Options

CDC leader to run Merck vaccine division

flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
edited January 2010 in A Moving Train
What a cozy little relationship. I'm sure she didnt push any unnecessary vaccinations during her tenure...

http://pharmtech.findpharma.com/pharmte ... ryId=35097

Last week, Merck & Co. (Whitehouse Station, NJ) appointed Julie Gerberding president of Merck Vaccines. Gerberding, who was director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from 2002 to 2009, will assume her new position on January 25, 2010.

At Merck, Gerberding will be responsible for commercializing the company’s current portfolio of vaccines. She also will plan the introduction of vaccines from the company’s pipeline and assist in Merck’s efforts to broaden access to its vaccines in the developing world. In addition, Gerberding will foster collaboration between the leaders of Merck Manufacturing Division and Merck Research Laboratories to maintain links between research, late-stage development, and manufacturing.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    in theory i shouldn't be surprised....
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    I guess the question is - was she pushing a lot of vaccines and this job is her reward? or did they hire her because she knows the ins and outs of the CDC and Merck thinks her knowledge can help them in the future?

If it's the second, then it's a smart hire for Merck, if it's the first, then the CDC is shadier than I thought.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    when did the number of vaccines we give children dramatically increase? i forgot if it was before 2002 or not
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Remember that gov't official who told everyone to stock up on duct tape and plastic sheeting in the post-9/11 panic? He was rewarded with a cushy post at Home Depot, America's leading seller of duct tape!
    "May you live in interesting times."