St. Lucia

Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Ever been?

Talk to me...looking for ideas outside of the resort

Never been there...going later this spring...
I love to turn you on
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I went there back in 2002 I think, stayed at a Sandals resort. We did a land and sea trip one day, took a bus down the island and toured the rain forest and volcanoes and then took a catamaran ride back up the coast. I think there are hikes you can join of the Pitons. Sorry I can't be more help but I was busy enjoying the swim up bars and beaches! Enjoy!
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I was there when I was in the military in 2003. I stayed at Sandals as well. There is not much to do outside of the resort. Dirt roads and people selling fruit and veggies on the side of the road. There are some great sightseeing things to do through the hotel you stay at. I was only there for 2 days so I didn't get to do much except waterski, swim and drink. Have fun when you go though. The beaches are great.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • I went in 2007 for my honeymoon. Probably the best vacation I have ever taken. I stayed at a Sandals as well that was on a golf course. I can't do justice how beautiful the scenery was but it was incredible. I was one of those 7-7-07 couples with the wife and it seems everyone there was from the states. You'll want to do the zipline jungle ride where you zip line over palm trees. Incredible. I did the volcano tour as well and that was cool. I did a land and sea excursion where you went deep sea snorkling and it was fun. We took out kayaks at our hotel resort. When we arrived it was late at night and the lobby was in the front and you can hear the ocean to the left. Couldn't see anything though. The next day went to the lobby, looked past the lobby and saw the hotel inground pools and then the ocean behind it. Very scenic. The hospitality is incredible. It was inclusive so everything was paid for I think except drinks. But there's about 4 people that take care of you when you eat on the resort...assuming you're doing a resort. One takes your order, one brings drinks, one food and one desert. Incredible. We also did horseback riding on a beach! They take you down dirt roads and you horseback ride through fields to a beach and it's simply beautiful. You'll see land crabs everywhere. Very freaky. Picture squirrels around here. But there it's land crabs walking everywhere like cockroaches. Playing some golf in the prettiest setting I've ever done. Just awesome. And then my last day walking the beach with my new wife and an authentic cuban cigar is just tooooo sweeeet. The hotel bar in the pool had stools so you swim to the stools and just drink all day. Awesome. My one pointer is bring pens because when you go through customs, it seemed like there weren't enough pens to fill out paperwork.
  • Kel VarnsenKel Varnsen Posts: 1,952
    I went on a cruise of the Caribbean over chrismas and one of the stops was St. Lucia. It was very nice. We did an excursion on a pirate ship over to Pigeon Island. It was really nice with some great beaches and it also looked like it had some cool old forts and other buildings to explore. One warning though, if there is a guy with a bottle of home made spiced rum, stay away from that shit. I got so hammered that day I hardly remember how I got back to the cruise ship.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_R ... Lucia.html
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    great advice here folks - thanks!!!!

But...

we have to pay for drinks at Sandals???? :o
    I'd better cash in one of my retirement plans and plan ahead!!!
    I love to turn you on
  • Steve, if memory serves, you don't have to pay for drinks at Sandals, but it was a lonnnngg week of drinking so don't remember. I think they're free if you do the inclusive deal. And get something called a BBC. Best drink ever. And expect a lot of "no pressure, no problems." That's their catchphrase over there.
    Steve, if memory serves, you don't have to pay for drinks at Sandals, but it was a lonnnngg week of drinking so don't remember. I think they're free if you do the inclusive deal. And get something called a BBC. Best drink ever. And expect a lot of "no pressure, no problems." That's their catchphrase over there.

Fantastic news! Thanks so much for the tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    8-)
    I love to turn you on
  • embraceembrace Posts: 849
    sounds like you have a place to stay...but there is a lovely hotel that is open to the mountainside- little in room plunge pool- Superman was filmed here...anyways it's a good place to check out if you want a night off the resort- great food and a bar with music. I wonder if they still call the heavy proof rum "Jet fuel" ;)

http://www.ladera.com/
    got a car...got some gas...oh let's get out of here-get out of here fast...
    I hope you get this message but your not home...I will be there in just a minute or so...
    I want to go but I want to go with you.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime. -MT

I've had enough, said enough, felt enough. I'm fine, still in it.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    I went on a cruise in January 2002 and St. Lucia was one of the stops. Unfortunately, my only memory of it is while walking through the town I tripped and fell in the street, injuring my hip. :( The streets were very uneven. I don't know if that's still a problem but if you go for a walk, watch your step!

Someone recommended horseback riding. I went riding on the beach at another island where we stopped and it's one of my best memories of the trip. :thumbup: If that appeals to you at all, I would go for it. Riding on the beach is awesome.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • I also went there on my honeymoon back in 05. There's not much in the city outside of the resorts. If you leave the resort, head to the rainforest or volcanos or one of the small fishing villages for something cool to do.
    I see an underlying theme here of fairways and boat drinks...doesn't sound like anyone had any fun. :lol:
    I love to turn you on