Open Mic Nights

inlet13inlet13 Posts: 1,979
edited February 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Where I live, a number of bars have these to showcase and book talent. I'd like to get paid for this at night, since I love music and I have a kid on the way. But, I've never done a open mic before, and I'm quite nervous to play in front of people who will actually be listening.

So, on that note, I'll toss out a couple questions...

1. If you are allowed 3 to 4 songs,... how many covers (if any) would you play? How many originals? Do you advise all upbeat songs or should you toss in a ballad?

2. If you've gone to one of these before, does anyone ever show up solo? Meaning, my wife is pregnant, she probably doesn't want to go out to this... would it be weird to go solo or should I try to bring a friend along since it's my first time?
Here's a new demo called "in the fire":

<object height="81" width="100%"> <param name="movie" value="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt; <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param> <embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/28998869&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object> <span><a href=" - In the Fire (demo)</a> by <a href="
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    i've played a ton of these & many of them i played solo. it's a different experience when you don't know anyone in the crowd. i 'm usually a little less nervous if that's the case. as far as covers go, i'd play maybe one cover & the rest would be originals. i usually played newer originals to test them out & see if they had legs. as far as ballads v. faster songs, that's up to you! the whole set is up to you! you have 20 minutes or whatever to play what you want. if you want to do all covers, all ballads or all thrash punk (if that's your thing), go for it & have fun! i would suggest that you throw in one song that may be different from the others to mix it up a bit. it shows off your range & creativity. the main thing is to just have fun. good luck!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I usually do 3 originals and 1 cover, or 2 and 2... Do what you want, have fun, banter a bit... I LOVE playing originals, especially ones I'm getting ready to do in full band form. Honestly, I was nervous for my first, but it's a blast!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • ScrapeMySkyScrapeMySky Posts: 426
    edited January 2010
    I'd say it all depends on how you'd like to be seen. You could do all originals and see how people react, or you could play it safe with covers you know people like.
    1. I'd probably play one at the most. but that depends on what you intend to play. If you're planning to to well known songs, I'd say most of the time less is more. With 'B-side' covers you might get away with one more.
    But that's my pesonal view... I'd always prefer people liking my own stuff over them loving a cover.
    2. People do show up solo. But if it's your first, you might want to take someone. I always think it's great to share experiences such as this and if you take someone who knows a thing or two about music and playing live, there might even be the chance of productive criticism.
    But again, that's all personal and you should go with what you think might feel the most comfortable with.
    Most of all HAVE FUN! :D
    Post edited by ScrapeMySky on
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Also, I almost prefer to do it solo, then you get honest feedback!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • i got first open mike ever next sunday. just hoping to not shit myself
    uke can save the world