Buying Ten (back in the day).....

2»

Comments

• I think I bought mine at Caldor, too! I'm trying to remember if that was the cheesy K Mart equivalent in the Lincoln Mall, Rhode Island, 1992. I was 18. It was about the fourth CD I had ever purchased, since CDs were newfangled technology back then! All my 1992 CDs came with a lovely paperboard longbox. Remember those?!?
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    1. Eugene, OR
    2. 25 yo
    3. The Record Garden
    4. Saw the 'Alive' video and heard it was from the former members of MLB(I already loved Apple).
    #FHP
  • I was 19 when PJ came onto the scene...my brother's girlfirend worked for a radio station in San Francisco and she sent me a cassette of a gig from PJ's first European tour...I subsequently received comp tickets to see them at First Avenue in Minneapolis...I picked up the TEN disc at the show after they played...they spray painted a stickman on the backstage/loading door on the side of the club at some point...idiots at First Avenue have since painted over it! I loved walking past that club and seeing the stickman, courtesy of Ed from their first Minneapolis gig....I cannot see myself ever feeling like that again (in regards to music) but I am so grateful to have been witness to it...fucking sweeeeet time to be alive....
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Mr RockoMr Rocko Posts: 647
    1) Chiapas, México
    2) 19
    3) MixUp
    4) Black
    México 24/11/2011
  • titchinellotitchinello Posts: 3,139
    1) ordered it import from usa, because it wasn't released in uk yet
    2) 20
    3) don't know
    4) i bought primarily because i was following on jeff and stones career after mlb, and i'd seen the video for alive so i knew it would be good,
    Glasgow cathouse-1992-2-23, San diego sports arena-1995-11-06 & 07, Glasgow secc-2000-06-03, Tampa st petes times forum-2003-04-13, London O2 arena-2009-08-18, Belfast odyssey arena-2010-06-23.Leeds 2014 - 07-08
  • 1) Sheffield (my first time in UK!)
    2) 14 years old
    3) a big store I don't remember the name :|
    4) even flow & alive
    I don't question our existence
    I just question our modern needs

** http://backpacksoul.wordpress.com **
  • I can't remember that far back. But it was a cassette and it was about 1992 (I was 10). I got it because my friend's older brother had it and we thought it was like the coolest thing ever. A 10 year old listening to Jeremy, Alive, Even Flow, and Why Go for the first time opened my heart and mind to things I never thought were possible at the time.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • 1) Sheffield (my first time in UK!)
    2) 14 years old
    3) a big store I don't remember the name :|
    4) even flow & alive

hang on, your first visit to the uk was to Sheffield?!?!? Erm, why? As a resident I have a right to know! ;)
    ~~ 27 years of nothin' but failures and promises that i couldn't keep ~~
  • bunnybunny Posts: 270
    1 . Tokyo,Japan
    2 . 15 years old
    3 . HMV (?)
    4 . Jeremy!
  • I bought it at a Farmer's Market in Hometown, PA. 8-)
  • Gremmie03Gremmie03 Posts: 504
    my brother (came home for xmas break. Came back with all sorts of new music (Nirvana, Candlebox, Big head Todd, Blues Travler,Green River, MLB,TOD, AIC) I was still listening to Motley Crue,NWA, bon jovi, poison and 2 live crew. what a change. Wasn't really into concerts then, they were here April 92 then for lolla in August. I had flight to catch, as i was leaving for college. fuck)
    Demented and sad, but social
    Wrigley Earthcam/Hartford 2013
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I think I was 18
    Flip Side Records(Palatine, IL) on Cassette
    heard evenflow and was blown away by the coolness of the sound(after first listen Deep and Once were my favorites as I was a total metal head...but Release had some power over me I just loved.. To be honest Jeremy, & Alive were maybe my least favorite tracks. I do recall loving Black and Garden first time as well. I did not become a FREAK until I saw them Live in 94...then it was all PJ all the time for almost 3 straight years
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,828
    1. West Chester
    2. 17 or 18
    3. i have no idea what store it was, probably in the mall (maybe Rainbow Records or Sam Goody?)
    4. Jeremy (seeing the video on MTV really got me into them, but heard Alive and Evenflow first)
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • nevmilesnevmiles Posts: 1,363
    I didn't get Ten until University in 1998 . . . .

Vitalogy was the first PJ album I bought . . . . I then got No Code & Yield when they came out and it wasn't until after the Barrie show in '98 that I was prompted to finally buy Ten and Vs. Got them both used while in University in the fall of '98 (I was 20) from a table in the University Centre that was selling used CD's.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Montreal 10/04/00
    Toronto 10/05/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchener 09/11/05
    Ottawa 09/16/05
    Toronto 08/21/09
    Toronto 09/11/11
    Ottawa 09/14/11
    Buffalo 10/12/13
    Ottawa 05/08/16
    Chicago 08/20/18
    Ottawa 09/03/22
    Nashville 09/16/22
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    1.)Willimantic, CT
    2.)20 yrs. old
    3.)Strawberries
    4.)Alive
    I love to turn you on
  • MSnider44 wrote:
    Where were you, how old were you, when was it, what store did you buy it from, what single or song made you go get it?

1) Winnipeg, MB
    2) 17 years old
    3) Musiplex
    4) Even Flow
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • and as much as I love downloading, I truly miss the days when I had to go to a record store, buy the tape/cd, and wait till I got home to listen to it with a friend (or, if I went alone, ripping it open and throwing it into my Walkman for the bus ride home). Never hearing anything but the singles.

Those were the days.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,436
    23 years old
    not sure of the store but bought it at the same time as Nevermind (at that time equally loved Nevermind and Ten, until Vs. came out and blew Nirvana away)
    not one particular song, loved Jeremy video, Alive and Evenflow all over the radio as well.
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    1. Glendale, CA.
    2. 35
    3. MusicPlus
    4. Used a gift certificate from Christmas to get 'Nevermind'. There was a balance on the certificate, so I wanted to pick up something else. The store clerk recommended 'Ten', saying, 'If you like Nirvana, you'll probably like these guys'. Tossed in the balance and walked out with the two CDs.
    'Ten' got little or no play because my CD player was spinning 'Nevermind' and Nirvana on an endless loop for a couple of years. I thought Pearl Jam was more like Bon Jovi.
    It wasn't til 1993, when I first saw them live (on a free ticket) that things changed.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
  • Long Island, NY
    11 or 12
    I forget the name of the store, but it was in the Smithhaven mall in Smithtown, NY
    Alive
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • sagapo1sagapo1 Posts: 186
    Cleveland, Ohio
    22 years old
    Took it from my sister (I was a bigger fan)
    Even Flow
    "Cynics are simply disappointed idealists" - George Carlin
    Everybody winds up kissing the wrong person goodnight. - Andy Warhol

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,056
    14 years old
    Sarasota Florida - store boogie woogie - I always go there when I'm in florida
    go (vs hit me like a train)
  • Connecticut
    21 (1992)
    Can't remember where I bought it - either Hamden or New Haven
    Black, but I loved them all.
  • and as much as I love downloading, I truly miss the days when I had to go to a record store, buy the tape/cd, and wait till I got home to listen to it with a friend (or, if I went alone, ripping it open and throwing it into my Walkman for the bus ride home). Never hearing anything but the singles.

Those were the days.

You do realize that you dont have to download the music? They still sell it at stores as well.
  • KC2917KC2917 Posts: 872
    This is a fun thread!

1. Stockton, CA
    2. 12 (1992)
    3. Tower Records
    4. I'd never heard of PJ, but my "cool" older neighbor told me I would like it. Turns out, he was right. I bought my first two CD's that day; Ten and Core (STP). Ten didn't leave my CD player for about two months.
  • - Ellsworth, Kansas (my home town, population 2,500)
    - 14 years old (1992)
    - Bought the cassette from "The House of Sight and Sound" in Salina, KS (The place still exits - http://www.houseofsightandsound.com/)
    - I bought it because my best friend brought his copy over to my house for a listen a week or so before. I loved everything about it.

Side note: that same kid that introduced me to Pearl Jam traveled to Chicago this past April and we went to our first ever PJ show together on 8/23/2009.
    ~ Chicago 5/16/06 ~ Chicago 8/23/09 ~ Chicago 8/24/09 ~
    ~ Kansas City 5/3/10 ~ Alpine Valley 9/3/11 ~ Alpine Valley 9/4/11 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 7/19/13 ~ Oklahoma City 11/16/13 ~ St. Louis 10/3/14 ~
    ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/16 ~ Wrigley Field 8/18/18 ~ Wrigley Field 8/20/18 ~
    ~ Fenway Park 9/4/18 ~ Denver 9/22/22
  • pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    Where were you, how old were you, when was it, what store did you buy it from, what single or song made you go get it?

1. My parents' house, Bucks Co., PA
    2. 12
    3. XMAS 1992
    4. The Wall (either Oxford Valley or Neshaminy Mall) - It was a chirstmas gift, but I know because it had/has the lifetime guarantee sticker.
    5. Probably Alive, but Even Flow and Jeremy already were in heavy rotation at that point too and the Jeremy video was the best I'd seen in my life.

Those were the days.

You do realize that you dont have to download the music? They still sell it at stores as well.

obviously. I still buy all my music on a physical copy unless it's not available as such. I meant (but didn't specify-my bad) the AGE of downloading. Not just d/l'ing itself, but myspace, legal full album streaming, all that jazz. It's actually pretty difficult to avoid hearing something before it's released. That's all I meant.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014