How would you describe Eddies voice?

idreaminredidreaminred Posts: 314
edited January 2010 in The Porch
A friend of mine described her favorite bands lead singers voice as 'liquid sex over ice' and it got me thinking about EV's voice (which is so easily identifiable)....how would you describe it?

The first thing that popped into my head was raw nerve, but I don't think that is quite right....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fueled by American Spirits and red wine
    'I'm like an opening band for the sun'
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    "liquid sex over ice"... if that's anything like a cold shower, I don't think it's a good thing.

Ed's voice: Charlton Heston with his shoes on fire.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    A whisper through a megaphone...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • melting butter...
  • tell your friend you don't need a metaphor or catch phrase to describe Ed's voice!!

Just tell them he isn't a studio musician and he doesn't lip sync...i think that speaks for itself!! :mrgreen:
  • tell your friend you don't need a metaphor or catch phrase to describe Ed's voice!!

Just tell them he isn't a studio musician and he doesn't lip sync...i think that speaks for itself!! :mrgreen:
    smiley-taunt013.gif
  • badbrainsbadbrains Posts: 10,255
    How about raw.....or even medium-rare?????
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    its a sound
    like the feel of the clouds parting after many rain filled days- rejoice
    with the rays of the sunshine beaming on your face- surrounding warmth eases
    as you look up into the again blue sky-
    the feeling of a renewed soul- solid hope - deep beauty unequaled, unsurpassed by anything else here on earth
    its the sound of heaven itself
  • pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 472
    edited January 2010
    Perhaps a better question would be "How would you describe Eddie's 'voices'?" His range in vocals (and I don't just mean octaves) are the reason Pearl Jam is home to such a wide range of music. Is there any other singer out there who can perform a Dead Kennedys' song in the same night as a Tom Wait's cover, both with an equal amount of conviction? Yet, no matter how laid back or aggressive (or melodious, or gravel-like, etc.) Ed may sound, his delivery is completely distinctive, not imitative of others.

So I think I'll cop-out and let those smarter than myself answer your question. Neil Finn describes Eddie as a "crooner"; a quality apparent in his rendition of Neil's 'Stuff and Nonsense'. Stone Gossard points out the "natural fuzz-box" at Vedder's disposal (gotta love 'Lukin'). Michael Stipe captured it best when he referred to Eddie as a "raw diamond". It might sound a bit corny, but visually can be quite striking. True, diamonds are a gemstone and a shiny one at that. In its raw form, however, it's still covered in muck and the edges can be jagged enough to cut you. Should I mention it's the hardest natural mineral around? Why not. I do believe the duality in the 'raw diamond' metaphor describes his voice fairly well.
    Post edited by pleatherman on
  • I'll go with RAW and ROUGH
  • MASMAS Posts: 630
    Ed's the Golden Baritone
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Skittles....

only because i'm eating them right now.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Wine Inspired!!! lol... :P
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    voice like 'liquid sex over ice' ! ! who is it? i want to hear :mrgreen: ♥!!

ed is.... :idea: red or glay (occasionally colal pink) clouds

:P
  • yataheyatahe Posts: 168
    ...like an ANGEL/DEVIL... :mrgreen:
    *KRISTAL*XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#!/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1434776887
    kristal_007@msn.com
  • MAS wrote:
    Ed's the Golden Baritone

perfectly said. stole it right off my keyboard. haha
    "one man stands the edge of the ocean
    a beacon on dry land