has anyone been to cuba

guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
me me dad and brother went on holiday in Varadero Cuba now i realise its a long shot but we had a coffee drink in a warm glass, sugar round the top,and the coffee and three liqueurs now this apart from getting you smashed was bloody lovely but i can not remember how it was made please can anyone help thank you :D:D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Spanish Coffee?? I just got back from Varadero myself on the 10th... loved it :)

Can't tell you how its made, but the name may help...and yes, those are good!
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    Spanish Coffee?? I just got back from Varadero myself on the 10th... loved it :)

Can't tell you how its made, but the name may help...and yes, those are good!
    thank you so much my wife thinks im mad but i really really need to find out how to make this drink ha ha :D im not the only one out there GREAT i / we find out can you remember the hotel by any chance i was there years ago but still hooked :lol::lol:8-) :P
  • I stayed at the Barcelo Marina, but I am sure that this drink is fairly popular throughout Cuba... the best I could come up with was this:

1/2 ounce tia maria coffee liqueur
    1/2 ounce bacardi rum
    6 ounces hot coffee
    whipped cream

Directions
    1Pour Tia Maria and rum into a coffee mug. Fill with hot coffee.
    2Top with whipped cream and a cherry.
    ah i thought there were 3 liquors but may be i was just a bit tipsy he he we stayed at beaches or breaches ill have to look it up did you use the little bug taxis :lol::lol:
  • guypjfreak wrote:
    ah i thought there were 3 liquors but may be i was just a bit tipsy he he we stayed at beaches or breaches ill have to look it up did you use the little bug taxis :lol::lol:

Those little red things? No, we took a normal taxi into town a few nights and were terrified, they drive crazy down there...there's no way we were getting in one of those little things, we noticed the drivers wear helmets, but there's none for the passengers. Maybe next time we will feel a little more adventurous, although I highly doubt it, lol
    do it its hilarious just be careful not to tip to much ours wouldn't leave us alone waiting out side hotel and every thing. that was until we realised me and me bruv were giving her half a weeks pay a go :lol::lol: us brits ah ;)
    i think it was the beaches hotel ring any bells ? :)
  • guypjfreak wrote:
    do it its hilarious just be careful not to tip to much ours wouldn't leave us alone waiting out side hotel and every thing. that was until we realised me and me bruv were giving her half a weeks pay a go :lol::lol: us brits ah ;)

Beaches Hotel? Doesn't ring a bell at all, and I've looked into quite a few down there.... My hotel was right at the tip of the peninsula, next time I want closer to the actual "city" of Veradero, that's where we ended up most nights anyways

Maybe next time I will try out one of those things... depends on how brave I am, or how many mojitos's I consume :)
  • I stayed at the Barcelo Marina, but I am sure that this drink is fairly popular throughout Cuba... the best I could come up with was this:

1/2 ounce bacardi rum
    6 ounces hot coffee
    whipped cream

Directions
    1Pour Tia Maria and rum into a coffee mug. Fill with hot coffee.
    2Top with whipped cream and a cherry.
    That sounds outstanding!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
    guypjfreak wrote:

Beaches Hotel? Doesn't ring a bell at all, and I've looked into quite a few down there.... My hotel was right at the tip of the peninsula, next time I want closer to the actual "city" of Veradero, that's where we ended up most nights anyways

Maybe next time I will try out one of those things... depends on how brave I am, or how many mojitos's I consume :)
    right this is crazy i know we had a great time but myself my bruv and me dad just cant remember the bloody hotels name and i cant find the photos it was right on the beach with a golf course on the other side of road i will find out . :oops:
    as for the drink ive tried it and is very very close i think its still missing something
    glass turned up side down wetted then just the rim coated in sugar
    1/2 ounce bacardi rum
    6 ounces hot coffee
    whipped cream [ i think]
    and another liqueur

saying all that this ones going down a treat :P :P and i have to agree it seemed a bit sort of touristy did you go to the flee market some of the wood carvings were great :)
    aahhh found it breezes Varadero i was beginning think they'd knocked it down :roll: :lol::lol::lol:
  • guypjfreak wrote:
    aahhh found it breezes Varadero i was beginning think they'd knocked it down :roll: :lol::lol::lol:

That hotel names rings a bell. As far as the drink goes I think you are only going to get the "real thing" in Cuba. Im sure their recipes are a little different, you're just going to have to go again. Also, there's no way they only use 1/2 an ounce of rum, lol....I'll pay more attention next time I go. Im planning on going again later in the year!

We went to the markets, there was a lot of great stuff there. I just have to remember not to overpack next time so I actually have room to bring some art home with me :roll:
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    you know, i wouldn't mind going.

i have smoked cuban cigars in canada..that's gotta count for something. :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • 81 wrote:

Haha, I'm sure it does count for something, just not quite sure what :)

The second you walk into the airport in Varadero you smell cigars, and it pretty much remains the same the whole time your there!
    81 wrote:

yea the thing is you get offered cigars everywhere you go but i think it actually against the law to take the real mc'coy out,there's loads of fakes!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,991
    HELLO, CUBA!
  • guypjfreak wrote:
    81 wrote:

yea the thing is you get offered cigars everywhere you go but i think it actually against the law to take the real mc'coy out,there's loads of fakes!

I heard that you get bombarded with people selling them, we didnt get approached once. We were warned about fake ones though. I think you can take 20 home legally, they have to have "stamps" though so its known that they were bought legally.
  • last night in my dreams...

seriously.

:shock:

first time I've ever had that dream. for some reason I was in the US military (I'm not and never was) and we were conquering the Cubanos. Then I saved my dog from being killed in battle.

Examine that one, Freud! :?
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
    guypjfreak wrote:
    81 wrote:

I heard that you get bombarded with people selling them, we didnt get approached once. We were warned about fake ones though. I think you can take 20 home legally, they have to have "stamps" though so its known that they were bought legally.
    i brought 10 back and me and mates all had one at Glastonbury. been looking at going back but costs lots from here .im hoping it wasn't a once in a life time cos i think my wife would love it .
    going to try mixing the drink again tomo put to much coffee in it last time :shock: going to make it a milky coffee this time :P
  • I didnt buy any while I was down there, which disappointed a few people when I came home. Next time.

Finances ruin all the fun stuff eh....The only reason I can afford to go again this year is because my friend won our trip on the radio, so our only cost was spending money. Cant complain about that :)

Good luck on getting the drink right.... :)
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I've sailed 2 miles off the coast of CUBA, love to travel there one day.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

peace to old son will let you know how i get on with the drink :lol::lol: when you going you lucky lady :lol:
  • guypjfreak wrote:
    peace to old son will let you know how i get on with the drink :lol::lol: when you going you lucky lady :lol:

No definite plans yet, thinking October/November.... It was so hard coming from the sun, beach and relaxation to our cold Canadian winter, I would go back right now if I could, but I dont think my boss would be thrilled about that :)
    drink went well still needs a little tweaking though :) my head hurts :? :? :? :lol:
    drink went well still needs a little tweaking though :) my head hurts :? :? :? :lol: