going to London in April-advice needed(edit: nevermind)

2»

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    dunkman wrote:

trying to get a reaction? if i was I wouldn't post my thoughts about the Tate Modern on a music forum... i'd be more inclined to glue 20 bits of cord to a papermache pelmet and hang it up and shout "oh, look at my art"

oh wait... some clown has already done that!

http://www.tate.org.uk/modern/explore/w ... 9&action=1

T02394_9.jpg

what of a load of cac.
  • Try as many of 'real ales' or 'guest ales' as possible :D
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    Try as many of 'real ales' or 'guest ales' as possible :D

Speaking of which, lots of pubs have deals going, where if you try say 5 british ales from 5 different pubs in the same chain they will give you a free shirt. They say you are only supposed to do 2 drinks per day, but they totally don't enforce it. If you want free, cool looking pub t-shirts, (and drink delicious beer while getting them) check it out.
  • I'm seriously writing down all this info that you guys are giving me, thanks again! I'm going to have our entire trip planned, I hope my sis isn't mad!

regarding the modern museum being discussed, that totally reminds me of when I took my dad to a modern art exhibition in reno. One piece of art was literally a few power cords laying in an empty room. so of course my dad, in a loud voice says "hey, it looks like my garage! hey Darcy, apparently I'm a goddamn artist and i didn't even KNOW it!!" we were asked to leave after that. no joke. :roll:
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I thought the British Museum was just ok. They had some amazing things in there collection but I also found it very dry and not very engaging, (they basically just showed off all the stuff they had).

I love the British Museum. It's the best museum in the world. And it's a great place to escape the crowds in the West End. You can easily spend a whole day in there. Nearby (Bloomsbury) there are some cool old fashioned bookshops that specialize in selling rarities, and occult books e.t.c.
  • ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    Also, make sure you get yourself over to Camden Town on a Saturday or Sunday. It's on the Northern line, two stops past Euston station. It's where all the 'alternative' types hang out - punks, goths, grungers, hippies, e.t.c. I used to go there every weekend for about 3 or 4 years when I was younger. Take a walk around the market, and walk up to the Lock where there's an indoor market. You'll find some cool record shops, cheap clothes shops, 2nd hand books, nice pubs, and really nice food from all over the world. Another place you could easily spend a day. If it's your first time in London then it's a must.
  • HinnHinn Posts: 1,517
    Catch a gig. Something. Anything.

Go have a drink at the Royal George.

Take a walk down Denmark Street and check out all the music shops.

Find 3 other people to do a photo op at the Abbey Road crossing with ya. Make sure one of yers go without shoes.

Head down to Spitalfields/Brick Lane markets on Sunday.

Try to find someone who's actually London born-and-bred 8-)
    115 bucks for half a haircut by a novice? I want my money back!