • MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    you should definitely be able to go to your county court's website and search the dockets. i know in philly you can search with the docket number or by name.
    MD97728 wrote:
    you should definitely be able to go to your county court's website and search the dockets. i know in philly you can search with the docket number or by name.

that's how I found out he has a court date in February. I went to the court website for the county where the molestation occurred (his bail was $100,000) & searched 'court calendar' using his name & the only thing to come up was: his name, 2/9/10, department number, & Pay or Appear. I can't find anything on his criminal case; I have to assume this is a traffic violation.
    I called the DA that is handling the criminal case & of course he didn't call me back. This stuff should be much easier to find! Maybe they just haven't even set a court date yet?
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Damn...no wonder he's your ex.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,859
    pay or appear usually refers to moving or parking violations, or in some jurisdictions open containers, disorderly conduct or marijuana possession

you would not see that for a criminal charge of lewd conduct towards a minor-at least in my experience
    If you really care about it , get the facts strait about any pending charges-it sounds like more than one. Ask for case numbers and a prosecutor to contact. Then get an attorney to make the call to find out exactly whats happening. DO not contact the authorities on your own, and if you must, keep your mouth shut and do not answer any questions.
    signed-
    land shark

EDIT:
    he may not yet have been indicted (in NY) for the arrest on the criminal charge
    the DA may be mulling over how to address the charge