This dream last night...

IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
A little background first: I'm 2 years out of school. Landed what I thought was a good job with a good, young company with lots of growth potential. Turns out, 8 months into the gig, the company goes on a hiring freeze, so I've basically been stuck in entry-level management for the last 24 months, without any sort of upward movement in sight. (I know it's not that long, but that's not what they promised me when I was hired.)It's a really stressful job too, lots of people rely on me to get things done. I oversee all operations, constantly dealing with my own employees, as well as our customers. I basically work 12 hour days everyday, and I'm on-call 24/7. The pay is enough for me to get by, but nowhere near what it should be considering the time and amount if work I put it. So it's been really wearing on me lately and I've just been really stressed to say the least.

So, last night: Fall asleep around 10:30 and I find myself in this crazy vivid dream (crazy just because it felt sooo real). I'm working in a cubicle in some giant office space, none of which is my own in real life. I have all these health issues (like horrible cough, sweating, limping when I walk), none of which is true in real life either. So I'm sitting in this cubicle, really struggling. It's no secret to the people around me either that I'm hurting. Then randomly, I just stand up and limp into this conference room where there's like 10 random people in suits. I just blurt out, "That's it! I'm done!" And just turn around and walk out. Nobody tries to stop me. I walk outside the building, and all of sudden, it was like this massive weight was lifted off my shoulders. I was seriously happy, and the emotions felt so real. I'm not depressed in real life, but certainly not this happy. It was like I was in heaven or something. Then boom, wake-up in a cold sweat, look at the clock and it's only 2:30.

I couldn't fall back asleep. I nearly started crying from the disappoint I had after realizing it wasn't real, and that I still need to go to work in 2 hours. This dream really tweaked me. Rarely do I remember my dreams, so the fact I remember this much and the emotions of the dream were so real, I feel like this is significant. Maybe it's because of my situation, or maybe it's because I've been up for 5 hours and its only 7:30am, but damn! Felt like it was a message from God or something, haha. I just had to tell somebody about this dream, but I dont know anybody else who's awake, so i figured I'd throw it on here.
He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Your dream sounds like you are envisioning your future.

Best career is advice.....is that you usually land the best jobs when you are not looking for them. Patience my friend!

I will say that this recession has really slowed down a lot of careers. They always do. People in upward careers have been stuck doing the same job for the last 2 -3 years. That is a massive build up of experience, and no movement and it is akin to a river being stopped by a damn.

It only takes a few moves and then the damn will burst. I just attended a seminar on this last week. According to the Worforce Analysts, the end of 2010 and all of 2011 there will be an incredible amount of open positions. The Baby Boomers retiring in massive numbers is also a factor.

Good things are coming! And those of us (in the senior Management Positions) will be spending a shitload of time interviewing and building new teams.
  • BigdaBigda Posts: 469
    I know exactly how you are feeling, trying to get out of similar situation myself, ie. trying to process that sweet dream into real life action.. and it is already enough for me to feel good. i am telling you!
    so, dont forget this dream and figure the way of changing what you can change. nothing is finite.

wish you all the best, amigo.
    b.

Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Your dream sounds like you are envisioning your future.

Best career is advice.....is that you usually land the best jobs when you are not looking for them. Patience my friend!

I will say that this recession has really slowed down a lot of careers. They always do. People in upward careers have been stuck doing the same job for the last 2 -3 years. That is a massive build up of experience, and no movement and it is akin to a river being stopped by a damn.

It only takes a few moves and then the damn will burst. I just attended a seminar on this last week. According to the Worforce Analysts, the end of 2010 and all of 2011 there will be an incredible amount of open positions. The Baby Boomers retiring in massive numbers is also a factor.

Good things are coming! And those of us (in the senior Management Positions) will be spending a shitload of time interviewing and building new teams.

I definitely agree with everything you posted. I'm hoping to stick it out, but it's getting harder and harder each day. And without any clear destination, I'm just starting to question if the constant stress, worries and phone calls are really worth it. It's not like my goal in life is to become a CEO of a medical logistics company (kind of work I do now). I'm just doing this for the experience and to start building my savings. I feel like I could be doing that without all the BS that has been coming with the position. I forgot to mention, my boss is exactly like Michael Scott from the office; same title, same name, same haircut, just without all the humor. Imagine Michael Scott not funny, it would suck. Yup.

Also, thanks for the kind words Bigda. Good luck on your journey as well.
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
    you are welcome and thank you. remember my friend: only letting go is not trying.
    these are the words i keep on repeating when the courage to make change is weakening. it works for me. and maybe it will for you.
    you seem to be a smart guy, somehow, without even knowing you, i am sure you will manage. revolution starts in one's mind.

peace,
    b.
    Prague '95 (w/Neil Young), Warsaw '96, Seattle '98, Katowice x2 '00, Berlin '00, Berlin '06, Katowice '07, Copenhagen '07, Belfast '10, Berlin '10, Amsterdam '12, Prague'12, Berlin x2 '12, Vienna '14, Berlin '14..
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i love when people make up shit and then claim it was a dream

:mrgreen:
    even if so, why would you care, Smarty Pants?:)
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    crazy dreams lately- this is big dream time for me now thru the spring- stars must be right
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    i love when people make up shit and then claim it was a dream

:mrgreen:

Wow. If I were to make up a crazy dream, you really think that's the best I could?! Please.

Unfortunately, it was all too real and I still haven't been able to shake it yet today. Believe me, there are many things out there that I wish I could have a crazy vivid dream about :lol: , and work is not one of them.