Options

Is is wrong?

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So my best friend in the world happens to be a female...a very beautiful one both inside and out...and it is and always has been the most special relationship I have ever had in my life...hands down. We have an enormous amount of love and respect for each other, share our deepest and most intimate thoughts and fears with each other, and we spend so many great times together. We've been through all the hard times with each other and stood by the other no matter what. It is a very special thing to me and I've never given much thought to it being anything more than what it is...but I guess naturally it has crossed my mind given the unbelievably loving nature of our friendship.

Thing is...we've talked about it in a roundabout kind of way and we pretty much roundabout agreed that our relationship is too special to risk ruining it by trying to make it more. But, at the same time, our relationship has gotten to the point where we actually do have kind of a couple thing going on in a way....just the little things I guess but its definitely there. Both of us frequently speak of ourselves as "we" to each other and to others as well...that sort of thing.

Her mother, my mother, her friends, my friends and other people who ever spend much time around us together always talk about what a special thing we obviously have. My boss even got mad at me when I told him a while back that we weren't planning on trying to take our relationship to another level. On old friend of mine brought his wife to my house the other night and when my friend left to go home the guy's wife said "You two so obviously love each other...why don't you just go ahead and admit it?" My mom asked a couple of weeks ago if we were a couple now....and I told her no but we do make a damn good team...which we do.

So all that rambling brings me to my question: are we fooling ourselves into thinking its not worth the risk? Is it wrong to have such a wonderful relationship between a man and a woman and not try to turn it into a lifelong partnership? By ignoring what everyone else seems to see in us are we making a terrible mistake?

Like I said....I've never really thought of it as an option, but when so many people see something more it has just made me think...what if we're wrong??
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    "So all that rambling brings me to my question: are we fooling ourselves into thinking its not worth the risk?"

in a word, yes.
    obviously, the thought has crossed both your minds already. it is inevitable imo to try. i can't imagine not doing so. and the whole 'our friendship is too special to risk'.......again imo, is a BS, cop-out pussy call. :mrgreen: if it truly is THAT special, you'd be fools NOT to try and make it a life-long partnership. it's the ideal, what all strive for in their long-term relationships. is it a mistake not to? i'd not go that far, but cmon, sooner or later, it WILL come down to it.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    "So all that rambling brings me to my question: are we fooling ourselves into thinking its not worth the risk?"

in a word, yes.
    obviously, the thought has crossed both your minds already. it is inevitable imo to try. i can't imagine not doing so. and the whole 'our friendship is too special to risk'.......again imo, is a BS, cop-out pussy call. :mrgreen: if it truly is THAT special, you'd be fools NOT to try and make it a life-long partnership. it's the ideal, what all strive for in their long-term relationships. is it a mistake not to? i'd not go that far, but cmon, sooner or later, it WILL come down to it.

This

To me it sounds like you guys are already in a relationship so make official
  • Options
    You make sense D2D and I suppose it could be a pussy cop-out by both of us. I know she really does fear losing me because she has told me on several occasions "don't you ever leave me" or "what would I do without you" and I have said similar things to her as well.
    Her life has often been a whirlwind of problems and I've always been there for her so could it be that she truly would never allow herself to "risk" it? As for my excuse, I don't really know that I have one except I have always been the "never getting married" type of guy. To me, if we were to get together it would almost immediately imply that wedding bells are around the bend given the intense narture of our relationship.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    The very best relationships begin with a deep friendship. This I know to be true. So, how much longer can you deny yourselves? Go for it.
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,067
    "She's just not that into you."

Somebody is in the freind zone.
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • Options
    ^^ Well yeah

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    simple question: do you have romantic feelings for her? answer that & you'll find your answer. (i think...) if the answer is yes & you guys can be upfront & honest without fear, then tell her. if the answer is no, then keep on keepin' on.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    You make sense D2D and I suppose it could be a pussy cop-out by both of us. I know she really does fear losing me because she has told me on several occasions "don't you ever leave me" or "what would I do without you" and I have said similar things to her as well.
    Her life has often been a whirlwind of problems and I've always been there for her so could it be that she truly would never allow herself to "risk" it? As for my excuse, I don't really know that I have one except I have always been the "never getting married" type of guy. To me, if we were to get together it would almost immediately imply that wedding bells are around the bend given the intense narture of our relationship.

firstly, no one 'has' to get married. plenty of people have long-term, for-life relationships, sans marriage.
    secondly, i hate to say it but....your 'special relationship' will only stay so special while the 2 of you are single. once either one of you gets truly involved in a long-term, romantic, committed relationship....the relationship you share now, will never be the same. that's life. so why not take the change that your relationship can be even better? i have many guy friends, i have a few who were and still are extremely special to me, very close friends....but yes, it all changed some once i got married. of course, i never really had any true attraction to these other men, and most of em i'd known since already getting together with my husband/then BF...but none the less. you both are already risking your special relationship. that's how life goes....people change, people grow...so do relationships. and they either grow together or they grow apart, in time, no matter how special. bottomline, the person who shares your bed automatically, almost instinctually, takes precedence over anyone else.

mfc2006 wrote:
    simple question: do you have romantic feelings for her? answer that & you'll find your answer. (i think...) if the answer is yes & you guys can be upfront & honest without fear, then tell her. if the answer is no, then keep on keepin' on.

exactly.
    once the seed of that thought gets planted in your head, there is rarely chance of going back.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    norm wrote:

in a word, yes.

This

To me it sounds like you guys are already in a relationship so make official
    mfc2006 wrote:

u guys cover my thought..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    where's the attraction? You don't speak of a strong sexual attraction-the gotta have each other attraction- the soul mate attraction. This starts a lasting relationship then comes the best friends for life
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,396
    It all sounds lovely, but I agree with Pandora.

Is there any attraction there? Is it mutual? I think that's what it'll come down to now. :geek:
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    time to see the pics of the girl to see if it's worth the risk.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    I think you should just let things progress naturally. Don't deny something more if it's there and don't force anything just because it seems like the next logical step. (The latter is a sure way to ruin things, if you ask me.) I understand how you feel when you say you'd naturally jump straight into a really serious relationship, and possibly a marriage, if you got together. If you're not ready for a serious relationship, I wouldn't force it. At the same time, my experience is that the very best relationships grow from great friendships.

Have you both been single the whole time you've had this great friendship? How long have you been friends? How old are you?
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    is it just me or does the smokin baby just fit your reply :lol: it works
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,214
    81 wrote:
    the man got a point :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    mfc2006 wrote:

I agree with this. It sounds like you have everything a relationship does except for the title, which may or may not be keeping it comfortable. But it sounds like make it official wouldn't even risk throwing a wrench in it. I say do it, sounds like it'll be a smart and happy decision for you both.

Good luck. :D
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    pandora wrote:
    81 wrote:

the baby is smart, he doesn't watch tv.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    81 wrote:
    pandora wrote:
    81 wrote:

the baby is smart, he doesn't watch tv.
    oh but babies just love tv
    i love tv too
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    WOW! I'd be scared to mess with that! You both are in a very intimate relationship and it would suck to have sex break that up. I have a question, during your good friendship, have either of you had love relationships with other people? I wonder how the other felt? Cuz, if it was alright, then I imagine that the love reltionship was lesss than what you two have. Like, if you broke up with someone else, etc, and moved on, I'd would hate to see you two turn into one of those kind of relationships if that part doesn't work out, and one of you "moving on". Cuz, how would the relationship be if one of you wanted it back like it was and wanted to date someone else, yet not lose the other? It would hurt someone bad!
    Touchy situation.
    Save room for dessert!