Film cliches!

tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
People were talking about these at another forum I post on and one in particular I thought was very true:

The good guy gets into a fight with a bunch of villains, but luckily they only take him on one at a time while the rest just circle menacingly around. After he's taken a hell of a beating with little or no signs of distress, he then winces when the leading lady dabs gently at his wounds with a damp cloth.

Another one:

A woman looks in her bathroom cabinet mirror, opens it, takes something out, closes it - GASP! A figure is now visible behind her in the mirror!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• How about the ever-present montage, Rocky IV style? It's a cool way of cramming weeks of timeline in a movie into 60 seconds, all to the music of some cheesy 80's song. Karate Kid too. I love how some (South Park particularly) always pokes fun at this.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • EnkiduEnkidu Posts: 2,996
    I like in war movies where some guy pulls out a picture of his girl back home - he's dead.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Like that flick Cloverfield. The whole movie they can hear the monster from miles away tearing shit up. but then, miraculously, in a moment of silence the guy turns around and the monster is there. What? Did the monster tiptoe up to this guy and try to scare him? Jurassic Park is another example of this.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    Horror movies have a very specific formula:

1. You can never have sex. The minute you get a little nookie, you're as good as gone. Sex always equals death.

2. Never drink or do drugs. The sin factor. It's an extension of number one.

3. Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, say "I'll be right back".
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • I like when a duo splits up. One always goes on to great success while the other guy falls in a rut. But of course, something will come up that will make the successful guy have to seek out the guy in the rut, apologize to him, and reunite against a force that would be too much for successful guy to take on alone
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tcaporale wrote:
    People were talking about these at another forum I post on and one in particular I thought was very true:

The good guy gets into a fight with a bunch of villains, but luckily they only take him on one at a time while the rest just circle menacingly around. After he's taken a hell of a beating with little or no signs of distress, he then winces when the leading lady dabs gently at his wounds with a damp cloth.

Another one:

A woman looks in her bathroom cabinet mirror, opens it, takes something out, closes it - GASP! A figure is now visible behind her in the mirror!

soo true!
    also, when a good guy fights with bad ones, they prefer not to shoot him, even if they all have guns, but have a melee fight. And if they decided to shoot of course they would miss him from any range..

the greatest cliche for me is the Big Bad Guy saying to a hero "Ok, before I kill you I'll tell you something.." and then he tells all his plans instead of simple killing.. then he turns his back.. you know the rest :lol:
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    "Retirony"

Getting shot then saying "But I was only two days away from retirement".
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    The Red Uniform.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    guy meets girl....girl initially is uninterested in guy...guy and girl do activity together...guy and girl fall for eachother... guy screws up...girl gets hurts and hates guy...guy does something incredibly over the top for girl...guy and girl fall back in love forever...the end.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    i'm getting to old for this shit
  • 1.evil white people invade innocent natives, one white guy changes sides, then becomes the saviour of the hopeless natives and repels the evil whities.

2.Michelle Rodriguez in every role she's ever played.

3. the corporate guy is ALWAYS evil.
  • MrSmith wrote:
    1.evil white people invade innocent natives, one white guy changes sides, then becomes the saviour of the hopeless natives and repels the evil whities.

:lol::lol::lol:
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Some more:

When the villain has captured the good guy, he will never just kill him there and then, he will first give a detailed breakdown of his master plan, complete with Powerpoint presentation and handouts, before leaving him in a room very slowly filling up with water or poison gas, with a parting shot of "Such a pity you have to die - we could have achieved so much together".

Man and woman are at loggerheads the whole time, it escalates into a shouting match, she goes to slap him, he siezes her wrist, they glare at each other - then start passionately kissing.

A tense situation builds up, the character is afraid something bad is going to happen, then it happens and they somehow escape only to die seconds later while they're relaxing because of a second truly unexpected attack. It seems this is the cornerstone of modern horror.

Person A resolves to tell Person B something really devastating - usually that he/she is dumping him/her. A says "I've got something to tell you - " only to be interrupted by B who excitedly tells the other person something really positive that includes a phrase like "This is just the new start I needed!" followed by "Anyway, what was it you wanted to say?" to which a shifty A says "Oh - never mind, it was nothing" at which point B completely loses interest / totally forgets A had something to say.
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    tcaporale wrote:

Similar to this, the bad guy beats the crap out of the good guy and the good guy struggles to get back up, saying "Is that the best you can do?"
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Tough guys don't look at explosions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
    This made me laugh:

A slight diversion, but film trailers are also exasperating in their clichedness. And I'm not talking so much about the gravel-voiced "In a world where..." or "It was a time of..." or "One man. One woman. Together, they..." etc etc etc. I mean the whole structure of trailers - they are practically identical. You get the ramp-up of edits, with a backdrop of frenzied drums, exaggerated music 'stings' and wooshing crashes, which all then stop - pause - voiceover delivers supposedly killer line: "And he's got only 24 hours to SAVE THE ENTIRE WORLD" - cue renewed explosion of insane music and head-spinning fast edits - title caption, end. The only diference you sometimes get is after the pause and killer line, you sometimes have a slower series of edits with mini-blackout fades between them, with slower slushier music, if it's a more 'emotional' film, in which case you will get a montage of crying people being comforted.

Oh, and if the film has the obligatory scene of someone dancing to a soundtrack song, it will be jump-cut into the trailer.

I mean, it's a trailer, I know we're not expecting High Art, but for fuck's sake do something to not make all films look the same! (Then again, maybe all films are the same...)
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    MrSmith wrote:
    1.evil white people invade innocent natives, one white guy changes sides, then becomes the saviour of the hopeless natives and repels the evil whities.

I take it you didn't like Avatar
    :lol:
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • someone holding on to something for dear life and just as they lose their grip a hand comes out from nowhere to keep them from falling
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Main character "kills" the bad guy early in the movie, leaving him for dead on the ground. The next time he/she looks back, the body is gone... for they are still alive!!!!
  • usually after a scene of high emotion, the actor, closes the door, starts crying and lets their body, slowly, fall to the ground
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Pizza guy rings doorbell, says “special delivery” :D

The ‘NOOOOOOOO’ cry when someone dies. Three popular variations of this one:

- A character is killed, the death witnessed by a loved one who reaches out a hand in a futile attempt to save them.
    - Loved one arrives a second too late. This cry is filmed from above (sometimes while zooming out), while the dead persons’ head is cradled.
    - The grieving character learns second hand that their loved one has died. Griever either collapses in tears or throws a tantrum. (Star Wars fans shudder)

“we’ve got company” when being chased. (first spoken by Han Solo?)
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    ahem,........ the post rape scene shower, where the girl slides down into the tub and cries as water falls over her. :?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
    or the the post dream date scene where the girl closes the door after seh gets in her home, pushes her back against it, clutches her hands against her chest and sighs romantically, then leaves the scene
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    10102407.jpg

The scene where a severed hand grabs a guy by the throat.

It's in every movie from When Harry Met Sally to Biodome.
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Martial Arts tough guy relises he's not the toughest in the world. Goes off and does some soul searching and trains with wise old man with quirky personality then comes back, kicks arse, gets the girl and everyone to believe in him again. (Insert training montage here) :D
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    Whizbang wrote:
    Horror movies have a very specific formula:

1. You can never have sex. The minute you get a little nookie, you're as good as gone. Sex always equals death.

2. Never drink or do drugs. The sin factor. It's an extension of number one.

3. Never, ever, ever, under any circumstances, say "I'll be right back".

Watched Scream at all lately?
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    Whenever there the scene where you are revealed the alien spacecraft at Area 51 or the Top Secret Military Facility or the military secret weapons development laboratory there's alway an airlocked door and low angled lighting through fog.
    The romantic comedy always has the long, deep hearted momologue... you know. the 'You complete me...' monologue. At least you know the movie is about to end.
    You can always tell the bad guys (who will meet their death when they ignore the warnings of the good guys) because they always are a well regimented unit with matching sunglasses, black suits and drive black vehicles in formation... compared to the good guys who are an eclectic mix of rag-tag, quirky misfits who dress like bums and drive vehicles are pieces of crap.
    The comedic side-kick that you know will die in the arms of the hero.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!
    How to be successful evil overlord: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1kPfVm/ww ... /evil.html

This is great! :lol:
    tcaporale wrote:
    How to be successful evil overlord: http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1kPfVm/ww ... /evil.html

This is great! :lol:
    hahah its too true!!