I don't get Twitter!

youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Seriously! Since when does anyone give a shit what someone else had for breakfast? Remember back when people actually talked face to face? If you ever started talking about how much you're dog shit this morning, the conversation would be over. Now, it is a world wide event. Sorry if I seem to be behind in the times, but this doesn't make sense to me. Keeping the world up to date on you're pathetic, insignificant life seems to be a waste. And the people who follow celebs' lives need to get a life. No one give a fuck how many times Ashton Kutcher took a shit today. Get a hobby.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    Twitter is awful for most things but great for things like news where reporters/people can get the word out quickly. I have found twitter very useful for things like baseball trade rumors, iran protest updates, haiti updates, etc..
  • ZiggyStarZiggyStar Posts: 14,328
    I've never even seen it.....I still don't fully understand what it is tbh. Sounds like crap though.
    ★ 1995 - Brisbane ★ 1998 - Brisbane ★ 2003 - Brisbane ★ 2006 - Brisbane ★
    ★ 2009 - Sydney, Brisbane, Auckland, Christchurch ★
    ★ 2011 - EV Newcastle, Melbourne 1, Melbourne 2 ★
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Twitter is awful for most things but great for things like news where reporters/people can get the word out quickly. I have found twitter very useful for things like baseball trade rumors, iran protest updates, haiti updates, etc..

I never even went on the website so I didn't think the news was involved.I just thought they reported on the radio and TV like usual. Never thought about sports though. I guess this is where all the leaked/breaking news comes from nowadays in sports. The agents and athletes themselves.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • it seems completely useless unless you're someone famous.
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    ZiggyStar wrote:
    I've never even seen it.....I still don't fully understand what it is tbh. Sounds like crap though.

You know it's funny because my wife is all about the twitter and yet she thinks I'm nuts for posting and playing a part in this forum for all these fucking crazy years....guess it's all relative..
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Champ wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

You know it's funny because my wife is all about the twitter and yet she thinks I'm nuts for posting and playing a part in this forum for all these fucking crazy years....guess it's all relative..

champ, i'm sure your wife is lovely and all but that's ridiculous!!! :shock: :crazy: :P :lol::lol:
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    MrSmith wrote:
    it seems completely useless unless you're someone famous.

and even then it still seems pretty fucking useless to me.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    norm wrote:
    The Champ wrote:
    ZiggyStar wrote:

champ, i'm sure your wife is lovely and all but that's ridiculous!!! :shock: :crazy: :P :lol::lol:

She is a former journalist so I guess she appreciates the updates etc. via twitter, but I'm not sure....and I don't blame her for thinking I'm nuts for participating in this clusterfuck as I tend to agree with her, but can't seem to do anything about it ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    The Champ wrote:
    She is a former journalist so I guess she appreciates the updates etc. via twitter, but I'm not sure....and I don't blame her for thinking I'm nuts for participating in this clusterfuck as I tend to agree with her, but can't seem to do anything about it ;) ..

she has her nonsense, we have ours ;):lol:
    norm wrote:
    The Champ wrote:

she has her nonsense, we have ours ;):lol:

Exactly how it works..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    You don't have to like Twitter, but it is here to stay it seems, and why not let the "insignificant" twidiots be? It's not like anyone is forcing you to read Twitter feeds.

There really is no concrete reason for it that I have found, and it is very easy for people to use it for just downright stupid things, but like was mentioned, there are accounts like CNN breaking news and everything. I have been informed of a lot of things via Twitter; Michael Jackson's death, The Balloon Boy incident(s), and even the Haiti disaster. Nobody is asking you to embrace this new technology, let alone enjoy it, but it is creating a new sort of dimension of news and just word of mouth kind of stuff. Balloon Boy for example; The incident with the kid supposedly being in the balloon became a lesser news story in my eyes after seeing how people reacted TO the story, which was most easily seen on twitter. People were cracking jokes about it, making shirts, and creating Twitter accounts with names like BoyInTheBalloon and BalloonBoy for comedic purposes, posting stuff like, "Wow, I can see the MOUNTAINS from here" and "Boy, my Dad'll be mad when I come down". Seeing how people observed the situation and were so widely fascinated by it, not to mention how a lot of the news updates broke through Twitter, was really interesting to watch.

And ya know what? Twitter is fun! People make a big deal about and ask questions like "Are we losing our privacy to Twitter?" but that's just ridiculous. What you post can be as personal or as non-personal as you want it to be, there are settings that you can enable to control who receives your update, and you can "block" anyone at any time.

So, yeah, I don't wanna hear about how big my friend's dog's shit was either, but I don't ever get that out of Twitter. I enjoy hearing about how my friends and distant relatives' days went, or what they are doing. I have a feeling that you think a Twitter post goes something like "OMG guyz, Im totaly (Misspelling intentional) at the mall with tom rite now, lol" but it can be so much more!

Oh yeah, and this one band, Pearl Jam, has a Twitter account, and I scored a sick orange vinyl off of it. I don't want to sell mine or anything, but at last check on eBay, it was going for around $600. Pretty insignificant, huh? 8-)
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
    loopjd wrote:
    You don't have to like Twitter, but it is here to stay it seems, and why not let the "insignificant" twidiots be? It's not like anyone is forcing you to read Twitter feeds.

There really is no concrete reason for it that I have found, and it is very easy for people to use it for just downright stupid things, but like was mentioned, there are accounts like CNN breaking news and everything. I have been informed of a lot of things via Twitter; Michael Jackson's death, The Balloon Boy incident(s), and even the Haiti disaster. Nobody is asking you to embrace this new technology, let alone enjoy it, but it is creating a new sort of dimension of news and just word of mouth kind of stuff. Balloon Boy for example; The incident with the kid supposedly being in the balloon became a lesser news story in my eyes after seeing how people reacted TO the story, which was most easily seen on twitter. People were cracking jokes about it, making shirts, and creating Twitter accounts with names like BoyInTheBalloon and BalloonBoy for comedic purposes, posting stuff like, "Wow, I can see the MOUNTAINS from here" and "Boy, my Dad'll be mad when I come down". Seeing how people observed the situation and were so widely fascinated by it, not to mention how a lot of the news updates broke through Twitter, was really interesting to watch.

And ya know what? Twitter is fun! People make a big deal about and ask questions like "Are we losing our privacy to Twitter?" but that's just ridiculous. What you post can be as personal or as non-personal as you want it to be, there are settings that you can enable to control who receives your update, and you can "block" anyone at any time.

So, yeah, I don't wanna hear about how big my friend's dog's shit was either, but I don't ever get that out of Twitter. I enjoy hearing about how my friends and distant relatives' days went, or what they are doing. I have a feeling that you think a Twitter post goes something like "OMG guyz, Im totaly (Misspelling intentional) at the mall with tom rite now, lol" but it can be so much more!

Oh yeah, and this one band, Pearl Jam, has a Twitter account, and I scored a sick orange vinyl off of it. I don't want to sell mine or anything, but at last check on eBay, it was going for around $600. Pretty insignificant, huh? 8-)

Holy shit that's a long ass fucking response..I'll read it one day when I'm sober and bored ;) ..
    and crack you up
    and I'll overdo it'
  • complete waste of fucking time.

gives people who have been conjoined into one name like speidi more ways to bug us.

vaporize twitter and everyone on it, in my opinion
  • i_lov_iti_lov_it Posts: 4,007
    Seriously! Since when does anyone give a shit what someone else had for breakfast? Remember back when people actually talked face to face? If you ever started talking about how much you're dog shit this morning, the conversation would be over. Now, it is a world wide event. Sorry if I seem to be behind in the times, but this doesn't make sense to me. Keeping the world up to date on you're pathetic, insignificant life seems to be a waste. And the people who follow celebs' lives need to get a life. No one give a fuck how many times Ashton Kutcher took a shit today. Get a hobby.

I've NEVER really Heard of it...But from What YOUR Saying it Does sound like a Bunch of SH*T!!! lol :P
  • jimed14jimed14 Posts: 9,488
    As a poster collector, it's a necessary evil as some artists and sites drop exclusive info first on twitter. Why? I have no idea, but they do. Much like those orange vinyls PJ was giving out, twitter was the way to follow that whole deal. I've never actually tweeted myself ... just follow art sites.

And then one or two others like the Sports Guy (Bill Simmons) who make me laugh.

But, I agree ... overall, it's pretty useless/redundant.
    "You're one of the few Red Sox fans I don't mind." - Newch91

"I don't believe in damn curses. Wake up the damn Bambino and have me face him. Maybe I'll drill him in the ass." --- Pedro Martinez
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    ooohhh jimed...I wanna link to that gear!!!!

Otherwise I have never bothered checking it out, haven't even been interested. i kinda put it the category of over-hyped and relatively useless, kinda like iphones etc (ready for the backlash ;) )..I got a touch screen phone and I;m fairly over it. I just wanna use the buttons and key in number etc no matter how drunk I am or what shitty public transport I am on...and for it to work the way I want it to straight away.
    So meh, twitter, apart from learning herre you get can free shit, meh...I don't need to know how many times someones dog shits everyday... I've got my own dog that I have to pick up it's shit...bet they don't!!! :roll: :D
  • MrSmith wrote:
    it seems completely useless unless you're someone famous.

Thats exactly right. What a complete waste of time.
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    I have a relative that uses Twitter. I'm not a follower (do not have an account) but I am confused when I try to read it. I can't tell when he is posting or if he is replying.

we always have entertainment (bullshit) shows on around 7:30 at night and I can't believe that twitter posts are now used as news, like when a celeb dies, they post other celebs' twitter condolence posts. How do you know it's the real person and not their assistant? I just think it is a lazy filler on their show.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    I like Twitter. :?

I don't use it to tell people what I've eaten or what I'm doing every single moment. I post thoughts and links and stuff. Admittedly, probably a lot of boring crap too. :lol: But hey, most of my "followers" are some kind of bots anyway. :P

I also like to talk to people on Twitter. (Right now, I'm LOVING Twitter cause of that whole talking thing. ;) ) And yes, following some celebrities (William Shatner, Robyn and Rainn Wilson to mention a few) and reading their tweets is fun. And it's easy to follow some webcomic updates on Twitter (like Savage Chickens), cause I know I'd probably forget to check the website. :mrgreen:

There's a lot more to Twitter than talking about your breakfast, it's what you make of it.

I just think it's unfair and silly of people to judge twitter-users if they don't even really know what can be done with it. :P I'm not saying everyone should get accounts, if you don't want to, that's fine. Not everyone is on Facebook, not everyone posts on forums.. But easy on the hate, man. :mrgreen:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • "Sitting at my computer, drinking a beer, reading everyone's opinion on everything."

(^^^ That's a Twitter update, by the way. :lol: )
  • loopjdloopjd Posts: 121
    bettielee wrote:
    complete waste of fucking time.

gives people who have been conjoined into one name like speidi more ways to bug us.

vaporize twitter and everyone on it, in my opinion

I don't like "speidi" any more than you. You get out of Twitter what you want, and if you never want to read what "speidi" has to say, you never have to.
    September 30th, 2009
    Best. Night. Ever.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,981
    The Champ wrote:

you're....... married ????? :shock: :shock: :wtf: :wtf: :lol::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14