Piano in Off He Goes.

thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
edited January 2010 in The Porch
If you listen to Off He Goes after the final verse on No Code, you will hear a piano coinciding with the guitar rhythm. I am not sure if you can hear if before then, but that is really the only part I hear it in. I love it and it adds a nice touch to the mellow, acoustic rendition of the song.

I've also been listening to the many live versions of the song, including the Benaroya Hall version, which is spot on. It seems Pearl Jam has transformed it into a full on rock song, which I think would also do really well on its on merits. Unfortunately, I don't ever hear Boom's organ or any other sort of piano in any of the versions Ive heard. The only time Ive heard it is in the Bridge School version in 96, and then it was very subtle. Is this one of Boom's opt out songs? Would anyone know why they have abandoned the piano in this great song?
Member Number: 437xxx

Pearl Jam:
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Sep 21, 2009
Pacific Coliseum - Vancouver, BC - Sep 25, 2011
Key Arena - Seattle, WA - Dec 6, 2013

Eddie Vedder Solo:
Benaroya Hall - Seattle, WA - Jul 15, 2011
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    The piano part in the studio version is most likely Brendan O'Brien.

Brendan O'Brien also played that Bridge Benefit show with PJ if im not mistaken (?)
    Unfortunately, I don't ever hear Boom's organ

I think boom touches on enough songs, his involvement is starting to get on my nerves and my boot purchasing has steadily been declining as he gets more and more into songs that absolutely dont ever ever ever need his organ. But you may have a point, I think his organ/piano will fit much better on off he goes than all over the outro of porch.

Off he goes is truley a great song!! My favourite version is the one on Live on 2 legs.
    I will swallow poison
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Niko80 wrote:
    The piano part in the studio version is most likely Brendan O'Brien.

Brendan O'Brien also played that Bridge Benefit show with PJ if im not mistaken (?)
    Unfortunately, I don't ever hear Boom's organ

I think boom touches on enough songs, his involvement is starting to get on my nerves and my boot purchasing has steadily been declining as he gets more and more into songs that absolutely dont ever ever ever need his organ. But you may have a point, I think his organ/piano will fit much better on off he goes than all over the outro of porch.

Off he goes is truley a great song!! My favourite version is the one on Live on 2 legs.
    I agree, I think Boom's organs completely butchered the Seattle version of Porch this past year.

I don't hate Boom in all songs, I think Off He Goes would seem to be a fit more than many of the other songs he is in.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • thefin190thefin190 Posts: 918
    Bump Bumpity Bump Bump.

Pearl Jam:

Eddie Vedder Solo:
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    thefin190 wrote:

I don't hate Boom in all songs, I think Off He Goes would seem to be a fit more than many of the other songs he is in.

Neither do I . . but he has butchered several live versions over the years . . . In My Tree for one during the '03 tour . . . I don't like his "organ solo" near the end, in fact, I'm not a huge fan of any "organ solos" . . . as long as he keeps to the background and provides a bit of harmonizing and added effect to CERTAIN songs, I don't mind his input....
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18