Samsung LCD TV's suck

youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
So I am watching TV Saturday night and I got up to take a piss and come back and the TV screen is black but I can still hear sound. Had to watch the playoffs on Sunday on my old 25" Sharp TV in my son's playroom. I bought this TV in 2006 and it was the newest TV on the market so it didn't have any customer reviews. Now I am looking it up online and seeing that Samsung has had this problem with most of these model TV's. It seems to be a T-Con board (Timing Control) that goes out and causes the screen to go black. I have a Sears repairman coming to the house tomorrow to take a look and diagnose it. Who knows how long until it is fixed or when I get a new TV. To make matters worse I purchased it from Circuit City so I have to deal with the 3rd party insurance company. The 25" Sharp I have had since 1994 and has more hours on it than Air Force One. Yet a TV I spent $3,000 on in 2006 lasts just over 3 years and I only watch it 2-3 hours a day. I swear it's a racket with these new TV's. They are made to break within 5 years.
He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    what model do you have? i have one of their 37'' LCDs for about 2 years now, and its been the tits since day 1.
  • My Samsung is great but i haven't had it a year yet :?

LCD are a lot more delicate then the old CRTs. More problems can arise as a consequence. Nothing seems to last these days do they?

I think i read somewhere that the most common problem is that people have the backlight turned on to maximum all the time as this setting is just supposed to be for demonstartion purposes i.e. in a store.
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    what model do you have? i have one of their 37'' LCDs for about 2 years now, and its been the tits since day 1.

I have the LNS4692D. That is the 46" LCD Flatscreen HDTV. It was the tits for me until Saturday night. Never had a problem before. Now reading about it online, many other angry customers have had this same problem. I just hope it can be fixed or I want a new TV. I still have a year and a half left on the extended warranty.

• I have a 50'' pioneer kuro plasma, absolutly the most amazing picture out there.... just a recomendation
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    My Samsung is great but i haven't had it a year yet :?

LCD are a lot more delicate then the old CRTs. More problems can arise as a consequence. Nothing seems to last these days do they?

I think i read somewhere that the most common problem is that people have the backlight turned on to maximum all the time as this setting is just supposed to be for demonstartion purposes i.e. in a store.

yeah i have a buddy who has that shit cranked up... and he boasts how great his picture is

i find it blinding as well as i've told him it's dangerous
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    I love my Samsung LCD. :D of course...... It will be going with the GF when she gets all her things since we paid for it with a check from her grand fathers wrongful death suit. :? :cry:
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    looking for a new tv 42"-50". LCD or Plasma?
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    LEDs are monsters. it's an LCD on steroids.

waiting for those baby to have a price drop though.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    booomm11 wrote:
    looking for a new tv 42"-50". LCD or Plasma?

all depends what you are watching and using your screen for, I just handed a report before xmas all about the characteristics of CRT, LCD and PDPs and how they compare and why.
  • milarsomilarso Posts: 1,280
    This is troubling, especially since I just bought a Samsung LCD just after Christmas... :?
    "The dude abides. I don't know about you, but I take comfort in that. It's good knowin' he's out there. The Dude. Takin' her easy for all us sinners."

For real? yeah, i'm not trying to pay 2grand. Seen some great deals at Best Buy & Circuit City, probably gonna go tonight. Is there a difference between the two?
    mostly video games, movies(blue ray), and sports will be used
    booomm11 wrote:

For real? yeah, i'm not trying to pay 2grand. Seen some great deals at Best Buy & Circuit City, probably gonna go tonight. Is there a difference between the two?

its the different display technology. LCD are powered by a single backlight at the back, the whole screen functions by crystals locking together allowing certain amounts of light through to light up the phosphors at the front of the screen. Now this is very energy hungry and has certain downsides for example the colour black on an LCD is worse compared to a PDP and OLED. OLEDs can produce close to black rather than blocking light to re create black no matter was manufacturers have done some light still passes through.

Now OLEDs which are Orgainc Light Emitting Diods produce the light. The lifespan of an OLED is a lot less i think comparede to an LCD and PDP due to the organic compounds used in them. OLEDs also have a much better refresh rate than an LCD. On an LCD when there are fast moving images like the ones in sports or action movies looked blurry on the edges, some people pointing that out can give headaches after long periods of time.

If you watch an LCD directly from its front side it will look good, but once you move and watch from an angle you will notice the colors changing and the overall picture quality being affected. This is not a problem with OLEDs which has very wide viewing angles, its picture not being altered when watching from a side.

One of the significant advantages of OLED than LCD and other types of televisions is their low power consumption. Moderns LCD TVs can consume over 500W of electrical power. OLEDs on the other hand is a greener technology with much improved power consumption.

Also i think that OLEDs can be prone to burn in (like Plasma) as they are an emissive display but i have yet to really find out about them too much.

my $0.02 as you guys would say.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    We love our 50 inch Samsung Plasma- picture is absolutely awesome
    Wow LED's are out of my price range right now.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I have been unimpressed with my Samsung LCD since the day I got it as well.
  • You did make sure the scart connector hadn't come loose out the back didn't you?! Sounds silly, but I once came home to find my dad going mental at the tv because there was sound but no picture, I pushed the connector in the back and it worked fine!
  • youngsteryoungster Posts: 6,576
    Found out the problem was the T-Con board in the top back of the TV. Had a Sears guy order the part and replace it. Now it is good as new. All I can hope for is that it lasts another 3 years before it breaks again. The repair guy says this problem is common and will probably happen again.

• LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Get a Sony. They are a little pricier, but made with better parts, although Samsung makes Sony's LCD screen, but the other parts are better.
    Get a Sony. They are a little pricier, but made with better parts, although Samsung makes Sony's LCD screen, but the other parts are better.

out of interest, how do you know this?
  • LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Brisk. wrote:

I forget where, but i read it somewhere. I know Samsung makes the LCD part of the Sony TV's. I usually prefer Sony for its better colors. Bravia chips make this possible.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Brisk. wrote:

I forget where, but i read it somewhere. I know Samsung makes the LCD part of the Sony TV's. I usually prefer Sony for its better colors. Bravia chips make this possible.
    I've heard similar things about Sony-Samsung tv, but I've also heard they are much closer than just one part.
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    Great, my Samsung is just turning 2 years old... So far, so good! I can tell you though, IMO it seems like everything is built to break these days. My Samsung is about the only thing that has lasted since we moved into our new home. Don't even get me started on mattresses!
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    I have a 50 inch LCD projection and my projection lamp burned out within 6 months. Since fixed it has been awesome.

I agree they build these things to be pieces of shit, how would they stay in business if they all lasted?