Donnie Darko

musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,116
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
Just watched this for the first time, minutes ago. HOLY CRAP, the last 5 minutes or so I had goosebumps and tears were welling up.

What the hell does it all mean? What's the moral or meaning behind the film? Was the movie just Donnies dreams? What just happenend?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• meveretmeveret Posts: 110
    Hahahahahahahah...... I rented it about a year or two ago and was also really blown away. I remember it came out when I was in high school and figured it was just some dumb teen drama of some sort. Suffice to say I was totally blown away. Usually I hate movies that have ambiguous endings/storylines but in this case I think it really succeeds. I'm still not sure what exactly happens in the end of that movie, and thats okay its just that good!
    Hamilton, ON 9/13/2005
    Albany NY 5/12/2006
    Mansfield, MA 6/28/2008
    Buffalo, NY 5/10/2010
    Hamilton, ON 9/15/2011
    Buffalo, NY 10/12/2013
  • markin ballmarkin ball Posts: 1,075
    I'm not sure the movie gives you enough to draw decisive conclusions but it is a whole lot of fun to mull over and digest. All you need to realize is that it is a very cool movie. In a while you will accept that and move on with your life. :lol:
    "First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win ."

"With our thoughts we make the world"
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    'Tis alright.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • toodeetoodee Posts: 89
    When you watch a brain twisting movie like Donnie Darko, it's best to watch a Chuck Norris movie immediately afterward, that way, you are not tempted to think about what you've just seen :lol:
  • toodee wrote:
    When you watch a brain twisting movie like Donnie Darko, it's best to watch a Chuck Norris movie immediately afterward, that way, you are not tempted to think about what you've just seen :lol:

Well, that can backfire too. Anytime I see Chuck Norris flicks I think for hours... I wonder, how the hell did this script ever make it off the floor? How did they get ANY funding to make this flick? Am I the only person in the world that has ever seen this movie? Should I kill myself? See, his movies are deep man! ahaha, j/k! :lol:

Donnie Darko was spectacular though. I need to throw it in again as i havent watched it in a few years. I just love the scene where he gives the speech at school near the end.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    read it has symbolises the crucifixion or something.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,992
    The rabbit is still alive and kicking. He works for the Philadelphia 76ers as their mascot - Hip Hop. Scariest mascot ever for a child.
  • You should see 'Southland Tales' - the film he did after Donnie Darko. Worst film EVER i've seen a film called the nostril picker.

Its sort of similar to Donnie Darko but he clearly hasnt got a fookin clue what he's on about.

Buy it, rent it whatever but you will not belive just how bad it really is.

Donnie Darko is good though.
  • libragirllibragirl Posts: 4,632
    That movie was very weird.
    These cuts are leaving creases. Trace the scars to fit the pieces, to tell the story, you don't need to say a word.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    i felt the same way man.

those last couple of minutes...really powerful stuff. i too was BLOWN away after i saw it. i couldn't stop thinking about it. it's very symbolic and has many different meanings. phenomenal movie.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • wash_wash_ Posts: 1,073
    Brilliant film. Great soundtrack too.

Saw it when it came out. Still trying to figure out what the fuck it means!
    2006 ░▒▓ Astoria, Dublin, Leeds, Reading, Lisbon, Paris, Verona, Athens
    2007 ░▒▓ London, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009 ░▒▓ Manchester, London
    2010 ░▒▓ Hyde Park

*§* Music is all the juice i'll need *§*
  • spatspat Posts: 644
    i love when donnie darko posts come up :D one of my favorite movies ever. i've seen it a few dozen times and everytime i catch onto something different. there are many websites dedicated to helping explain everything, the director's cut version helps a lot in explaining the Philosophy of Time Travel, plus the audio commentaries. just keep watching it over and over! and yes, the soundtrack is one of the best aspects of it.
    My favorite Pearl Jam song: "Corporate Greed Boat Asshole Behind a Counter in the Oval Office"
  • toodeetoodee Posts: 89
    Donnie Darko was a good movie, but the obsessive fan documentary that came with the Director's Cut DVD was better :lol:

Now there's someone who should be making movies :lol:
  • You only just discovere donnie darko?
    That is my FAV movie ever! I love it!!
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009