why do people die during liposuction?

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited March 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
is it the suction (does it cause blood clots?)

do you know anyone who had it? how's it look yrs later?
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    i know of people who've had it, but no one close enough that I would ask them anything personal about it.

All I know is that liposuction doesn't train the people who get the operation how to keep the fat off so they end up looking just how they started in a couple years.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I think that many of the people that have died were not in good enough health to have a surgery like that in the first place. From what I've seen on DHC, looks like its pretty tough on the body.
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    I think that many of the people that have died were not in good enough health to have a surgery like that in the first place. From what I've seen on DHC, looks like its pretty tough on the body.
    well don't they like, vigourously flush the fat out... like that tube they use or whatever. it sure doesn't look gentle!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    haffajappa wrote:
    PJGARDEN wrote:
    well don't the like, vigourously flush the fat out... like that tube they use or whatever. it sure doesn't look gentle!!

ugh!

pjgarden, what is dhc?

oh well if it is that awful, I guess I better try body building or something. Or I could wear pants at the beach :(
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Don't they use anesthesia? That in itself carries a risk of death.
    DHC is Discovery Health. I don't watch it that often though b/c I don't really have the stomach for it.
  • FrannyFranny Posts: 2,054
    probably 2 reasons...reaction to anesthetic, or body goes into shock....dunno really maybe one to research
    probably 2 reasons...reaction to anesthetic, or body goes into shock....dunno really maybe one to research

shock?
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
    iluvcats wrote:

shock?

You really should watch how they do it. Its unbelievable. I think my body goes into shock just thinking about it. I'm sure you could find a youtube clip. Would search for ya but I can't get on at work.
  • StarfallStarfall Posts: 548
    Liposuction is done using a general anesthetic - there's a not unlikely chance one could die if one is in Stage 2 anesthesia (excitement) too long, or one goes into Stage 4 (overdose)
    "It's not hard to own something. Or everything. You just have to know that it's yours, and then be willing to let it go." - Neil Gaiman, "Stardust"
    I read that some people's heart rate became too low from the anesthesia. I also read that one woman did die of a blood clot. maybe she would have died anyway that the procedure just accelerated it. one of my relatives had it done but she is addicted to plastic surgery and junk food. so it is the easy way out, but expensive.
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • If you know anyone thinking of liposuction, gastric bypass, or other dangerous surgery: PLEASE have them try hcg injections first. Human chorionic gonadotropin is a pregnancy hormone. When injected daily, it "instructs" the body to release fat stores. (Because in a real pregnancy, the fat would be used as energy to grow a foetus.)

The hormone is much cheaper than any surgery, there are no hospital stays. The person can simply stop taking the hormone at any point, so there would not be the dramatic, life-threatening complications that occur with surgery. Hcg has been used by models and actresses for decades as a way to stay rail-thin. Although, I saw an old interview with Joanna Lumley where she explains that she felt morning sick during the treatment. :P
    "May you live in interesting times."
  • Karma ;)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    its normally because they can't breathe as their mouths have 11 burgers stuffed in there during the op.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.