Interesting Discovery on my Temple of the Dog vinyl

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
edited January 2010 in The Porch
I pulled it out to play it today, and noticed for I think the first time that it is stamped "Promotional Copy -- Not For Sale."

Out of curiosity, I checked the catalog number inscribed on the LP and it is 75021 5350. I decided to reference it over at pjcollectors.com and it lists this catalogue number for the CD only -- all versions of the vinyl are listed as 395-350.

So, either I don't know what a catalogue number is, or pjcollectors.com has it wrong, or I have something unique on my hands.

Can someone check their own copy of the record and tell me what number is inscribed around the inner circle on the vinyl?
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SH17171SH17171 Posts: 425
    My Cat No. is the same as yours but mine is not a promo copy.
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,569
    SH17171 wrote:
    My Cat No. is the same as yours but mine is not a promo copy.

Thank you. Must just be a mistake on the website then. :D

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • I pulled it out to play it today, and noticed for I think the first time that it is stamped "Promotional Copy -- Not For Sale."

Out of curiosity, I checked the catalog number inscribed on the LP and it is 75021 5350. I decided to reference it over at pjcollectors.com and it lists this catalogue number for the CD only -- all versions of the vinyl are listed as 395-350.

So, either I don't know what a catalogue number is, or pjcollectors.com has it wrong, or I have something unique on my hands.

Can someone check their own copy of the record and tell me what number is inscribed around the inner circle on the vinyl?

Catalog number is the number on the sleeve/spine/record label.

The numbers and/or letters inscribed in the deadwax are called matrix numbers.
  • I pulled it out to play it today, and noticed for I think the first time that it is stamped "Promotional Copy -- Not For Sale."

It's no mistake on the PJCollectors site. You have the US pressing of the record that he the # 75021 5350. The European (Holland) pressing has the #395 350.

But you have still a very nice promo copy. So it would be cool to add it to PJCollectors. ;)
    One hand will wash the other!
    I pulled it out to play it today, and noticed for I think the first time that it is stamped "Promotional Copy -- Not For Sale."

Catalog number is the number on the sleeve/spine/record label.

The numbers and/or letters inscribed in the deadwax are called matrix numbers.

Ah, thank you. I never knew this. Still, the numbers on the deadwax (75021 5350) are exactly the same as what is printed on the sleeve, so in this case it wouldn't make a difference.

It's no mistake on the PJCollectors site. You have the US pressing of the record that he the # 75021 5350. The European (Holland) pressing has the #395 350.

But you have still a very nice promo copy. So it would be cool to add it to PJCollectors. ;)

Thank you!

Strangely, however, I don't even see a US pressing on pjcollectors.com -- just ones from Brazil, Holland, and the UK. Am I missing something?

http://www.pjcollectors.com/category_related.asp?id=3

Thank you!

Strangely, however, I don't even see a US pressing on pjcollectors.com -- just ones from Brazil, Holland, and the UK. Am I missing something?

We still need to add the US release of this LP. So anybody who has great scans or pics of the US release can send me a PM. I would love to add both - regular and promo versions. Thanks!

Thank you!

We still need to add the US release of this LP. So anybody who has great scans or pics of the US release can send me a PM. I would love to add both - regular and promo versions. Thanks!

Didn't know you were running that site. I use it all the time, so thank you. I will take some pics of the promo vinyl soon and send them to you asap. 8-)

• u are very lucky my friend :D
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Didn't know you were running that site. I use it all the time, so thank you. I will take some pics of the promo vinyl soon and send them to you asap. 8-)
    We are a small group of people who run the site and keep it updated. I'm thankful for taking some pics of your promo vinyl.