Honestly...Isn't Black Pearl Jam's very best song?

otterotter Posts: 760
edited January 2010 in The Porch
Caught it on DVE last night. It's like perfect.

And I think the best live version is 1998 in Pittsburgh. Ed extended the extended version of "we belong together" with the 'it's ok, it's ok..."

If Black is not Pearl Jam's best song what is? Betterman? Alive? Rearview Mirror? The fixer?

Not your favorite cause that changes but what is their BEST song?
I found my place......and it's alright
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• PakaPaka Posts: 471
    "the best"...there's something I don't like about this term.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    Couldn't possibly name their "best" song... kind of unquantifiable really... though I will say Black is a freakishly good song, one of my five favorite PJ songs of all-time, and one of my favorite songs by any band, ever. I've been listening to it since Ten came out and I'm yet to get sick of it.

Does that count?
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • I dont know about best,maybe :?:

I do know the version on Benny hall makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up!
  • the BEST song ever written in the HISTORY of MUSIC
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Porch,then Release....there u go
  • I really couldn't put up much of an argument to say that Black isn't PJ's best song. Ok, maybe the de-doo-doo... at the end is just a bit poppy. But still. All these years later, and I still love it every time I hear it.

That said, my favorite song (by anyone) is Immortality. I'd also say that the quintessential, sound-defining, Pearl Jam song is either RVM or Corduroy.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • MD97728MD97728 Posts: 115
    THEY'RE ALL THE GREATEST!
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    "Best" is subjective.
  • I don't like Black
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    I call TEN the best Pearl Jam effort ever. I cannot choose one song from the entire album as a favorite, much less choosing one song from the entire catalog. There has just been so f***ing much good music from PJ that I cannot call one song the best. "Black" is soooooooo good, but there are soooooooooo many others.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • I don't like Black
    i remember u..... 8-)
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Those babies are like my children. And I do have a favourite child. The boy one is much better than the girl one. Picking a favourite child turned out to be pretty easy. But picking the best pj song is much harder. If my house set on fire I'd rescue my pj records before my children.*

*jonny rock doesn't actually have children, but he does have a wife and she knows that records would get rescued before her in a fire**

**this is also a lie***

***no it isn't****

****ok, you're just talking to yourself now.
    ~~ 27 years of nothin' but failures and promises that i couldn't keep ~~
  • I don't like Black
    i remember u..... 8-)
    Part of me just wrote that to hear your reaction D! :lol::lol::lol:
    Seriously though, Black is horrible. Probably the worst song they ever wrote. :lol::lol::lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    otter wrote:
    Caught it on DVE last night. It's like perfect.

And I think the best live version is 1998 in Pittsburgh. Ed extended the extended version of "we belong together" with the 'it's ok, it's ok..."

If Black is not Pearl Jam's best song what is? Betterman? Alive? Rearview Mirror? The fixer?

Not your favorite cause that changes but what is their BEST song?
    No cause immorality is.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    I don't like Black

get_out.jpg

:lol:
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • jut put Black from Athens 06
    again,,,the best in history of music....
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    BB126827 wrote:
    Porch,then Release....there u go

I agree with this.... 100000 percent
  • There's nothing all that great about release
    2006- Boston I
    2008- Boston I+II
    2009- Toronto, Philly III+IV
    2010- Bristow, Hartford, Boston, Newark
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Well...It's Definately UP there! :)
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,640
    I really couldn't put up much of an argument to say that Black isn't PJ's best song. Ok, maybe the de-doo-doo... at the end is just a bit poppy. But still. All these years later, and I still love it every time I hear it.

That said, my favorite song (by anyone) is Immortality. I'd also say that the quintessential, sound-defining, Pearl Jam song is either RVM or Corduroy.

I always thought that "I got shit" was a very defining song too....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    I really couldn't put up much of an argument to say that Black isn't PJ's best song. Ok, maybe the de-doo-doo... at the end is just a bit poppy. But still. All these years later, and I still love it every time I hear it.

'Alive' is Kind of "Defining" TOO... :P
  • Most popular, maybe. Best ever, probably NO...
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    Just Breathe & the End are kicking my ass right now .... i always like Once the best off from Ten !! :mrgreen:
  • I agree with those that said 'best' is subjective.
    Isn't 'best' just another way of asking favourite?
    'Dissident,' maybe? 'Footsteps'?
    'Bugs'? Ergh...
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • "Best" is hard to quantify. Is it one of their best songs? -- Oh, yes, no doubt about that. But how are we defining "best?" Lyrics? Music? Vocal performance? Number of goosebumps experienced by the listener?

In my own very personal opinion, RVM is their "best" song. It's the song that keeps me going; live it leaves me wrung-out and exhausted, very cathartic. In my opinion, the "best" rock songs are all about catharsis.

When I listen to PJ's songs and try to be objective (!), I would say that "Corduroy" has the best combination of solid lyrics and music. "Black" -- that's the sound of someone's heart being ripped out. It's a powerful song, one of my favorites, but I have just one absolute favorite. :)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • I really couldn't put up much of an argument to say that Black isn't PJ's best song. Ok, maybe the de-doo-doo... at the end is just a bit poppy. But still. All these years later, and I still love it every time I hear it.

Maybe... But with Neil Young playing guitar??? I guess we're kind of off-topic now.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I don't like Black

You are now officially dead to me.....
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    There's nothing all that great about release

you've gotta be kidding me!!! one of their most beautiful songs, in my opinion. i love Black, i really do....but give me Release over Black any day.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Not for You, Immortality, Black, three way tie ,in my opinion. :ugeek:
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    I think Black may be their best song.....yet it is not my favorite if that makes any sense.