Currently reading a book about The West Memphis Three...

Sian-of-the-deadSian-of-the-dead Posts: 8,963
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
The Last Pentacle of the Sun: Writings in Support of the West Memphis Three to be exact.

Has anyone else read this? What are your thoughts?

I'm also interested in reading Devil's Knot: The True Story of the West Memphis Three by Mara Leveritt. Would anyone recommend this?
Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• havent read Last pentacle, but Devils Knot is one I would highly recommend. I was very angry after reading that book, in a good way, ready to storm the barricades, storm the jail and free the Wm3 myself!

However, one thing alot of these books, especially the pro-wm3 books and whatnot, unless they are written within the last year or two, Devils Knot was written in 2002/2003 I think (its not dated though, read it!), the prevailing wisdom at the time, by people like me, and the supporters in general, was that John mark Byers was the real killer. He was famously acting very wierd in the PL 1 and 2 docs. He was adament in his belief that the wm3 were guilty as sin.

Alot has changed obviously. John Mark Byers, has become a supporter of the wm3, says they are innocent, and even has gone as far as to say when they are released he will be there to greet them.

What we do know is that the only DNA found at the crime scene is that of another stepfather, the guy i think killed those 3 boys, a man named Terry Hobbs.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Have you seen paradise lost?
  • havent read Last pentacle, but Devils Knot is one I would highly recommend. I was very angry after reading that book, in a good way, ready to storm the barricades, storm the jail and free the Wm3 myself!

However, one thing alot of these books, especially the pro-wm3 books and whatnot, unless they are written within the last year or two, Devils Knot was written in 2002/2003 I think (its not dated though, read it!), the prevailing wisdom at the time, by people like me, and the supporters in general, was that John mark Byers was the real killer. He was famously acting very wierd in the PL 1 and 2 docs. He was adament in his belief that the wm3 were guilty as sin.

Alot has changed obviously. John Mark Byers, has become a supporter of the wm3, says they are innocent, and even has gone as far as to say when they are released he will be there to greet them.

What we do know is that the only DNA found at the crime scene is that of another stepfather, the guy i think killed those 3 boys, a man named Terry Hobbs.

I've been interested in the case for a while (the names Terry Hobbs and John Mark Byers are very familiar to me) but i've decided to take the plunge and actually get some material to physically read instead of sitting on the internet for hours to gain information! Amazon tells me that Devil's Knot was written in 2003 but i'll give it a read anyways. Thanks :)

Would you recommend some more recent publications? What about viewing Paradise Lost 1 + 2?
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• Brisk. wrote:
    Have you seen paradise lost?

I haven't Eduardo. I'd like to though, and the second film. Would you recommend? :)

p

I've been interested in the case for a while (the names Terry Hobbs and John Mark Byers are very familiar to me) but i've decided to take the plunge and actually get some material to physically read instead of sitting on the internet for hours to gain information! Amazon tells me that Devil's Knot was written in 2003 but i'll give it a read anyways. Thanks :)

Would you recommend some more recent publications? What about viewing Paradise Lost 1 + 2?

paradise 1 and 2 are essential viewing.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    havent read Last pentacle, but Devils Knot is one I would highly recommend. I was very angry after reading that book, in a good way, ready to storm the barricades, storm the jail and free the Wm3 myself!

I didnt know anything about the case apart from the outline stuff and i decided to watch Paradise Lost 1 + 2 as i'm not the reading type and thought they were really informative.
  • Interesting to hear about that story. In Germany you don't know much about that usually so I am searching the internet right now. Anyone has a good idea where to read about except the page mentioned on PJ homepage? I'm already through wikipedia.
  • Brisk. wrote:
    havent read Last pentacle, but Devils Knot is one I would highly recommend. I was very angry after reading that book, in a good way, ready to storm the barricades, storm the jail and free the Wm3 myself!

I didnt know anything about the case apart from the outline stuff and i decided to watch Paradise Lost 1 + 2 as i'm not the reading type and thought they were really informative.

Thanks. That might be good actually, Dave loves reading but not really about stuff like that, he's more likely to sit down and watch a film though. I've found an edition of 1+2 on Amazon, i'll order it this weekend :)

• Stonerlady wrote:
    Interesting to hear about that story. In Germany you don't know much about that usually so I am searching the internet right now. Anyone has a good idea where to read about except the page mentioned on PJ homepage? I'm already through wikipedia.

The official page:

http://www.wm3.org/

There's some good links on there too :)

• Ok thanks a lot!
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    I wouldn't bother reading it cos Ol' Man Jenkins, the janitor, did it... and Shaggy catches him... sorry to spoil it.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    I wouldn't bother reading it cos Ol' Man Jenkins, the janitor, did it... and Shaggy catches him... sorry to spoil it.

Why didn't he get away with it?

dunkman wrote:

Shit rubber mask I think. It was either that or DNA was left all over the crime scene.... but pretty sure it was the mask.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

Shit rubber mask I think. It was either that or DNA was left all over the crime scene.... but pretty sure it was the mask.

I thought it might be the pesky kids... meh, shows what I know...

dunkman wrote:

I thought it might be the pesky kids... meh, shows what I know...

it's early Sian and I need a coffee... you played that beautifully and i fucked up the pesky kids line... personally, i blame my pesky kids for me being so tired! ;)