Conan gives the finger and a big F- You to NBC

Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
This is why Conan rocks!

http://tv.yahoo.com/blog/conan-o-brien- ... -show--911

The murky mess that is NBC's late-night schedule got a little clearer today, as Conan O'Brien announced he would not host "The Tonight Show" at 12:05am to accomodate moving a shortened "Jay Leno Show" to 11:35pm.

O'Brien, who took over the "Tonight Show" reins from Leno on June 1, issued a statement in which he explained "The Tonight Show" would no longer be "The Tonight Show" if it were moved back, and said he wanted no part in damaging what he considered the "greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting."

The question of what's next for the veteran comedy writer and 16-year host of NBC's "Late Night" remains unclear. O'Brien addressed talk of a jump to Fox by saying: "I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next."

Read O'Brien's full statement below:

People of Earth:

In the last few days, I've been getting a lot of sympathy calls, and I want to start by making it clear that no one should waste a second feeling sorry for me. For 17 years, I've been getting paid to do what I love most and, in a world with real problems, I've been absurdly lucky. That said, I've been suddenly put in a very public predicament and my bosses are demanding an immediate decision.

Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009. Like a lot of us, I grew up watching Johnny Carson every night and the chance to one day sit in that chair has meant everything to me. I worked long and hard to get that opportunity, passed up far more lucrative offers, and since 2004 I have spent literally hundreds of hours thinking of ways to extend the franchise long into the future. It was my mistaken belief that, like my predecessor, I would have the benefit of some time and, just as important, some degree of ratings support from the prime-time schedule. Building a lasting audience at 11:30 is impossible without both.

But sadly, we were never given that chance. After only seven months, with my Tonight Show in its infancy, NBC has decided to react to their terrible difficulties in prime-time by making a change in their long-established late night schedule.

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn't the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn't matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

There has been speculation about my going to another network but, to set the record straight, I currently have no other offer and honestly have no idea what happens next. My hope is that NBC and I can resolve this quickly so that my staff, crew, and I can do a show we can be proud of, for a company that values our work.

Have a great day and, for the record, I am truly sorry about my hair; it's always been that way.

Yours,

Conan
Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
"Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    i read that earlier, that's great. good for Conan. :clap:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Yeah. Conan doesn't deserve to be treated like shit while NBC sucks on Leno's sack.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Television execs are a bunch of reactionary tools and Leno sucks anyhow.
    Jam out with your clam out.
  • good for him
    long red wrote:
    Television execs are a bunch of reactionary tools and Leno sucks anyhow.

Well that's just obvious that Leno sucks.
  • aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    Fuck NBC!!! I agree with Conan 100%!!!

I tell you what, Conan should move to another network, and have Worldwide Pants produce his show..... though that may have a conflict of interest.

I wish this was when Dave was ready to retire.....he could take over The Late Show. Not that I want Dave to retire anytime soon, but inevitably it will happen.
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    So is tonight the last show with Conan?
    So is tonight the last show with Conan?

I have no idea. I hope not.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Fuck Leno. Unless you are collecting Social Security, who seriously watches this show? The baby boomers that's who. Conan is so much more talented and is doing the right thing. I hope he goes to Fox and kills in the ratings, then when Leno has a stroke or all the boomers die, then NBC will try to blow him to come back. And then he will tell NBC to suck his dick and carry on hosting the best late-night show in history.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Newch91 wrote:
    Yeah. Conan doesn't deserve to be treated like shit while NBC sucks on Leno's sack.

Exactly. I like seeing Conan stand up for himself and just walk away after being treated so "kindly" by NBC. He barely had the show for 7 months, such a shame.

Good luck, Conan. You deserve it.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Fuck Leno. Unless you are collecting Social Security, who seriously watches this show? The baby boomers that's who. Conan is so much more talented and is doing the right thing. I hope he goes to Fox and kills in the ratings, then when Leno has a stroke or all the boomers die, then NBC will try to blow him to come back. And then he will tell NBC to suck his dick and carry on hosting the best late-night show in history.

This shit made me laugh. :lol:
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
    dcfaithful wrote:

This shit made me laugh. :lol:

LMAO same here! +10000000
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,867
    just reinforces the old rule
    if it aint broke, dont fix it
    What was NBC thinking. Good for you Conan. And he is saying that having a show at 12 is not the tonight show because his contract guarantees him $45 million if he is not the host of the tonight show.
    I hope he gets his cake and Id love to see him on spike or some other cable network so he can go a bit more risque.
  • I'm not even a big fan of Conan, but good for him.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • :thumbup:

Good for Conan.

I love that he doesn't bend over for the man.

I love Conan and will certainly miss his hilarious hijinks.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    conan pretty much sucks as the tonight show host
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • I miss Johnny Carson............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    Letterman had some interesting comments about Conan forcing NBC's hand (as opposed to just leaving on his own) as a way to get around a no-compete clause. I gotta say, not that Dave should be anyone's moral compass, but he seems to have hit the nail on the head about this one - this is all less about the 'integrity of the Tonight Show' and more about the Benjamins...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A98_-EeXS_I (relevant comments at 3:15)
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Isn't NBC breaching the contract by making this move? That proves to be quite a sum of money in Conan's pocket...and giving the network the finger proves to be his wisest move. It's pretty shitty what the network is doing.
  • peacegirlpeacegirl Posts: 835
    I don't get NBC so I don't watch Leno or Conan...I'm a Dave girl....but I think Conan is making the right decision
  • This whole process reeks of NBC trying to weasel out of the big payout it was supposed to give Conan if he didn't have TTS by 2009, which he signed back in 04. I seriously want to stop watching that network after all this.
  • This is the most amazing part:

"Six years ago, I signed a contract with NBC to take over The Tonight Show in June of 2009."

Six YEARS ago? wtf were you doing six years ago? They plan this stuff -that- far in advance?

mind boggling.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,818
    it looks like he may be out. It's being reported that they reached a deal and they'll give $25 or $30 million to leave.
    I miss igotid88
    This whole process reeks of NBC trying to weasel out of the big payout it was supposed to give Conan if he didn't have TTS by 2009, which he signed back in 04. I seriously want to stop watching that network after all this.

Same here. If he is no longer on the show, I will stop watching NBC. Although, it is a big conflict for me, seeing as I'm a huge fan of The Office and love that show.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    with all due respect,
    And I LOVE Conan,

but he shouldve been cautious with the suits over at NBC,

afterall, look at the entire situation that occured with

Letterman - they totally fucked him over back when Carson retired.

NBC execs seem to be a bunch of undecisive turds.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life