For those of you who were actually at Lolla 07...

SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Posts: 3,371
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Does anyone else feel that this bootleg is the best at capturing the energy of the show? Every time I listen to it, I really feel like I'm there again.
"Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
-my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• IndifferenceIndifference Posts: 2,679
    I think the show 3 nights before does this better.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• are you talking about the official release (itunes)? i agree it was great, i was there and it was so much better than i thought it would be considering it was a festival, plus the size of that crowd, jeeze all the way back to the fountain. chicago has become my 2nd fave city after my hometown. this is one of the only shows i've been to where i havent heard an audience recording. would be interesting, but for whatever reason the official boot nails all aspects of the show (band performance and crowd)
  • release23420release23420 Posts: 1,176
    i havent seen the itunes one is it edited like at&t did,,, the show was fuckin sweet,,,i was right down in front mikes side :mrgreen:
  • I was Stone-side, about 100 feet back (closest I've ever been). I agree that the iTunes recording nails the intensity of the show. Its clarity, tone and richness are spot-on.

However, I am disappointed by two aspects of the recording. First, it completely omits the performance of "No More," which preceded "Rockin' In the Free World." "No More" was a very touching moment in the show, when the band brought out Thomas Young (in a wheelchair), and it causes me to wonder whether iTunes was censoring the anti-war portion of the performance. (But, unlike the AT&T webcast, "Daughter" appears in its entirety on the iTunes version.)

Second, on a more personal level, one of the top highlights of the show for me occurred during the Encore Breaks, when we were singing "Alive" for minutes on end. The recording captures some of that, but only a glimpse.

Honestly, though, I am always just honored that the band has the dedication to make and put out these bootlegs. It's a gift that I never take for granted. And, most importantly, the band totally rocked the show, in front of an estimated 200,000 people. It was hands-down the only show in my life where I've encountered such concentrated, raw, unadulterated energy from such a large crowd - it was profoundly invigorating, and it was also extremely scary at times. Just the right mix to burn it into my memory for life.
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    No chance there was 200,000 people during PJ set....the whole weekend had 160,000 people.
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    it was wayyyyy to hot

i was more concerned with getting back to my room for some fun 8-)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    it was wayyyyy to hot

haha it was so hot out...i ran down when the gate opened but I couldnt last down there for more than 3 hours...I left and came back and got back to the front 10 rows for KOL/MMJ.
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    Mcam55 wrote:
    No chance there was 200,000 people during PJ set....the whole weekend had 160,000 people.

yeah 200,000 is ALOT of people. I was not there but can't imagine that there was more than 80 or 90K during PJ's set. Grant Park isnt that big.

I know at Bonnaroo the What Stage capacity is ~100,000. I can see the number being around that during their legendary set in 08.
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
    jets521 wrote:
    Mcam55 wrote:

yeah 200,000 is ALOT of people. I was not there but can't imagine that there was more than 80 or 90K during PJ's set. Grant Park isnt that big.

I know at Bonnaroo the What Stage capacity is ~100,000. I can see the number being around that during their legendary set in 08.

Yeah...i heard somewhere the max is 80k per day.
  • IamMineIamMine Posts: 2,743
    Mcam55 wrote:
    it was wayyyyy to hot

haha it was so hot out...i ran down when the gate opened but I couldnt last down there for more than 3 hours...I left and came back and got back to the front 10 rows for KOL/MMJ.

Yeah it was fucking hot... I was there from the gates opened and when it ended.... in the same spot all day/night. Didn't go anywhere but to the bathroom a few times.

Looking back... I wish I hadn't, that my dumbass would just have packed and gone home. It was all for nothing.... 'cause the interpreters fucked me over, lying to me over and over about working out the access issue, especially for PJ and refusing to move to where we were located so that we could see them, but noo...they wanted to be on the stage and be noticed by them (especially Ed), interpreting for who? Nobody..... *shakes head*

hint: they were PJ die-hards too. :P

Anyway... yeah, I agree it wasn't 200,000 for that night.... I remember reading that it was about 160,000 for the entire weekend, so it isn't possible that it was 200,000 for the PJ show....
    JA: Why do I get the Ticketmaster question?
    EV: It's your band.
    ~Q Magazine

"Kisses for the glow...kisses for the lease." - BDRII
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    Mcam55 wrote:
    it was wayyyyy to hot

if i would have known i would of stayed in the room till 6 ish 8-)
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    The boot is better than the actual show IMO...there were way too many inconsiderate assholes who thought it was Lolla 92.

I actually enjoyed MMJ and KOL much more than PJ that day...I remember thinking it was going to rain the entire afternoon...it was very hot and humid and there were dark clouds lurking all around.

The section I was in was so tight that I actually started to feel claustrophobic because after the first few songs I literally couldn't move even if I wanted to and I was constantly watching over my shoulder because the crowd surfers were literally being thrown around as opposed to being passed around. I couldn't even dance around because my face was in the back of the head of the guy in front of me. Now maybe some of you like dry humping your fellow fans during the show but it ain't my thing.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    shaneroy wrote:
    are you talking about the official release (itunes)? i agree it was great, i was there and it was so much better than i thought it would be considering it was a festival, plus the size of that crowd, jeeze all the way back to the fountain. chicago has become my 2nd fave city after my hometown. this is one of the only shows i've been to where i havent heard an audience recording. would be interesting, but for whatever reason the official boot nails all aspects of the show (band performance and crowd)
    pearljambootlegs.org has lolla 07

One of the better audience recordings I have. The vic is a good audience boot too.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• InMyTree4InMyTree4 Posts: 1,239
    Rossum20 wrote:
    The boot is better than the actual show IMO...there were way too many inconsiderate assholes who thought it was Lolla 92.

I actually enjoyed MMJ and KOL much more than PJ that day...I remember thinking it was going to rain the entire afternoon...it was very hot and humid and there were dark clouds lurking all around.

The section I was in was so tight that I actually started to feel claustrophobic because after the first few songs I literally couldn't move even if I wanted to and I was constantly watching over my shoulder because the crowd surfers were literally being thrown around as opposed to being passed around. I couldn't even dance around because my face was in the back of the head of the guy in front of me. Now maybe some of you like dry humping your fellow fans during the show but it ain't my thing.

i wish it had rained!
    PJ:7/2/03.9/28/04.5/25/06.8/5/07.6/14/08.6/27/08.6/28/08.6/30/08.
    10/30/09.10/31/09.5/17/10.9/7/11
    EV:boston 1+2.albnay 1.boston 2010
  • I really enjoy the boot as well. Short set, but still solid with tons of energy.

God damn was it hot that day!!
  • Kings of Leon-->
    My Morning Jacket--->
    Pearl Jam

Greatest afternoon/ evening of music ever. Seriously...could you imagine a better 1,2,3 punch for festival. It was awesome.

(It might have been MMJ-->KOL--> PJ memory is a little sketchy on the details)
  • Rossum20 wrote:

your post is helping me realize that i just never ever want to see pj as ga festival
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    JB273968 wrote:
    Kings of Leon-->
    My Morning Jacket--->
    Pearl Jam

Greatest afternoon/ evening of music ever. Seriously...could you imagine a better 1,2,3 punch for festival. It was awesome.

Agreed....you got the order right the first time.

MMJ was incredible!! Remember the vintage, purple, 1970's tuxedo's they wore for their show and then singing "Move On Up' with that kids choir? And then PJ was just incredible! Hell of a weekend: Cubs on Friday, Rush Street Saturday and Lolla on Sunday. Quite the weekend!
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    JB273968 wrote:
    Kings of Leon-->
    My Morning Jacket--->
    Pearl Jam

that is preety solid.
    gotta love festivals. you see some of the worlds best acts in succession. you cant beat it anywhere on the planet

at Bonnaroo 08 on Friday my night went like this

Claypool > The Raconteurs > Chris Rock > Metallica > My Morning Jacket > Disco Biscuits

and Saturday

Zappa Plays Zappa > Levon Helm > Ivan Neville > Pearl Jam > Phil Lesh & Friends > Fuckin Kanye
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • ParksyParksy Posts: 1,749
    This was a great show... and yes KOL/MMJ/PJ a VERY good trio.

I'll take this opportunity to say once again, I got to drink from Eddie's wine bottle :D

anyone else?
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • AndySlashAndySlash Posts: 3,236
    I agree the Lolla boot does a pretty good job of capturing the experience, moreso than most boots. Still disappointed it doesn't have No More with Ben, but if I ever feel so inclined I know I can just splice the Body Of War version (or is it the one on the ITW 7"?) into it.

I keep mentioning this when Lolla 07 discussions happen, but you can still buy official FLAC or mp3 versions of the show at http://lolla.livedownloads.com/show.asp?show=2073
  • ...However, I am disappointed by two aspects of the recording. First, it completely omits the performance of "No More," which preceded "Rockin' In the Free World." "No More" was a very touching moment in the show, when the band brought out Thomas Young (in a wheelchair), and it causes me to wonder whether iTunes was censoring the anti-war portion of the performance. (But, unlike the AT&T webcast, "Daughter" appears in its entirety on the iTunes version.)

I was told this was omitted because they were selling it separately as part of another compilation and they didn't want to take way any possible profits from the song. I don't know if this is true or not but I think it had something to do with the "Body Of War" documentary. I could be wrong though.
  • silver39silver39 Posts: 1,346

The section I was in was so tight that I actually started to feel claustrophobic because after the first few songs I literally couldn't move even if I wanted to and I was constantly watching over my shoulder because the crowd surfers were literally being thrown around as opposed to being passed around. I couldn't even dance around because my face was in the back of the head of the guy in front of me. Now maybe some of you like dry humping your fellow fans during the show but it ain't my thing.[/quote]

I was there from 4pm on...waiting with very nice people, even offered me their water so none of us had to leave....then the show is about to start & some asshole decides he gonna grab my ass (i'm a girl)...this did NOT go over well with me. I almost fought this drunk a-hole right before Pearl Jam comes on. But one of the people I was standing near let me change places so I wouldn't have to be near an a-hole. Show was awesome!!!!! Except for the drunk a-holes who decided it was time for a death metal mosh pit as soo as Pearl Jam comes on stage....I got pushed into so many people and was moved so far my original spot...it really made me mad!! The show was awesome tho!!! It was an experience I'll never forget!!
    "I'll ride the wave,Where it takes me, I'll hold the pain, Release me"
    "I'm not about to give thanks or appologize"
    "Caught a bolt of lighting, cursed the day he let it go"
  • RiotAct10RiotAct10 Posts: 1,618
    Ok, there probably weren't 200,000 people watching, but let me tell you this. I am not sure I have ever seen more people standing in a field. (since I have been to many sold out college football games at my alma mater, I have been in crowds of 100,000+) It was a sight to see. Turning around and just seeing people stretched back across the entire field. And having spend the weekend walking across the field, knowing how long it was, and that no one else played the stage to probably more than a half-full field, it was pretty awesome to just turn around and see people standing in the way-way-way back watching Pearl Jam.

And the biggest reason I love that Pearl Jam plays festivals, is because it makes believers of people. Some people walk in there thinking they have no interest in seeing PJ, why are they here, etc. Then they end up saying, ok, I will watch a song or two, and two hours later, they're still standing there rocking out. The power of Pearl Jam!
    words seem so out of place.

8.21.00 Columbus | 6.24.03 Columbus | 7.9.03 NYC | 10.2.04 Toledo | 9.11.05 Kitchener | 5.20.06 Cleveland | 8.5.07 Chicago | 5.6.10 Columbus | 5.7.10 Noblesville | 5.9.10 Cleveland | 9.3.11 East Troy | 9.4.11 East Troy | 7.19.13 Chicago | 10.11.13 Pittsburgh | 10.1.14 Cincinnati | 4.8.16 Ft. Lauderdale | 4.9.16 Miami | 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle | 9.26.21 Dana Point | 10.1.21 Dana Point | 10.2.21 Dana Point | 9.16.22 Nashville | 9.17.22 Louisville | 9.18.22 St. Louis | 9.2.23 St. Paul | 9.15.23 Ft. Worth | 6.22.24 Dublin | 8.26.24 Noblesville
    6.26.11 Detroit (EdVed) | 9.23.17 Louisville (EdVed) | 9.25.21 Dana Point (EdVed) | 10.01.22 Dana Point (EdVed) | 2.6.22 Newark (EdVed)