PJ Vinyl Cleaning

pantspants Posts: 60
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Long time lurker, first time poster, but I did a quick search and couldn't find any topics about this... so I love listening to my Pearl Jam vinyl (and all of my vinyl really), but I want to take care of it. I was wondering if I could get any advice on the best way to clean it to keep the sound as clear as it can be. Do you really need to spend a few hundred dollars on an expensive automatic vacuum system or do the cheaper options work just as well? Any help would be much appreciated.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• garland09garland09 Posts: 833
    I've been using an audioquest antistatic record cleaning brush and have been getting pretty good results with it. It's not a much good on really dirty records but I usually run it over the record before playing to clean the grooves and remove the lint on the vinyl. I paid about $15 for it and so far have been pleased with the purchase.
  • DriftEdDriftEd Posts: 74
    Dont be afraid to use a little WD40. It sounds strange but sprayed on a lint free cloth can do wonders for repelling dust and loosening dirt etc. It also helps prolong needle life.
    I sometimes wonder if they know that I'm gone...
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    step 1: use an accurate thread title, like "Vinyl Cleaning" maybe?
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Every now and again when the record is dusty or has lint on it, I just use a microfiber cloth in a circular motion with the grooves. Haven't had a problem yet.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • step 1: use an accurate thread title, like "Vinyl Cleaning" maybe?
    good god ...what did you think his title meant...why do people jump down others throats in here.
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Liquid silicon mixed in some water . use a small bowl to cover the label . and paper towels to wipe it dry " Cheaper The Better " . also use like a bath towel to lay the lp on . works great and keep the grooves lubed . brings back the luster on any record . ;)

No matter witch way u clean your LP make sure it is dry before storing . Play it a couple times !!
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    step 1: use an accurate thread title, like "Vinyl Cleaning" maybe?
    good god ...what did you think his title meant...why do people jump down others throats in here.

this thread was titled "PJ cleaning." does that mean vinyl cleaning to you? If so, you are a lot smarter than me, because I thought it meant he was cleaning house and selling stuff, but even that was a guess.

accurate thread titles arent difficult. a lot of times people deliberately mistitle threads. I dont think that was the case here. example: "PJ playing in my basement" (Bad); "PJ playing my basement?" (OK)

as far as jumping down people's throats...I try not to do it but it gets difficult. how many "does anybody know when the Philly bootlegs will be released?" and how many "does anybody know when the tour will be announced?" threads have we seen lately? anytime there is news there are 20 threads on it. how would anybody know when news will come?

bottom line: think before you post (not directed towards this thread or its author).

now back to your regularly scheduled programming...
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • pantspants Posts: 60
    Thanks for the advice and sorry for the unclear thread title. I think I'll try the wet cleaning methods and then get a microfiber brush for between cleans when there is just a little dust.
  • good god ...what did you think his title meant...why do people jump down others throats in here.[/quote]

this thread was titled "PJ cleaning." does that mean vinyl cleaning to you? If so, you are a lot smarter than me, because I thought it meant he was cleaning house and selling stuff, but even that was a guess.

accurate thread titles arent difficult. a lot of times people deliberately mistitle threads. I dont think that was the case here. example: "PJ playing in my basement" (Bad); "PJ playing my basement?" (OK)

as far as jumping down people's throats...I try not to do it but it gets difficult. how many "does anybody know when the Philly bootlegs will be released?" and how many "does anybody know when the tour will be announced?" threads have we seen lately? anytime there is news there are 20 threads on it. how would anybody know when news will come?

bottom line: think before you post (not directed towards this thread or its author).

You try not to jump down other people's throats but it gets difficult?? Get a F***ing life. I'm almost embarrassed at times to claim I'm a huge PJ fan. Get a job, life, boyfriend, girlfriend, family, television, etc. Whenever you feel like you HAVE to comment on someone elses post dont. You're probably sitting in your parents basement in your fruit of the looms waiting on "info for the next tour" checking this site 10 times a day. Oh and how will anyone know news has come you ask?? Well I don't know about the rest of you, but I get an email when they announce tour dates and I do believe it would be on the main page. HELLO. Sorry but some people on this site are azzholes. Me included.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • You're probably sitting in your parents basement in your fruit of the looms waiting on "info for the next tour" checking this site 10 times a day.

this is one of the most juvenile comments ever. Usually that's saved for blabbermouth.net, not here. unclear thread titles annoy me as well, hence the reason I came here as well. I have no issue with what giventofly said. they are totally correct.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • You're probably sitting in your parents basement in your fruit of the looms waiting on "info for the next tour" checking this site 10 times a day.

this is one of the most juvenile comments ever. Usually that's saved for blabbermouth.net, not here. unclear thread titles annoy me as well, hence the reason I came here as well. I have no issue with what giventofly said. they are totally correct.

After sitting by reading some of the B.S. that has been posted on this message board over the last 10 years and commenting sparsely at best, I just get fed up with the cry baby B.S. Many people on this board feel so entitled. Like they've earned something for having 1,000 posts. So someone took a second to click on a link and it wasn't what they thought, BIG DEAL. Nobody has to write a letter describing the way one person likes their message board formatted. And if my post had one of the most juvenile comments ever, then I apologize. Although I don't know whats more childlike; calling someone out for being a jerk or crying about misleading thread topics.
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    You're probably sitting in your parents basement in your fruit of the looms waiting on "info for the next tour" checking this site 10 times a day.

After sitting by reading some of the B.S. that has been posted on this message board over the last 10 years and commenting sparsely at best, I just get fed up with the cry baby B.S. Many people on this board feel so entitled. Like they've earned something for having 1,000 posts. So someone took a second to click on a link and it wasn't what they thought, BIG DEAL. Nobody has to write a letter describing the way one person likes their message board formatted. And if my post had one of the most juvenile comments ever, then I apologize. Although I don't know whats more childlike; calling someone out for being a jerk or crying about misleading thread topics.
    I'd say both are childlike lol
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 38,009
    metsfan wrote:

I'd say both are childlike lol
    And Mets oughta know!!!!!! :mrgreen::lol:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

I agree with you on the entitlement stuff. I really do. But seriously, I don't have a shitload of time on my hands, and a lot of the stuff posted here is useful...........except when people waste my time by not knowing how to title a thread. Like "2010 tour dates", with the first post being "anyone know anything?". That's retarded. If you are asking a question that people are craving an answer for, put question marks in your title. Simple stuff like that. Or having the same goddamn thread 37 times. It's right in the terms of use of the 10C. It's just message board etiquette is all.

And it's not necessarily crying over thread topics. How else will new posters learn? I was new not long ago, and you don't know this shit until someone tells you.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014