Deodorant dilemna

gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
In the past six months or so it seems every kind of deodorant I use makes me break out in an itchy, uncomfortable rash. I even bought an "all-natural" deodorant from Origins which smellls something like cloves and basil, and it pretty much does the same thing. What can I use?? Anyone use any other type of all natural deodorants?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    Can you go without it??

Nevermind.......just read your location!!! :shock: :lol:

maybe try one of those natural stone things: http://www.kombuchapower.com/deodorant_stone.htm
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • PJPixiePJPixie Posts: 3,026
    lol at lizard!
    The best use of Life is Love.
    The best expression of Love is Time.
    The best time to Love is Now.

I'm never as good as when you're there.........
  • When I used deoderant I used to get a rash and it didnt seem to matter what I tried and so I havn't used deoderant for 15 years or so and I havn't had to adjust my bathing routine either. I guess my body just adjusted and I find that I actually have less B O problems and less irritable skin!
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    You can use baking soda.

Just mix baking soda and enough water to make it like a paste (thorough directions easily found about the internets), and apply to the skin.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Lizard wrote:
    maybe try one of those natural stone things: http://www.kombuchapower.com/deodorant_stone.htm

:o i knew a man years ago that SWORE by those rock things for deodorant. The dude smelled like a months worth of trash!!!!!!!! :lol:
  • LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

:o i knew a man years ago that SWORE by those rock things for deodorant. The dude smelled like a months worth of trash!!!!!!!! :lol:
    That's cause he using his PET ROCK!!!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    Nature's Gate is good, but I still feel like I stink by mid-day
  • Try a little sprinkle of baking soda. Works like magic! I was thrilled the first time I tried it.

Most common brands of deodorant work by clogging up pores with deadly aluminum. Baking soda is risk-free and extremely cheap! I also use it as toothpaste. It polishes my teeth lovely white. I remember when I thought that scrubbing my white teeth with the coloured dye in commercial toothpaste was a good idea...geez, I was ignorant.

This may be too much information, but: Since going organic, my sweat rarely smells at all. So I only use baking soda deodorant once every several days.
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I had problems using an anti-perspirant/deodorant. I can't wear any anti perspirant, I tried many brands and I get painful red things. It is very hard to find just plain deodorant for women. They make alot more (smelly) deodorant for men. Finally, I found a deodorant without anti perspirant by Arm and Hammer. It seems ok. On weekends if I am not going out, I do not apply anything after showering.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,801
    Lizard wrote:
    CROJAM95 wrote:
    Lizard wrote:

That's cause he using his PET ROCK!!!

i wouldnt doubt it. the dude was about 76 years old and said that he learned about the rock from africa. :?
    :think:
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Try a little sprinkle of baking soda. Works like magic! I was thrilled the first time I tried it.

Most common brands of deodorant work by clogging up pores with deadly aluminum. Baking soda is risk-free and extremely cheap! I also use it as toothpaste. It polishes my teeth lovely white. I remember when I thought that scrubbing my white teeth with the coloured dye in commercial toothpaste was a good idea...geez, I was ignorant.

This may be too much information, but: Since going organic, my sweat rarely smells at all. So I only use baking soda deodorant once every several days.

You're absolutely correct about baking soda and teeth brushing. I use baking soda and salt and it keeps the teeth white and then I also use Toms' Of Maine with baking soda which also works.

So use some by product of baking soda for the underarm I'm sure it'll help.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Lizard wrote:
    Can you go without it??

Nevermind.......just read your location!!! :shock: :lol:

LOL for the record I'm not fat and sweaty, just a majority of Houstonians.

I've seen those stones before and I figured they couldn't possibly work.

I'll have to give the old baking soda a try. Should hopefully work, at least until summer.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    mine is an unscented, aluminum free (noted on the cap) "stick" deodorant called Arm & Hammer "Essentials Natural Deodorant". I no longer get an under arm rash or dermatitis. It has an orangish cap.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • The Crystal Stick (purple one) totally works. I haven't used it in the summer months yet but it has stood up to yoga classes in a heated room... dripping sweat. Just make sure you wet it before you apply (like the directions state).
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    toms of maine deodorant and tooth paste.
    also
    baby powder works well under the arms and down the pants
    fresh nuts, that's me :mrgreen:
    yeah baking soda works well for brushing teeth and shit.
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,060
    chadwick wrote:
    toms of maine deodorant and tooth paste.
    also
    baby powder works well under the arms and down the pants
    fresh nuts, that's me :mrgreen:
    yeah baking soda works well for brushing teeth and shit.
    Shit? How does baking soda help you shit? :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    eh..i can relate. I can can't use most roll ons, esp. Ban. I get so damn itchy. I must be allergic to it. I can only use Dove Solid. I never tried the natural deodorants. I did hear that they aren't very effective though.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299
    After I turned 31, it seemed that whatever deodorant I used I would get BO within a few hours. I tried so many different kinds. I tried one that did seem to work, but it had to be applied the night before & I felt like it must be bad for me if it was that strong. So a friend of mine suggested the Crystal Stick & it definitely works. I still sweat when I'm wearing Crystal Stick, but no BO. I've even stopped wearing that as much. Only when I go to work do I wear it, the rest of the time I go au naturale and get BO maybe once every two months.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Degree for the win.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    howard stern was talking about this a few months back.

the thing that makes you itch is the iron that is found in most deodorants. i forget what he uses, but he said its the best thing ever. its some type of all natural thing that is supposed to be great. lol sorry man that's all i can say to help.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    The Crystal Stick (purple one) totally works. I haven't used it in the summer months yet but it has stood up to yoga classes in a heated room... dripping sweat. Just make sure you wet it before you apply (like the directions state).

Or you can buy it as a crystal rock, which is identical.

Apply it wet - however, I've been using it for maybe 15 years, and recently I've been breaking out in a rash. After about 2 months of having the problem, I make sure it's dry and then put on babypowder to absorb any minute remainder of moisture.

It's about as dry as a ask you can get for a deodorant, plus no sticky armpits!
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • mr.pinkmr.pink Posts: 362
    My mom swears by the stones, and she doesn't stink. But then, she doens't live in houston either and she just doens't seem like a person that would stink, ya know?

I'd try the baking soda thing, and also add a ZINC supplement to your diet.
    Twenty-ten watch it go to fire!!!