Good flangers?

DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Any recomendations on ones to check out?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BEST flanger I have ever used it the Ibanez FL9 Analog Flanger. I can't say enough about this. This does NOT suck tone, at all. It gives you a WIDE range of possibilities, and is built like a tank. I used a Danelectro Hashbrown flange, for a while. I had no idea what I was doing but it seemed to work okay...as long as it's not taken out on the road and beaten to all hell. I'd still go with the FL9.

I will tell you this. Using the Digitech X series Flanger had a LOT of tone sucking. The Van Halen flange by MXR was WAY overpriced. The BOSS one is okay but it's not analog. You don't have an many options.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,425
    BEST flanger I have ever used it the Ibanez FL9 Analog Flanger. I can't say enough about this. This does NOT suck tone, at all. It gives you a WIDE range of possibilities, and is built like a tank. I used a Danelectro Hashbrown flange, for a while. I had no idea what I was doing but it seemed to work okay...as long as it's not taken out on the road and beaten to all hell. I'd still go with the FL9.

I will tell you this. Using the Digitech X series Flanger had a LOT of tone sucking. The Van Halen flange by MXR was WAY overpriced. The BOSS one is okay but it's not analog. You don't have an many options.

Cool....That was the one I was really focusing on, but none really stood out from reading reviews and such.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    BEST flanger I have ever used it the Ibanez FL9 Analog Flanger. I can't say enough about this. This does NOT suck tone, at all. It gives you a WIDE range of possibilities, and is built like a tank. I used a Danelectro Hashbrown flange, for a while. I had no idea what I was doing but it seemed to work okay...as long as it's not taken out on the road and beaten to all hell. I'd still go with the FL9.

Cool....That was the one I was really focusing on, but none really stood out from reading reviews and such.
    Let me know which one you decide to get. I wanted a flange, ever since I heard Stone use it on NAIS
  • Is that a rhetorical question? Like, "Name a fun way to be beaten to death"?

If I wanted to get a flanger, I'd probably go Line 6. MM4 (the big guy) or the Liqua Flange (the little guy). But as a player, I'd probably just stick with Phaser instead, not generally a big fan of Flange.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • Is that a rhetorical question? Like, "Name a fun way to be beaten to death"?

If I wanted to get a flanger, I'd probably go Line 6. MM4 (the big guy) or the Liqua Flange (the little guy). But as a player, I'd probably just stick with Phaser instead, not generally a big fan of Flange.
    The MM4 is what Mike uses...and I'd get one if A-I had the money, B-I had room on my board, and C-I could figure out how to use it :)

I heard they break down, a lot, though. Maybe that's just the DL4. As for the Phaser, the digitech Hyper Phase is amazing in terms of options and terrible in terms of tone. I'm happy with my Phase 90 :)
  • I got MM4 and BF-2. I love my MM4 for a nice tremolo, u-vibe, phaser and rotary drum but for a flanger... I'm saying Boss. Try it.
    Warsaw 96/11/01 ; Katowice 00/06/15, Katowice 00/06/16 ; Chicago 03/06/18 ; Chicago 06/05/16 ; Chicago 06/05/17 ; Chicago 07/08/05 ; Boston 08/06/30 ; Philadelphia 09/10/27 ; New York 10/05/20 ; New York 10/05/21 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/03 ; Alpine Valley 11/09/04 ; Wrigley Field 13/07/19 ; Pittsburgh 13/10/11 ; St.Louis 14/10/03
  • I know it might sound kind of silly, but as I love the guitar sound on The Wall album and tour, I would probably look into an EH Electric Mistress first. Even though I know the reissues probably don't sound as good as the originals and stuff...