Now i listen

theserialthrillatheserialthrilla Posts: 15,760
edited January 2010 in The Porch
ok.i know to alot of you this is going to be your normal way of doing it..

but 99% of the time i stick a cd on in the kitchen or car and listen(no i hear ) music..
Today i took my kids for swimming lessons..At which point i lay down around the pool with head phones on and played self titled album.wooow i lay there on my back in the room eyes closed and listened for the first time.really took the music in..I never get a chance to do this with 3 boys and not much free time..

Its a different place the music takes you away from where you are..total fills you ....i listened to songs ive heard 100's of time ,but heard news sounds every drum beat .edd's voice at a different level..mikes doing amazing things.

So im guessing alot of you are going yeah wtf has taken him so long to do this its nothing special .but to me it was.ive never had a ipod.was using my mobile phone today.

so my question is how do you listen to music..or how do you get the most out of a cd..is it headphones in a darkend room...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i agree that the best way to truly experience music on CD's is with headphones (and best with quality headphones, not crappy iPod ear buds). Although, I will admit that I dont often listen and space out as often as I'd like. Good for you for re-discovering self titled's greatness!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • jets521jets521 Posts: 804
    then you heard the AMAZING drumming on unemployable. as a drummer it makes my jaw drop every time i hear it...wishing i could pull it off
    Wachovia Center, Philadelphia - 10/3/05
    Tweeter Center, Camden - 5/27/06
    Verizon Center, Wash. DC - 5/30/06
    Bonnaroo, Manchester, TN - 6/14/08
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 6/19/08
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/28/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/30/09
    Spectrum, Philadelphia - 10/31/09
    Madison Square Garden, NYC - 5/21/10
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 10/21/13
    1st Mariner Arena, Baltimore - 10/27/13
    Wells Fargo Center, Philadelphia - 4/28/16
    Enterprise Center, Saint Louis - 9/18/22
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    For me its being outside that is where I enjoy music the most. I really need to be out in the air its where I am the happiest.
    I like to listen on the back deck- we can blast PJ no worries. In the hot tub or out. In the pool or out.
    The front porch is especially nice right now with the mood lighting for snowman season. I have blue led lights tucked under the covered front porch that cast psychedelic circles of blue light of different sizes on the ceiling. These lights are cool. Gives the porch an icy feel and this goes so nice under a blanket listening to PJ
    So whatever the weather whatever the season I'm enjoying PJ outside at my house.
  • Nothing beats a long walk through the woods(local nature trail) with PJ blasting into your ears while following the path cut by the moon....

*Please announce a North American tour soon. I can't take the waiting any more...lol
    1996: Augusta
    1998: Montreal, Mansfield I&II
    2000: Mansfield I&II, Montreal
    2003: Las Vegas, Toronto, Montreal, Mansfield I&III
    2005: Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec
    2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I&II
    2007: Lollapalooza
    2008: Bonnaroo, Camden I&II, Hartford, Mansfield I&II
    2009: Philadelphia III&IV
    2010: Hartford, Boston, New York City II
    2011: Alpine Valley I&II
    2013: Buffalo, Worcester I&II, Hartford, Los Angeles I&II
    2014: Tulsa, Lincoln
    2016: New York City I&II, Quebec City, Boston I&II, Chicago I&II
    2017: New York 
    2018: Seattle I&II, Boston I&II
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    My fave place ti listen is in my car. I have got a bose systen and it sounds incredible. I paticularly love a long trip into scotland or down to london to really lose myself and hear all the sounds again
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    dark room and headphones
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Sunny day
    Hammock on back deck
    iPod
    Headphones (no ear buds, real headphones)
    Cold beverage

Music never sounded better
  • Sunny day
    Hammock on back deck
    iPod
    Cold beverage

+1
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • SG GhazSG Ghaz Posts: 148
    In my room, in the dark, with my eyes closed, on my $2500 surround set, really fucking loud.
    Manchester & London 2009
    Dublin, Belfast & Werchter 2010
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 & Oslo 2012
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    metsfan wrote:
    dark room and headphones
    and do you sing along and sound like a crazy person?
    when I was a teen I did that and would sing along to Janis Joplin my favorite at the time
    the people on the other side of the door can't hear the music so you really sound insane - really
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Sunny day
    Hammock on back deck
    iPod
    Cold beverage

I'll see your sunny day and raise you a sunset, so that by the time the album ends it's dark and it's just you and the music. I used to listen to The Wall by Pink Floyd in the dark all the time - you can really get into it without any distractions... pure awesomeness.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • megatronmegatron Posts: 3,420
    i just got the bose sound deafening headphones. pretty awesome. it's definitely the best to listen on head phones.
    but
    i love cranking in the truck. got some bose in there too. so i guess it's all about the bose
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,253
    Vinyl
    Candles
    Headphones
    Red Wine
  • Vinyl
    Candles
    Headphones
    Red Wine

can see 3 out the 4 in your avatar..lol i take it mum and dad didnt want to give you the wine so early.
  • philthehipphilthehip Posts: 2,084
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    Sunny day
    Hammock on back deck
    iPod
    Cold beverage

I'll see your sunny day and raise you a sunset, so that by the time the album ends it's dark and it's just you and the music. I used to listen to The Wall by Pink Floyd in the dark all the time - you can really get into it without any distractions... pure awesomeness.

Awsome indeed :D I love the wall in the dark, another great way I have listened to it was on the cliffs overlooking wales where I live. It was pitch black and the wind and rain was battering my car with pink floyd playing. And no I was not feeling suicidal just needed time to think.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,533
    Vinyl
    Candles
    Headphones
    Red Wine

I've been using the vinyl, candles, headphones & ice tea.
    Lately it's just been ..

maxell.jpg

:P
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    My dad was drummer and my mom an alcoholic, so when I was a kid, my dad would take me on jobs and I would sleep behind the drums. Cuz of that, I FEEL music, right down into my bones. Thankfully, I can hear it also, but I love that I FEEL it.
    Thanks Daddy!
    Save room for dessert!
  • In the garage.
    I don't smoke in my house, so I spend lots of time in the garage.
    You know that expression about dancing like nobody's watching?
    The garage is the best place for that.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.