marriage and women over 40

decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
interesting article:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/2 ... n-over-40/

Dr. Stevenson said the shifts in marriage are occurring at a time when couples are less likely to marry for financial security or economic benefits and more likely to choose partners based on the “companion benefits” of marriage. She calls it the rise of the “hedonic marriage.”

“That’s marriage where you’re together for the joy of having another person to share your life with,” Dr. Stevenson said. “That’s where marriage is headed — couples who are together because they enjoy life more when they’re together.”
Stay with me...
Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I married my second (and last) husband when I was 40. This ties into the lesson of finding romance in friendship, and marrying your best friend.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    lettinggo wrote:
    I married my second (and last) husband when I was 40. This ties into the lesson of finding romance in friendship, and marrying your best friend.

nice!
    i agree.
    tho somehow i managed to find 'that guy' at the very young age of 18. :shock: luckily, didn't rush things (also didn't know at the time anyway)...spent lots of time apart, other people, etc....and then married at 23. i just thought it all read as a positive, for those who are interested and care about such things. no interest in marriage, carry on. ;)

and.....infidelity, tho still...some positives in the mix too:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/health/28well.html

The General Social Survey data also show some encouraging trends, said John P. Robinson, professor of sociology and director of the Americans’ Use of Time project at the University of Maryland. One notable shift is that couples appear to be spending slightly more time together. And married men and women also appear to have the most active sex lives, reporting sex with their spouse 58 times a year, a little more than once a week.

“We’ve looked at that as good news,” Dr. Robinson said.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• __ Posts: 6,651
    “That’s marriage where you’re together for the joy of having another person to share your life with,” Dr. Stevenson said. “That’s where marriage is headed — couples who are together because they enjoy life more when they’re together.”

What a novel concept!! ;)

Interesting article; thanks for posting. :)
    scb wrote:

What a novel concept!! ;)

Interesting article; thanks for posting. :)

well, in reality...when you think about it, it IS 'novel.' :?
    think about it. until women gained some independence, marriage contracts were more conomic than anything. the entire history of marriage, really...more about that than anything else. so this concept of marrying for love, quite NEW in the scheme of things. :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    good news, maybe there is hope for love and the human race afterall. :mrgreen:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    marriage as an institution is a farce.

the only reason to get married is for the potential tax break and SS benifits for a surving spouse. beyond that, is there really a reason to be married? I think not.

signed
    "single" guy living with woman for 6+ years
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:

the only reason to get married is for the potential tax break and SS benifits for a surving spouse. beyond that, is there really a reason to be married? I think not.

signed

whatever works for you and makes you happy....is....what works for you and makes you happy.
    i choose couple-hood with marriage, you choose it w/o. one is neither better nor worse, just a different choice. hardly a farce tho. however, i didn't post this to get into *that* debate....just thought there were some interesting trends discussed.

enjoy.
    :)
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• This is very encouraging to hear. Thanks for sharing, dreams.

With me going through my second divorce people often ask if I think I'll ever get married again. I say I'm almost sure of it. I'm a total sucker for on demand kisses and cuddles. The companionship of a marriage can be a wonderful thing.

Definitely happy to know the sentiment is gaining popularity. :mrgreen:
    I carried a watermelon
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    interesting article:

Dr. Stevenson said the shifts in marriage are occurring at a time when couples are less likely to marry for financial security or economic benefits and more likely to choose partners based on the “companion benefits” of marriage. She calls it the rise of the “hedonic marriage.”

I think you've got to be a bit of a dick to marry someone just to be with someone. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    81 wrote:

signed

For me there is, I appreciate that it may have been a personality flaw, but I felt much more secure once we were married, not financially but emotionally. We had no fancy wedding, just a registry office, no guests, 2 strangers as witnesses. But it was really important to me that he wanted to marry me, he'd always said he wasn't the marrying kind, he would never have bothered had I not asked if we could.

signed
    married woman, lived together for 9 years, married for 14 :D
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Claireack wrote:
    81 wrote:

signed

For me there is, I appreciate that it may have been a personality flaw, but I felt much more secure once we were married, not financially but emotionally. We had no fancy wedding, just a registry office, no guests, 2 strangers as witnesses. But it was really important to me that he wanted to marry me, he'd always said he wasn't the marrying kind, he would never have bothered had I not asked if we could.

signed
    thats really nice- well said
  • yahamitayahamita Posts: 1,514
    So, there is still hope for me after 40. I've been with my bf 3 years now and the problem is I am too independent! and tend to be motherly and control usually every situation. This has caused many issues, but living on my own for so long made me this way!
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me...GUARANTEED!

Hail Hail HIPPIEMOM

Wishlist Foundation-
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    info@wishlistfoundation.org
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    nuffingman wrote:
    interesting article:

I think you've got to be a bit of a dick to marry someone just to be with someone. No wonder the divorce rate is so high.

I don't know... as d2d already pointed out, the purpose of marriage has historically been a practical one. Men and women needed each other to have children. Men needed women to raise the children and take care of the domestic responsibilities. Women needed men to financially support them and the children. Thankfully, in this day and age, marriage isn't necessary to fullfil any of those purposes, but society is still coming to grips with that. I wouldn't call people dicks for viewing marriage more traditionally. Archaic, maybe, but not necessarily dicks.

Edit to clarify: I don't support the resistance of the part I bolded above; I just understand how people can get caught up in an outdated social structure.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    Claireack wrote:
    81 wrote:

signed

signed

i sort of view it the opposite. because we are not married, she can walk out the door anytime she wants, with relative ease. once married, you have to jump thru hoops to leave. so the fact that she stays tells me she wants to be there, not that she has to be there. weird maybe.

one of these days we have to get married for the social security benifits that she would pick up should i die.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    81 wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    81 wrote:

signed

signed

i sort of view it the opposite. because we are not married, she can walk out the door anytime she wants, with relative ease. once married, you have to jump thru hoops to leave. so the fact that she stays tells me she wants to be there, not that she has to be there. weird maybe.

one of these days we have to get married for the social security benifits that she would pick up should i die.

people can leave whenever they want, and have many times, married or not. they'd just still be married too. getting divorced is another thing entirely. ;)
    and i know plenty of live-in couples who split, and who's splits were just as difficult as divorces. once you start putting each other on bank accounts, naming beneficiaries, owning joint property...it can get ugly. and it can be even worse if you're not married, b/c no clear laws delineating things. my broinlaw is currently going thru this with his now ex-GF, after a 20+ year partnership. just sayin'...it indeed can go both ways. however, i absolutely see what you are saying, and i agree...it all depends on how you look at the equation. and there is no 'wrong way' to go about it.

anyhoo, i think this article is merely pointing out some positives about marriage in general, and for women over 40....who may actually WANT marriage. if they don't, well, doesn't much matter then.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...