framing $'s michaels and ac more

shaneroyshaneroy Posts: 75
edited January 2010 in The Porch
i got estimates from michaels to frame 4 pj and mmj posters. will ac more probably be comparable? if so i wont even bother. at the price michaels are quoting i think i'll just seek out a private shop, rather give my $ to them i guess
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    go to Hobby Lobby....much better
  • adam42381adam42381 Posts: 2,505
    Sawyer wrote:
    Agree 100%.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    i own a frame shop. beware of Michaels'. from many other frame shops i know and a part time employee i have their framing will potentially harm your print. also you can often get similar pricing from a local framer. bring michaels quote and see if they will match or get close to the price. pm me with other questions... im always on here. :)
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • shaneroy wrote:
    i got estimates from michaels to frame 4 pj and mmj posters. will ac more probably be comparable? if so i wont even bother. at the price michaels are quoting i think i'll just seek out a private shop, rather give my $ to them i guess
    Did you check out the poster frames they have? You can get them for @$12.00. They look great. You don't have to have them matted and framed by the girls. That's way to expensive.
    2009 Philly Spectrum 10/28
    2010 Jazz Fest*Kansas City*St.Louis*Columbus*Noblesville*Bristow*
    Hartford*Newark*MSG1*MSG2*Dublin*Belfast*HydePark*Nijmegen*
    Berlin*WM3Little Rock*Bridge 1&2
    2011 Eddie Vedder*Chicago*St Louis*San Diego*Long Beach*Los Angles*Santa Barbara
    PJ20 1&2*Canada Tour*Montreal*Toronto 1&2*Ottawa*Hamilton*Winnipeg*
    Saskatoon*Calgary*Edmonton*Vancouver
  • starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,925
    yeah, seriously, this framing shit is starting to reflect the "narcissism epidemic". do it yourself. buy a frame. buy some matte paper. get a measuring stick and a razor ... or scissors. scared? :lol:

he who spends the most money getting a piece of paper framed is god!! (notice the lower case... for all).

p.s. cockblocking flames that i can't afford to pay a million dollars to have a poster framed.
  • adam42381 wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:
    Agree 100%.
    We don't have these in Mass.

I gotta buck up and just do a whole bunch all by myself over the next few months.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    michaels is cheaper than a frame shop
    but the frame shops USUALLY take better care of your art and do a much better job
    find a local framer and establish a relationship-if you have multiple prints you can usually talk a deal

but they are not cheap!
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    americanframe.com is your friend
  • as per your suggestion of doein it myself with the frames they stock, i have done that with 6 posters that are 18" by 24" which is apparently a standard poster size. The franes were like $24 and i had a 50% off coupon. i'm not being a snob about this whole framing thing.the posters i need framed are the various nonstandard sizes the band has had (example camden 2008, dc 2008, mmj new years eve) I just want them in plain black frames hanging in my man cave. i dont want something over elaborate, basic simple and basic. i guess i'll try the do it yourself approach.
  • weekapaug19weekapaug19 Posts: 2,292
    shaneroy wrote:
    as per your suggestion of doein it myself with the frames they stock, i have done that with 6 posters that are 18" by 24" which is apparently a standard poster size. The franes were like $24 and i had a 50% off coupon. i'm not being a snob about this whole framing thing.the posters i need framed are the various nonstandard sizes the band has had (example camden 2008, dc 2008, mmj new years eve) I just want them in plain black frames hanging in my man cave. i dont want something over elaborate, basic simple and basic. i guess i'll try the do it yourself approach.

ya, the odd sizes are where they get you for money. americanframe.com lets you order whatever size you want, but obviously the bigger they are the more expensive they are. Estimate between $40-60 per frame, depending on size. Right now they are giving a free mat with every purchase also, I just ordered one on sunday for my Moe. Spusta print. Size was 15x20, and it was $42 shipped. Just to give an idea on price, I was gonna do my Moe. Emek print, which is much bigger (21x31), and the price was around $90 shipped I think. When you get the package from them, it's very easy to do it yourself, I was nervous at first but it really only took about 10 minutes to do
  • preble69preble69 Posts: 135
    americanframe.com is your friend

Yea just use americanframe. Dont use Michaels or AC more. they will fuck up your print. Make sure they DONT DRYMOUNT!!!!
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    Alright, so I've got a bunch of stuff framed at my house... a lot of stuff done by michael's (all of which are great and haven't damaged my posters -- I've taken the frames apart and checked), some by local frame shops in Houston, and some more by local frame shops in St. John's, Newfoundland...

Anyway, I've got a new print that I want to do that is rather large in size (14.25"x36" -- non PJ for a change), and I was scoping out some frames at americanframe.com for the first time...

I really like the options, styles, frames, and especially the prices, but I cannot figure out how to do a double mat on their website.... this print really needs the 1/4" trim of a second colour to highlight it's nuiances, but I don't want to take it to a frame shop cause it's going to be expensive as f#ck to frame... Does anyone know how to go about adding a second mat on American frames? cause I can't seem to figure it out...

If this works out well I want to do my new Showbox 04 through the website as well....

Cheers,

shep
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    shep wrote:
    Alright, so I've got a bunch of stuff framed at my house... a lot of stuff done by michael's (all of which are great and haven't damaged my posters -- I've taken the frames apart and checked), some by local frame shops in Houston, and some more by local frame shops in St. John's, Newfoundland...

Anyway, I've got a new print that I want to do that is rather large in size (14.25"x36" -- non PJ for a change), and I was scoping out some frames at americanframe.com for the first time...

I really like the options, styles, frames, and especially the prices, but I cannot figure out how to do a double mat on their website.... this print really needs the 1/4" trim of a second colour to highlight it's nuiances, but I don't want to take it to a frame shop cause it's going to be expensive as f#ck to frame... Does anyone know how to go about adding a second mat on American frames? cause I can't seem to figure it out...

If this works out well I want to do my new Showbox 04 through the website as well....

Cheers,

shep
    On the mat page, there is a tab that says 'add mat" above the choices.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • shepshep Posts: 5,765
    kool man, thanks, guess I am blind as well as "deaf" (my girlfriend tells me I'm deaf, I call it selective hearing :D )

cheers man,

shep
    Houston, Texas... Believe it or not, there are 7 million people here... must be a couple of fans who'd love to see you play.
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Posts: 9,895
    shep wrote:
    kool man, thanks, guess I am blind as well as "deaf" (my girlfriend tells me I'm deaf, I call it selective hearing :D )

cheers man,

shep

No problem, took me a minute the first time I used them as well.
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • Great advice here, thanks people.