deluxe or deville

kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
ok so heres the story..... in april im going to be getting a rather nice bonus at work and im planning on blowing it all on a new amp. The 2 im looking at are the fender hotrod deluxe and the fender hotrod deville 212. I know im definately planning on going for fender as ive had fender amps before in the past and i love there clean tones. Id definately consider getting a traynor ycv but unfortunately here in the uk they are very hard to come by and if you can find them they seem to cost rather over the odds in comparison to US prices. Im kinda leading towards the deville at the moment due to the 2x12" speakers as opposed to the single 12" in the deluxe. Just wondering if any of you guys can help me decide or give me advice.

thanks
I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• If you already settled for these amps, it depends on what you're planning to do with it. As the deville is not that much heavier and bigger than the deluxe, it kind of boils to the question of power. The deville isn't necessarily much 'louder' than the deluxe, because 40 or 60 watts in tube amps doesn't make that much of a difference. Maybe a little more headroom. The second speaker gives you a little 'bigger' sound that might come in handy if you're playing fairly small or slightly bigger stages and move around a lot, because on small stages it might not be mic'd and it helps getting your sound across the room and on bigger stages it might help because if you step away from your monitors towards the back of the stage you might be able to hear yourself a little better back there. Other than that, there's not that much difference.
    And don't forget that there's still the option of extension cabs. Personally, I've had some experience with both amps and I would go for the deville. But that's just me.
    Hope that wasn't too confusing...
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    cheers for the reply mate. Nah it werent confusing at all. Ive been working for allen and heath for the last 10 years so i know quite alot about live sound haha. Yeah i think im gonna go for the deville but im still open to more opinions. Its always good to get many different opinions.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Are you looking at the 212 or the 410 Deville? I have a Traynor 410 that I bought cause it was cheapish, and I absolutely LOVE the 410.

I'd go with the Deville, but thats just me. The Deluxe will do you fine, and at 40 watts, it'll be tough to crank either way. I'm all about the Fender cleans, so the more headroom, the better.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    if i go for the deville which is looking more and more likely then it`ll definately be the 212. I like the idea of having more clean headroom too. I know what you mean about fender cleans i love them too.
    It seems I recommend these amps in every thread, but DO check out the Traynor YCV40 or 80. A direct shot at the Fender Hot Rod market, and great great amps. A much better overdrive channel IMO.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I guess I'll buck the trend and say Deluxe.

But that goes for a guy who's had to carry around some amps in his day. If it's big *enough*, then any bigger is a waste. I'd get the Deluxe and use the extra money you'd save to buy a good amp stand that can get the amp off the ground and pointed toward your ears, or maybe an ATA road case. If you get to a point where you're playing bigger venues and want the stage presence, add an extension cab.

I've played some gigs myself with the Deluxe, and never felt it was too small. And I've been a soundguy for many bands with Deluxes, and I've never felt like they suffered at all compared to half-stack monster amps. And as a guy who likes power tube saturation, I'd rather run a smaller amp on 4 than a bigger amp on 2.

Of course, if you play 1000+ seat venues and have roadies, get whatever you want, they can carry the damn thing.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 Posts: 37,412
    It seems I recommend these amps in every thread, but DO check out the Traynor YCV40 or 80. A direct shot at the Fender Hot Rod market, and great great amps. A much better overdrive channel IMO.

i agree with this 100%. i wish that i'd checked them out before buying my HRD. the overdrive on the Traynor is nice! that being said, i still love my HRD. i've played the hell our of it for 3+ years & it still sounds great! either way, congrats on getting a new amp!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Just throwing my two cents in. The HRD seems to be the most versatile and has a much better drive channel than the DeVille.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • Last year I decided to buy the deluxe. I'm not disappointed. Volume certainly isn't a problem with the deluxe and for what its worth, I'd rather get that and have more money in my pocket.
  • Last year I decided to buy the deluxe. I'm not disappointed. Volume certainly isn't a problem with the deluxe and for what its worth, I'd rather get that and have more money in my pocket.
    HRD's are hella loud if you want them to be but also good enough to get a good "neighborhood" volume.
    Grand Rapids '04, Detroit '06
    JEFF HARDY AND JEFF AMENT USED TO LOOK THE SAME
    "Pearl Jam always eases my mind and fires me up at the same time.”-Jeff Hardy
  • pearljam7pearljam7 Posts: 447
    I have a deville and have since grown out of it. Its a good amp to get as your first real amplifier, but right now its not giving me the sound or tone i need. If your serious, save up for a bit longer and get yourself a vintage marshall or something. You guys might think im crazy for saying this..but thats my experience with the deville.
    5/4/2006, 5/12/2006, 5/13/2006, 6/1/2006, 6/3/2006, 6/24/2008, 6/25/2008, 6/27/2008, 6/30/2008, 8/4/08, 8/5/08, 8/7/08
    The HRD series are good workhorse amplifiers. Marshalls, I'm not so convinced, but half my playing is clean, so they're just not my thing.