Text $10 to the Red Cross for Haiti

__ Posts: 6,651
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Apparently you can donate $10 to the Red Cross for relief in Haiti by texting the word "HAITI" to 90999. The $10 will be added to your cell phone bill. Brilliant!

http://www.redcross.org/

http://www.state.gov/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,283
    Yep, one of the smartest things they've ever done!!
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,112
    UPS will be shipping for free to Haiti tomorrow, send what you can.
  • cool move... besides texting yourself, grab any unattended cell phone that you can find and text it for them.

kidding....

well, sort of.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    Bump! :)
  • $3 million already donated via text messages!!

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... i/1?csp=34
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I work for the Red Cross and appreciate your putting this out there. It's such a horrific catastrophe, all legitimate organizations can use what ever you can spare. I encourage everyone to approach those in charge at their workplaces and come up with some campaign to assist these people, whether it be clothes, miscellaneous goods, water, etc.
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    edited January 2010
    Not trying to be a downer, just an FYI:

MSNBC asked Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint whether or not they're charging for the popular "text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10" meme that's been going around online for the past two days, and that so far has raked in over $3 million dollars. Verizon and T-Mobile say they're not. AT&T and Sprint say they are, but that if you just upgrade to an unlimited text message package then you won't have to worry about it.

What makes this even more ridiculous is that text messaging costs carriers next to nothing--it's almost pure profit. AT&T and Sprint have apparently decided that they'd like to get in on the Haiti disaster and make a little something something off of the goodwill of their customers. My suggestion: if you're an AT&T or Sprint customer, donate some other way.

http://consumerist.com/2010/01/att-and- ... tions.html
    Update: MSNBC has updated their article, and they say that AT&T has announced it will waive fees for donations, and apply the exemption retroactively to those who have already donated
    Post edited by DeLukin on
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    DeLukin wrote:

MSNBC asked Verizon, T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint whether or not they're charging for the popular "text HAITI to 90999 to donate $10" meme that's been going around online for the past two days, and that so far has raked in over $3 million dollars. Verizon and T-Mobile say they're not. AT&T and Sprint say they are, but that if you just upgrade to an unlimited text message package then you won't have to worry about it.

What makes this even more ridiculous is that text messaging costs carriers next to nothing--it's almost pure profit. AT&T and Sprint have apparently decided that they'd like to get in on the Haiti disaster and make a little something something off of the goodwill of their customers. My suggestion: if you're an AT&T or Sprint customer, donate some other way.

I know that is sad isn't it, I have a feeling in the long run, they will decide to waive the fee and donate the entire amount, just to save face, if nothing else
  • If you are worried about the 50 cents or whatever it will cost you to send the text, then donate another way.

I was going to say ten cents, but it takes a few texts back and forth to confirm the donation.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    This is a great wat to donate!
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Donated. :thumbup:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • petrocspetrocs Posts: 4,342
    Done.
    Shows:
    9/24/96 MD. 9/28/96 Randalls. 8/28-29/98 Camden. 9/8/98 NJ. 9/18/98 MD. 9/1-2/00 Camden. 9/4/00 MD. 4/28/03 Philly. 7/5-6/03 Camden. 9/30/05 AC.
    10/3/05 Philly. 5/27-28/06 Camden. 6/23/06 Pitt. 6/19-20/08 Camden. 6/24/08 MSG. 8/7/08 EV Newark, NJ. 6/11-12/09 EV Philly, PA. 10/27-28-30-31/09 Philly, PA., 5/15/10 Hartford,5/17/10 Boston, 5/18/10 Newark, 5/20-21/10 MSG
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    DeLukin wrote:

Update: MSNBC has updated their article, and they say that AT&T has announced it will waive fees for donations, and apply the exemption retroactively to those who have already donated

AT&T probably realize how rude their initial move was...but why must they make that kind of move in the first place? :roll:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • donate here in Greece,i suppose the next days will be an official work donation too,and for sure all this help will be transfer by Airforce that i work for
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,285
    I did this last night ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Looks like, thankfully, now all of the major carriers have decided not to charge for your donations.

Also, iTunes has set up a really easy way to donate to the Red Cross right from the iTunes store. Very easy to do (just open iTunes, click the 'haiti earthquake relief donate here' icon, and select an amount) and perfect for those of us who aren't comfortable with the text-donation method.
    I smile, but who am I kidding...