home brewing some real ale

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
anyone ever done this before? The instructions on the box were a bit vague but with help from the internet I've done the first stage of the process today..

4-6 weeks time I shall hopefully have 40 pints of Foosty Nun ready to go! :D

have you guys had success / failure doing this? any tips or things to watch out for?
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Haven't tried Home Brew, but I really want to.

There is a local Home Brew shop that sells all the equipment and everything else you need. They have all kinds of hops, grain, barley, yeast, etc. that you can ever want.

I can't wait to try out different kinds and tinker around a bit until I find that perfect brew. :D

I'm gonna have the next Sam Adams... :D
  • dunkman, are you going to send some out to your friends on the board? Scottish home brew? Yes please!
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I did it twice with mixed results.

the first time it was drinkable.

The second time i tried to do a pumpkin spice ale...... epic fail

It can be fun it is time consuming or at least for me it was.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i'm thinking about it. read a homebrew magazine yesterday and checked some other stuff out on the net

doesn't look to difficult. i saw one set up that uses a turkey fryer to boil the water. that'd be perfect.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    dunkman, are you going to send some out to your friends on the board? Scottish home brew? Yes please!

that would involve me spending my money on posting things out to people... and that amigo, is against all forms of Scottish law. :thumbup:

I need to check it tonight and see if its got a nice crusty head... the home brew i mean. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    dunkman wrote:
    anyone ever done this before? The instructions on the box were a bit vague but with help from the internet I've done the first stage of the process today..

have you guys had success / failure doing this? any tips or things to watch out for?

As long your 'Shouting'...lol :P
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    If it ain't Scottish, it's CRAP!
    I love to turn you on
  • I recently got into this before the holidays. I went through williamsbrewing.com. Good place to order from if you are on the west coast for shipping reasons. It costs too much to ship to the East Coast. Great site to order kits and learn it the right way before I start trying to create my own recipes. It requires a ton of patience, but it can be very rewarding and fun. My favorite part is boiling the wort. :) My cousin in Reno has been doing it for a few years and told me about the patience part.

I did a holiday ale before Christmas that turned out quite well. I had to let it sit in bottles for a few weeks before I drank it and I didnt realize this at the time. I tried to drink a bunch of them and didnt like them, once again, this is where the patience comes in. :)

Good luck everyone!
  • Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    dunkman wrote:

I have a freind who makes his own beer all the time. He makes various flavors. The best was one with honey.
    Save room for dessert!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Been wanting to do this for a while. There is a local brewing shop here in town and I've considered going to get the starter kit. Sanitization is very important, and without a dishwasher...it's going to be a lot more difficult. :roll:

fuckin' apartment...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • know1know1 Posts: 6,794
    My brother does it. It took several batches for him to get it tasting pretty good. The secret is apparently all in the hops.

His first batch wasn't bad, but it tasted like 7-Up or Sprite.

He's gotten a lot better since then.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • I've made 5 batches - not real ale - bottle conditioned, but close enough. They were all pretty good. The best was a robust porter. I also made a Scotch Ale - called it Braveheart Ale. ;)

Got started at a great shop in Havertown (near Phila.) called Brew Your Own Beer. Highly recommended if you live around here! Good luck!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16