2010 Philadelphia Phillies Thread fight to get it back again

jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
It's time last time i started this thread they won it all,so lets tempt fate. I really like are chances again this year even though i hate Cliff Lee leaving i think are starting rotation will be good. Halladay Hamels Blanton Happ and ??? should be a good rotation. I like Polanco at 3rd and really think Utley will be even better if thats even possible. Raul worries me a little but i have faith he can put together a solid year. I think were solid as hell everywhere else in the field. Then it's up to are biggiest question mark are bullpen. I really wish Park was coming back but know he isn't.Brad lidge needs to step it up and be alot closer to 2008 then 2009 form. I wish spring training started today. Go PHILLIES Fight to get it back again.
Go Birds!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jamminpearlsjamminpearls Posts: 7,078
    and i almost forgot FUCK DA MUTS :lol:
    Go Birds!!!!
    Pitchers and catchers will be here before we know it. :D:D
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,992
    Where's the thread? We already have a thread. Keep it going.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    Oh we will get it back again this year, mark my words :)

I've been counting down to spring training for weeks now, I CAN'T WAIT for the season to get rolling

Go Phils!!!!!
    Where's the thread? We already have a thread. Keep it going.
    That was 2009 thread he just changed the 9. That thread needs to die since we did that year. New Year New thread. i started 2008 thread and that turned out ok.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave Posts: 41,845
    Brad Lidge had surgery on knee
    Phillies closer Brad Lidge had what was believed to be minor arthroscopic right knee surgery on Wednesday. And though his status for Opening Day is up in the air, the procedure isn't expected to keep him on the shelf much longer than previously anticipated.

The surgery was more of a cleanup of loose bodies in the knee, one that was performed by team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti at the Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, the team announced in a news release on Thursday.

Lidge is expected to begin a throwing program in 10 days, and he isn't expected to miss much of the early part of the season -- if at all -- the club believes.

"It was not a particularly invasive procedure," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told MLB.com before boarding on a plane on Thursday afternoon. "We think the recovery time is two to three weeks. He should be throwing a baseball shortly. For us, it really doesn't dramatically change the start time on his clock.

"We're not sure if he'll be ready by Opening Day. Again, if it's just after Opening Day, that's fine. As long as he's 100 percent healthy, that's the goal. But if he's not available by Opening Day, he'll be available soon thereafter."

Speaking with MLB.com shortly after the announcement, Lidge's agent, Rex Gary, echoed Amaro's sentiments, calling the surgery "very minor" and "not a big deal."

"He's feeling great," Gary said. "He's on his feet. It was very minor. They just cleaned up -- arthroscopically -- some loose fragments in his knee, and the real impact of this surgery is it looks like it will delay his throwing program by 10 days. That's it."

As for why Lidge didn't have the surgery earlier in the offseason, Gary said, "[The knee] wasn't bothering him then."

"It just was kind of a recurrence of something that, I guess, had bothered him much earlier in the year," Gary said, referring to the stretch of 15 games in June when Lidge went on the disabled list with pain in the knee. "But it just became increasingly bothersome, to the point where Brad felt that we needed to get it checked out."

For Lidge, it is his second surgery of the offseason after he had bone chips removed from his right elbow shortly after the 2009 campaign ended, and it is his third right knee surgery since the end of his '07 season with the Astros.

Amaro said Lidge felt discomfort in the knee while rehabbing his elbow, which the GM said "is doing extremely well." The Phillies then gave Lidge an MRI and decided to perform what Amaro called "exploratory surgery on the knee," in which Ciccotti trimmed some cartilage and took out a loose body or two.

The release described the surgery as "the removal of loose bodies and meniscal debridement."

"The surgery went well, and Brad is expected to begin his throwing program in 10 days," Phillies head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan said in a statement. "We're not sure if he'll be ready by Opening Day, but we don't expect that he'll be too far behind. This surgery was not directly related to any previous surgeries."

Amaro has been saying for quite some time that Lidge might not be ready to start the season. The Phils are also likely to be without lefty reliever J.C. Romero, who recently had left elbow surgery and is said to be behind Lidge's schedule. That makes the recent signing of Danys Baez -- who has saved 114 games in his eight-year career -- to a two-year, $5.25 million contract all the more important.

Philadelphia also has Ryan Madson as an option to close out games at the start of the season.

Lidge, 33, converted just 31 of his 42 save chances while sporting a 7.21 ERA in '09, one year after he went 41-for-41 in save chances during the Phils' World Series championship season.

In his eight-year career, Lidge sports a 3.56 ERA and has converted 195 of 233 save chances.

Offseason elbow and knee surgeries won't make Lidge's task of bouncing back from arguably his worst season any easier. But for now, neither side is expressing much concern.

"I think that the strong belief is this should take care of whatever's bothering him," Gary said. "There were few, I guess, loose bodies in the area that were causing him discomfort, and they removed those loose bodies."

Hopefully he gains his form from '08 now.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
    Brad Lidge had surgery on knee
    Phillies closer Brad Lidge had what was believed to be minor arthroscopic right knee surgery on Wednesday. And though his status for Opening Day is up in the air, the procedure isn't expected to keep him on the shelf much longer than previously anticipated.

The surgery was more of a cleanup of loose bodies in the knee, one that was performed by team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti at the Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, the team announced in a news release on Thursday.

Lidge is expected to begin a throwing program in 10 days, and he isn't expected to miss much of the early part of the season -- if at all -- the club believes.

"It was not a particularly invasive procedure," Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told MLB.com before boarding on a plane on Thursday afternoon. "We think the recovery time is two to three weeks. He should be throwing a baseball shortly. For us, it really doesn't dramatically change the start time on his clock.

"We're not sure if he'll be ready by Opening Day. Again, if it's just after Opening Day, that's fine. As long as he's 100 percent healthy, that's the goal. But if he's not available by Opening Day, he'll be available soon thereafter."

Speaking with MLB.com shortly after the announcement, Lidge's agent, Rex Gary, echoed Amaro's sentiments, calling the surgery "very minor" and "not a big deal."

"He's feeling great," Gary said. "He's on his feet. It was very minor. They just cleaned up -- arthroscopically -- some loose fragments in his knee, and the real impact of this surgery is it looks like it will delay his throwing program by 10 days. That's it."

As for why Lidge didn't have the surgery earlier in the offseason, Gary said, "[The knee] wasn't bothering him then."

"It just was kind of a recurrence of something that, I guess, had bothered him much earlier in the year," Gary said, referring to the stretch of 15 games in June when Lidge went on the disabled list with pain in the knee. "But it just became increasingly bothersome, to the point where Brad felt that we needed to get it checked out."

For Lidge, it is his second surgery of the offseason after he had bone chips removed from his right elbow shortly after the 2009 campaign ended, and it is his third right knee surgery since the end of his '07 season with the Astros.

Amaro said Lidge felt discomfort in the knee while rehabbing his elbow, which the GM said "is doing extremely well." The Phillies then gave Lidge an MRI and decided to perform what Amaro called "exploratory surgery on the knee," in which Ciccotti trimmed some cartilage and took out a loose body or two.

The release described the surgery as "the removal of loose bodies and meniscal debridement."

"The surgery went well, and Brad is expected to begin his throwing program in 10 days," Phillies head athletic trainer Scott Sheridan said in a statement. "We're not sure if he'll be ready by Opening Day, but we don't expect that he'll be too far behind. This surgery was not directly related to any previous surgeries."

Amaro has been saying for quite some time that Lidge might not be ready to start the season. The Phils are also likely to be without lefty reliever J.C. Romero, who recently had left elbow surgery and is said to be behind Lidge's schedule. That makes the recent signing of Danys Baez -- who has saved 114 games in his eight-year career -- to a two-year, $5.25 million contract all the more important.

Philadelphia also has Ryan Madson as an option to close out games at the start of the season.

Lidge, 33, converted just 31 of his 42 save chances while sporting a 7.21 ERA in '09, one year after he went 41-for-41 in save chances during the Phils' World Series championship season.

In his eight-year career, Lidge sports a 3.56 ERA and has converted 195 of 233 save chances.

Offseason elbow and knee surgeries won't make Lidge's task of bouncing back from arguably his worst season any easier. But for now, neither side is expressing much concern.

"I think that the strong belief is this should take care of whatever's bothering him," Gary said. "There were few, I guess, loose bodies in the area that were causing him discomfort, and they removed those loose bodies."

Hopefully he gains his form from '08 now.
    In Brad I trust
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    and i almost forgot FUCK DA MUTS :lol:
    FUCK DA PHILS :P
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Phillies = renters

Yankees = owners
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • where is the philly 2010 bootlegs?????????//
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Phillies = renters

Yankees = owners

I think the Yankees are renting their own division. Division Titles last 3 years: Phillies 3, Yankees 1.

Oh yeah, this is a Phillies thread, so get lost!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Thinking about capping a baseball road trip this summer with Phillies games at Cincinnati & Pittsburgh - can't wait!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Phillies = renters

Yankees = owners

I think the Yankees are renting their own division. Division Titles last 3 years: Phillies 3, Yankees 1.

Yankees are whats wrong with sports. Spend spend spend,how much more did they give cc then the next closet team would have??? Talk about over paying we sign guys for less the market value because they relieve we actually care about them here.
    Go Birds!!!!
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Phillies = renters

Yankees = owners

Yankees are whats wrong with sports. Spend spend spend,how much more did they give cc then the next closet team would have??? Talk about over paying we sign guys for less the market value because they relieve we actually care about them here.
    *yawns*

the yankees are whats right with baseball. they go out every year and put a winner on the field. if mlb had a salary cap it wouldn't matter either way. the yankees would go up to the salary cap max and still win.

Oh yeah, this is a Phillies thread, so get lost![/quote]
    Yankees are whats wrong with sports. Spend spend spend,how much more did they give cc then the next closet team would have??? Talk about over paying we sign guys for less the market value because they relieve we actually care about them here.[/quote] *yawns*

the yankees are whats right with baseball. they go out every year and put a winner on the field. if mlb had a salary cap it wouldn't matter either way. the yankees would go up to the salary cap max and still win.[/quote]

This isn't a thread for frauds flame on ;)
    Go Birds!!!!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    careful using that word dude... :lol:

by the way---why do we have two phils threads now?
    www.myspace.com

The other thread was the 2009 one and he just changed it to 2010. That seasons over with and like i said before i started the 2008 thread and i think that season and thread ended pretty damn good. :D Out with the old in with the new. And metsy is no worry to me i told u he's harmless.
    Go Birds!!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,741
    edited January 2010
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Phillies = renters

Yankees = owners

Horrible statement. Please explain to me what is wrong with putting the best possible product on the field? Once again, where would you like the Yankees revenue to go?

Must I remind you of this:

Placido Polanco 3b
    3 years/$18M (2010-12), plus 2013 mutual option

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/3/09
    $0.5M signing bonus
    10:$5M, 11:$5.25M, 12:$6.25M, 13:$5.5M mutual option ($1M buyout)

or how about this one...

Raul Ibanez of
    3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)

3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/16/08
    $2M signing bonus
    09:$6.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$11.5M
    no-trade protection

Also, were you not the one arguing the Phillies should have increased their payroll and kept Lee and Halladay?

Edit: The Marlins are whats wrong with baseball.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    metsfan wrote:

the yankees are whats right with baseball. they go out every year and put a winner on the field. if mlb had a salary cap it wouldn't matter either way. the yankees would go up to the salary cap max and still win.

metsfan, I salute you.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632

The other thread was the 2009 one and he just changed it to 2010. That seasons over with and like i said before i started the 2008 thread and i think that season and thread ended pretty damn good. :D Out with the old in with the new. .

i stopped believing in superstitions in 2008!
    www.myspace.com
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    metsfan wrote:

metsfan, I salute you.
    thanks dude

Horrible statement. Please explain to me what is wrong with putting the best possible product on the field? Once again, where would you like the Yankees revenue to go?

Must I remind you of this:

Placido Polanco 3b

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/3/09
    $0.5M signing bonus
    10:$5M, 11:$5.25M, 12:$6.25M, 13:$5.5M mutual option ($1M buyout)

or how about this one...

Raul Ibanez of
    3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)

3 years/$31.5M (2009-11)

signed by Philadelphia as a free agent 12/16/08
    $2M signing bonus
    09:$6.5M, 10:$11.5M, 11:$11.5M
    no-trade protection

Also, were you not the one arguing the Phillies should have increased their payroll and kept Lee and Halladay?

Edit: The Marlins are whats wrong with baseball

There's nothing wrong with putting the best product on the field. The problem is when U WAY WAY over pay just because u can. Didn't the yanks give CC 15-25 million more then any other team offered?? Texteria was way over paid as well i think Baltimore was the next closest team and didn't the yanks give him way way more as well. There over paying is making decent players leave there small market teams because the yanks are jacking up the pay scale imo. Planco how can u even make that statement did the phillies over pay a solid player for 6 million a year?? I understand the move to 3rd makes it a little risky but were talking about 6 million to a damn good player. And Raul once again 10 million for a guy who did this in 3 yrs 33hrs 123rbi's and batted 289 in 06 in 07 21 hrs 105 rbi's and batted 291 and in 08 23hrs 110 rbis and batted 293. Those numbers in that ball park while being the only damn hitter worth not pitching to i'd say 10 million was a great deal for us. As for your lee comment i wanted him here and we wouldn't have had to really increase our payroll to keep him we let blanton walk and then your only talking about 1.5-3 million if that. So yeah your damn right i wanted lee here for at least 1 more year. Blanton will cost u 5-7.5 or lee for 8-9 million for this upcoming year its a no brainer to me. And if we didn't resign him we get 2 #1 picks for him in composition. But i do agree with u that the marlins are whats wrong with baseball.
    Go Birds!!!!
    My point is that Polanco was overpaid by at least 1 year and 6 million. There was no other team out there that was going to offer a 2nd baseman of his cailber 3 years and 18 mil. Same with Raul, he got a 3 year 30 mil contract the same year bobby abreu got a 1 year, 5 mil deal. Are both of those good moves for the Phillies, yes but they overpaid for both of them. Keep Jamie Moyers 2 year 13 mil contract in mind as well.

Yes, the Yankees overpaid for CC but they wanted him and it was pretty much known they were going to have to overpay to keep him from going to the west coast. For Tex, I believe Bostons offer was about 7-10 million less than the Yankees offer so they didn't overpay by all that much. Also, keep in mind CC may opt out after 2011 and in that case they will have had him for 3 years and 60 mil and at least 1 World Series title. The Yankees wanted those 2 players so they got them and it paid off.

You are correct that the Yankees set the market for big name players and because of that smaller market teams can't hold on to them. I am hoping the Twins are able to Keep Mauer for this reason but it is the name of the game and far from what is wrong with sports.

Edit: Want to talk about overpaying, look at Matt Holliday. Crazy contract considering the Cards bidding against themselves.