facebook

Heineken HelenHeineken Helen Posts: 18,095
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
does anything there count as 'friendship'?

Should I just delete the entire thing?
The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
Verona??? it's all surmountable
Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
Wembley? We all believe!
Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
Chicago 07? And love
What a different life
Had I not found this love with you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• I don't use facebook. Never had never will. If I want to know how a friend is doing, I pick up the phone. I say delete it and free yourself from the dependancy.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • I have a facebook account but i only tend to add people i know and still talk too (some exceptions to that) but some people just add anyone they brush against. I swear some people must add their milkman to their list of 'friends'
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    i'll tell ya one thing...it makes it a helluva lot harder to dodge your bookie!
    www.myspace.com
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    It's great for keeping up with relatives and old friends.. nothing more.
  • You get whatever you want out of it. Some people go crazy and add everyone they have ever said hello to as a friend while others are obviously more selective. It's a great way to keep up with people if you ask me and much easier than calling or emailing all the time.
  • its easy to communicate with friends all over the globe,+ share infos,is one of my best pearl jam tools
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • dottlesdottles Posts: 9,140
    I sort of use it in two ways, I have friends and family on there that I like to stay in touch with, people I went to school with etc, and I've a fair few people from on here and other forums. I have separate lists so I generally only see updates from friends and family when log on, plus I use the privacy functions a lot. But then I can switch to see forum people and see what they are up to and for things like the tour it's been useful to find out where other people are staying and how they are travelling.
    I've friends all over the place, and keeping in contact by phone can be difficult, so we use Facebook instead.
    Plus I have Scrabble games with my friend Ian, something we did at uni and then we lost contact, found each other again through facebook, and it's fab we're friends again. We've visit each other,chat often on the phone and it's like we never lost contact. His boyfriend thinks we are mad for playing scrabble online, but it's fun.
    2009 - Manchester. 2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London, Berlin, Arras, Werchter. 2011 - PJ20 i & ii, Montreal, Toronto i & ii, Ottawa, Hamilton. 
    2012 - Manchester i & ii, Berlin i & ii, Stockholm. 2014 - Amsterdam i & ii, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Leeds, Milton Keynes.
    2016 - Boston Fenway i & ii, 2018 - Amsterdam i & ii, Pinkpop, London i & ii, Padova, Krakow, Barcelona, Seattle i & ii. 
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I like it to connect with old high school friends, that's been really fun. But I also set up my account under my married name (that I rarely use) so that's great because people can't find me.

Some of the people scare me who post all the time with the most banal stuff- Today I washed my hair. It's sunny here in Tulsa. I ate a hot dog for lunch!!

Not nearly as interesting as the conversations here on AET.
  • The thing that gets me is the drama that sometimes ensues over people's facebook pages. My sister is crazy about it and there's always some friend who is pissed off because of some kid's facebook status.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    Social networking is just NOT for me, I really don't understand the entire purpose of ANY of them. Then again I don't even text, so go figure, I only knew/figured out just 2 years ago you could basically have a computer on a phone. :shock:

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    It's definitely excellent for keeping in touch with your PJ friends far and near...planning get togethers...visits when travelling for shows..lodging together..pre- and post-parties....newest fan vids...etc...we have a great time!
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    I swore off Facebook and all other social networking sites for years! I was finally convinced this summer by my great-aunt to join Facebook and, aside from the random people I don't remember from high school who want to friend me, it's been great.

I just now found my best friend from 5th-7th grade and I'm so excited! I had forgotten her married name and couldn't find her anywhere. Apparently she had lost all my contact info and had been looking for me too. I'm so happy to have found her! That, alone, makes Facebook worth it to me. :D
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    I don't use facebook. Never had never will. If I want to know how a friend is doing, I pick up the phone. I say delete it and free yourself from the dependancy.

Same here brotha. Just seems like high school only on the internet. Like cyber-cliques. I just have enough to do and worry about in my life. I know who my friends are and the people I can count on. The rest can just stick it.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Facebook, like most things in life, is what you make of it. That's how I see it. I think it's great, it keeps me closer to friends and family, a lot of whom live far away... like you Helen! I don't want to lose you as a friend there. I like seeing your updates. C'mon... it's harmless.

And from what I understand you can never delete your Facebook account, only deactivate it. Maybe after it's deactivated long enough it gets deleted? I really don't know.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Facebook, like most things in life, is what you make of it. That's how I see it. I think it's great, it keeps me closer to friends and family, a lot of whom live far away... like you Helen! I don't want to lose you as a friend there. I like seeing your updates. C'mon... it's harmless.

And from what I understand you can never delete your Facebook account, only deactivate it. Maybe after it's deactivated long enough it gets deleted? I really don't know.
    Agreed. I keep in touch with my little cousins from Seattle, make sure they're ok, check up on them, etc... In university, it's also a great help in remembering people's names!
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I can't do facebook. my best friend, who knows everyone on the planet, is friends on facebook with every woman I've ever put my............... um ever gone out with.

I don't need that crap. He said they ask about me anyway, all I need is for them to see me as one of his "friends" on facebook.

it does remind me of high school.
    fuck that, no drama. I didn't like high school when I was IN high school, I'm pretty sure I would fucking hate it now.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Posts: 1,188
    I actually rely on FB a lot, and for me, it's probably the only way I could keep in touch with my old school mates. For the past few weeks, I've had people add me as their 'friend' simply because we have something in common (Bruce Springsteen, in this case); I'm actually fine with that. What bugs me the most is the status updates. I'm studying in the university, so you can imagine the endless bitching about school that appears on people's status, and it gets even worse during exams period. And what's up with those people talking about their boring lives? I prefer just putting some PJ lyrics in my status update, LOL!!!
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    its easy to communicate with friends all over the globe,+ share infos,is one of my best pearl jam tools
    Well said Jimmy!
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• I got a Facebook account just so I could become a fan of "Not playing Farmville." It sort of grew from there.
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    haven't touched facebook since the girlfriend left me back in november..........just can't go on there anymore and endure through the updated statuses and friends comments.......will probably delete it in a few months.
  • samjamsamjam Posts: 9,283
    I'm probably one of the only high school students to not have a Facebook- I mean, I see the appeal, but I don't know, I just don't care for it. Call me old-fashioned, but send me an e-mail, text me, call me!!! I'll probably end up getting one soon just because I want to be sure to keep in touch with friends before we all go away to college, though. My friends think I'm crazy for not having one, but I'm doing just fine!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
    samjam wrote:
    Call me old-fashioned, but send me an e-mail, text me...
    :lol::lol::D
    Just found another old friend who I've been looking for for years!! :D
  • scb wrote:
    samjam wrote:
    :lol::lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    scb wrote:
    samjam wrote:

i thought the same thing...but then i think he/she is 17 so that is old fashioned to them :P

as for facebook, if you take it seriously, you have problems beyond the internet :D
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,992
    Speaking of Facebook, does anyone have problems uploading pictures through their upload feature? Like, consistently? I'm continuously getting this 'upload failed' message and I don't understand why. Can someone help me out?
  • Speaking of Facebook, does anyone have problems uploading pictures through their upload feature? Like, consistently? I'm continuously getting this 'upload failed' message and I don't understand why. Can someone help me out?
    I think they have a nudity rule... Like it has to be a certain size in order to publish it.
    :D
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    huh?

its good.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Speaking of Facebook, does anyone have problems uploading pictures through their upload feature? Like, consistently? I'm continuously getting this 'upload failed' message and I don't understand why. Can someone help me out?
    I think they have a nudity rule... Like it has to be a certain size in order to publish it.
    :D

:lol::lol: love it!!
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    It could be the picture is to big,anything over 8 megapixal it has trouble uploading :)