Options

In light of Radiohead and NIN, will Pearl Jam do the same?

muppetmuppet Posts: 980
edited March 2008 in The Porch
I think everyone knows the In Rainbows event, where Radiohead released their new album online. Nine Inch Nails have just done the same thing, releasing a four disk instrumental album for free of charge (well, there's a couple of payment options) and the Saul Williams album before that (if you haven't heard this new album, or any of Saul Williams' other albums, download them straight away!)

Given Pearl Jam's apparent hatred of record companies (that's the impression I've always had anyway) and the fact that they've utlisied the web already, with the bootlegs, do you think we can expect a similar approach to their new album? On the one hand, I can see it but Pearl Jam has always struck me as an old fashioned band. Not in a bad way, just infulenced a lot by 70s classic rock and the mindset of that era. NIN and Radiohead are more modern, I suppose.

But I'm sure Pearl Jam are aware that the internet does exsist, and I'd love to see them try something a bit radical with their new album.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    thanks for the heads up on the new NIN!

downloading it right now!

i really hope this is available on regular edition vinyl too like "in rainbows" eventually was... as much as id love a copy signed by trent i cant afford $300 right now...

and id love to see PJ do something similar!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Are you having problems downloading? I opted for the $5 option but my download keeps stopping. I'm keeping the "Download Now" window open but it still isn't working.
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i really hope this is available on regular edition vinyl too like "in rainbows" eventually was... as much as id love a copy signed by trent i cant afford $300 right now...

Q: Is Ghosts I-IV available elsewhere?

A: You can also purchase the download from Amazon's MP3 store right now. The deluxe versions are available for pre-order from Artist in Residence (A+R) as well. Check out their other work.

The same 2xCD you can purchase here and a $39 4x vinyl edition (on 130 gram vinyl in a double gatefold package) will be available at retail in North America (April 8), Australia (April 5), the UK (April 8), Japan (April 5), and most European territories (April 8).

Q: Is the musical content of the CD versions any different from the downloads available here?

A: No, the CD versions contain the exact same 36 tracks as the full download.

I could totally imagine PJ doing something like this... I mean, we've had the bootlegs and all, why no album?
    Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your own home.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    Are you having problems downloading? I opted for the $5 option but my download keeps stopping. I'm keeping the "Download Now" window open but it still isn't working.
    i just got through the whole thing and when i tried to unzip the folder it said it was invalid or corrupt..... i emailed them so hopefully they can help soon... im really anxious to hear it tho!!

and thanks for the info on the release date of the vinyl!

• Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    That would be so killer if in the next three months Pearl Jam were like, "here is our new album for free" when nobody was expecting it.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,834
    That would be so killer if in the next three months Pearl Jam were like, "here is our new album for free" when nobody was expecting it.

as cool as that would be, i'm sure they'd be looking to make some dough off the album. i'd be all up for a $5 digital download / $8-10 physical copy type deal like NIN just did.

but yes, an album released this way by the end of 2008 would be sweeeeeet.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    O_G_DO_G_D Toronto Posts: 541
    My reasoning being that the band seems to be into hard copy things that you can hold and cherish i.e. their love of vinyl and the packaging that comes with it. Although it still would not suprise me if they did. For Pearl Jam i like having something i can have and touch.
    1. Toronto, Ontario 09-21-1996 (MAPLE LEAF GARDENS)
    2. Barrie, Ontario 08-22-1998 (MOLSON PARK)
    3. Toronto, Ontario 10-05-2000 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    4. Toronto, Ontario 06-28-2003 (MOLSON AMPHITHEATRE)
    5. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    6. Boston, Massachusetts 09-28-2004 FLEET CENTER (NOW TD GARDEN) VFC TOUR
    7. Hamilton, Ontario 09-13-2005 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    8. Toronto, Ontario 09-19-2005 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    9. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-24-2005 (MILE ONE)
    10. St. Johns, Newfoundland 09-25-2005 (MILE ONE)
    11. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    12. Toronto, Ontario 05-09-2006 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    13. Sydney, Australia 11-07-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    14. Sydney, Australia 11-08-2006 (ACER ARENA)
    15. Melbourne, Australia 11-13-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    16. Melbourne, Australia 11-14-2006 (ROD LAVER ARENA)
    17. Adelaide, Australia 11-21-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    18. Adelaide, Australia 11-22-2006 (ADELAIDE ENTERTAINMENT CENTRE)
    19. Perth, Australia 11-25-2006 (SUBIACO OVAL)
    20. New York, New York 06-24-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    21. New York, New York 06-25-2008 (MADISON SQUARE GARDEN)
    22. Toronto, Ontario 08-21-2009 (MOLSON AMPITHEATRE)
    23. Buffalo, New York 05-10-2010 (HSBC ARENA)
    24. Toronto, Ontario 09-11-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    25. Toronto, Ontario 09-12-2011 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    26. Hamilton, Ontario 09-15-2011 (COPPS COLISEUM)
    27. London, Ontario 07-16-2013 (BUDWEISER GARDENS)
    28. Buffalo, New York 10-12-2013 (FIRST NIAGARA CENTER) FORMERLY HSBC ARENA
    29. Detroit, Michigan 10-16-2014 (JOE LOUIS ARENA)
    30. Ottawa, Ontario 5-8-2016 (CANADIAN TIRE CENTRE)
    31. Toronto, Ontario 5-10-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)
    32. Toronto, Ontario 5-12-2016 (AIR CANADA CENTRE)

• Options
    O_G_D wrote:
    My reasoning being that the band seems to be into hard copy things that you can hold and cherish i.e. their love of vinyl and the packaging that comes with it. Although it still would not suprise me if they did. For Pearl Jam i like having something i can have and touch.
    with both radiohead and NIN theres still that option... in fact its probably pushed moreso because they offer the special limited edition vinyl packs and such... i think PJ (maybe not ed) understand the way the music industry is headed as far as digitizing is concerned... itd definitely be a good marketing move on their part... maybe not the donation route that radiohead took... but more along the lines of this NIN idea... most of the PJ fanbase would probably buy the hard copy anyway, but if we can get a digital version ahead of the store release to hold us over then thats great!

• Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    O_G_D wrote:

Trent is giving people that option - you can either get just a digital download, or you can pre-order several packages of increasing coolness, at different prices. One includes a DVD with multi-track files of all the cuts. The highest level package includes vinyl. So it isn't all or nothing. I still don't know if PJ would do it though. I wish they would. Don't forget that in the 2005, 2006 tour all the recordings of the live shows were download purchase only, so they're not completely averse perhaps.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    Yeah, Pearl Jam (or at least Vedder) have always had that affiliation with vinyl but then again the Basecamp stuff has brought them more up to date.

I mean, they don't need to do anything spectacular or groundbreaking when/if they release the new album. I personally thought 'In Rainbows' was a decent record that was possibly overrated slightly because of the way it was released. As long as the music holds up, I'll take a Pearl Jam album online or offline - but it's still an interesting thing to discuss, I think.
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    Yeah, Pearl Jam (or at least Vedder) have always had that affiliation with vinyl but then again the Basecamp stuff has brought them more up to date.

I mean, they don't need to do anything spectacular or groundbreaking when/if they release the new album. I personally thought 'In Rainbows' was a decent record that was possibly overrated slightly because of the way it was released. As long as the music holds up, I'll take a Pearl Jam album online or offline - but it's still an interesting thing to discuss, I think.
    yah... "in rainbows"'s strongest point is its consistency id say... none of the tracks really stand out as phenomenal... the vocals on "nude" are gorgeous... "house of cards" is a good track... theyre all good... just not great compared to "ok computer" which is probably in my top 5 albums of all-time...

id rather PJ focus on the music as im sure they will rather than some gimmicky distribution technique that overshadows the tunes... but we'll just have to wait and see

• Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I highly doubt Clive would allow that, unless J- records has a piece of the touring.
  • Options
    vedhead011vedhead011 Posts: 300
    Wasn't a full album, but didn't Pearl Jam already offer a free download of the Worldwide Suicide Single?
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • Options
    vedhead011 wrote:
    Wasn't a full album, but didn't Pearl Jam already offer a free download of the Worldwide Suicide Single?
    yup! definitely a step in the right direction

• Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    vedhead011 wrote:
    and you got the bside Unemployable.
  • Options
    nuzzer1nuzzer1 New Jersey Posts: 1,431
    Well, I speak partially (because I work at the site I'll get to) but the industry could be taking a turn towards free content anyways, and radiohead has certainly made a large splash in that direction. At spiralfrog.com we offer over a million tracks - all free to the user with no strings attached, fees etc - and the ad generated revenue is then split between label, licensing and artist (as well as site). so they are essentially getting paid to give their music away for free. if you know the stats already, you can understand why ed is so pissed and inclined to up ticket prices etc. over 1.6 BILLION track are downloaded illegally PER MONTH. to combat that, I think Itunes has sold around that over the course of 5 years or so. computer users, kids especially, expect to get music for free now. its ridiculous but its what happened as a result of pirating which i am sure we are all guilty of. anyway, i don't think spiralfrog has discussed a release with pj but i've certainly brought up the idea after stone was discussing the possibility after radiohead released in rainbows initially. it would a great venture for them, and they are forward thinking enough to make it happen. i personally don't think anything beats having the actual physical copy in your hands - artwork and all - but that's just me.
  • Options
    im pissed... ive been sitting around here since noon waiting for a response from the NIN technical support team... my download didnt work... i understand they have alot of traffic today but honestly it shouldnt take 5 hours... im dying to just sit and listen to this album... i paid my $5 dammit!

• Options
    TallGuyCMTallGuyCM Posts: 328
    Yeah I had the same problem with the NIN download...I just went to amazon instead, it was super easy! It cost another $5, but the amazon mp3 downloader imported the songs into my iTunes at the same time they were downloading, very impressed with their services.
  • Options
    TallGuyCM wrote:
    Yeah I had the same problem with the NIN download...I just went to amazon instead, it was super easy! It cost another $5, but the amazon mp3 downloader imported the songs into my iTunes at the same time they were downloading, very impressed with their services.
    im not about to spend another $5! i still have yet to hear back from them! its total bullshit! not very professional at all!