your weakness (interview question)

iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
edited January 2010 in All Encompassing Trip
please answer if you have a new job, possibly in the past two years.
please let me know if your employer asked about your weakness and how you handled it.
I could be going on an interview. It's been since 1997 for me! I thought about it when I read this on my homepage today
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-article ... e_job-1026
I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
10/10 - Brad in B'more
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 8181 Posts: 58,276
    i hate that question.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I've found the best thing to do is answer the question honestly but follow up your answer with things you've done to make it better. I always tell them I'm not the most organized person in the world (and this is very true), but I give some examples of what I've done to improve.

You can't say you don't have any weaknesses b/c they will know you're lying or just assume you are arrogent and difficult to work with.
  • __ Posts: 6,651
    You could tell them a weakness that can also double as a strength. I've answered that question before by saying my weakness is that I'm really detail-oriented. So, although the quality of my work is better, it can sometimes slow me down a little bit. That's really honest and gives them the opportunity to assess whether they value quality work over sloppy-but-faster work. If given the choice, I wouldn't want to work for a company that doesn't see the value in being detail-oriented.

I try to avoid the other honest answers to that question, like that I have the hardest time dragging my ass out of bed to get to work on time every day. :lol: :oops:
  • the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    scb wrote:

I try to avoid the other honest answers to that question, like that I have the hardest time dragging my ass out of bed to get to work on time every day. :lol: :oops:

WORD. :?
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    I TRY TOO HARD.
    www.myspace.com
  • I never actually give a weakness when they ask this. I tell them of something that used to be a weakness and how I improved it....thus creating the illusion that I have no weaknesses. But anyone who has ever played me in online Madden knows that my weakness is screen plays.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Is being awesome a weakness? 'Cause if so, that's your answer right there!
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    I always try to make a persuasive answer out of my weaknesses.

One weakness for me is I hate routine work, I always get bored after awhile. So instead of coming of like a lousy worker, I say that I like new challenges and enjoy a varied range of work. I'm not the type that likes to be tied down to one area.

So depending on the interviewer/manager, I may come of a bit cocky, a bit demanding, a bit challenging but it also shows I'm dependable for multitasks.

Don't know if that helps. Best of luck in your interview.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,870
    I TRY TOO HARD.

haha...yeah

"I'm a perfectionist"
    "I have trouble saying no"
    and sorry to say but "i'm detailed oriented"

Those are the worst responses because they're so cliched and canned whether they're true or not.

The best response is an honest weakness (nothing too harsh that will cause for an immediate deal breaker), and then follow up with how you've taken the innitiative to overcome that weakness.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,632
    I TRY TOO HARD.

haha...yeah

"I'm a perfectionist"
    "I have trouble saying no"
    and sorry to say but "i'm detailed oriented"

Those are the worst responses because they're so cliched and canned whether they're true or not.

The best response is an honest weakness (nothing too harsh that will cause for an immediate deal breaker), and then follow up with how you've taken the innitiative to overcome that weakness.

no. i try too hard in everything i do. it will be my ultimate demise.
    www.myspace.com
  • iluvcatsiluvcats Posts: 5,153
    thanks for your replies everyone. I appreciate your honesty :)

I don't have an interview yet; but I'll be sure I keep a copy of this thread for the future.
    9/98, 9/00 - DC, 4/03 - Pitt., 7/03 - Bristow, 10/04 - Reading, 10/05 - Philly, 5/06 - DC, 6/06 - Pitt., 6/08 - Va Beach, 6/08 - DC, 5/10 - Bristow, 10/13 B'more
    8/08 - Ed solo in DC, 6/09 Ed in B'more,
    10/10 - Brad in B'more
  • I never actually give a weakness when they ask this. I tell them of something that used to be a weakness and how I improved it....thus creating the illusion that I have no weaknesses. But anyone who has ever played me in online Madden knows that my weakness is screen plays.

lol...."my weaknesses?....well, I tend to give up a big play on 3rd and long but I know it's the *&^*&^!@# computer cheating, begging me to twist this !@#$^@!!@^controller in half"
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
  • Mcam55Mcam55 Posts: 1,407
    David:So, let me ask you a question right off the bat. What do you think are your greatest strengths as a manager?
    Michael: Why don't I tell you what my greatest weaknesses are? I work too hard. I care too much. And sometimes I can be too invested in my job.
    David: Okay. And your strengths?
    Michael: Well, my weaknesses are actually... strengths.
    David: Oh. Yes. Very good.
    Michael: Thank you.
    David: Very good.
  • - I hate working, I am lazy, I hate you, I want to phuck your mum.. and what's the name of the company again?

this should work
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    I usually say Kryptonite. I have never been a denied a job.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Just be honest and say, "cocaine and hookers." Would you want to work for someone who balked at that response? Didn't think so.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • MrMerkinballMrMerkinball Posts: 1,978
    Danimal wrote:
    I interview a lot of people and I ALWAYS ASK THIS QUESTION.

I am usually just trying to see if they have given this some thought, and I KNOW that 90% of the answers I get are bullshit.

BUT I swear to god, If I ever got "Danimal's" answer, I would hire the person immediately!

That is just fucking awesome.
  • PillowPantsPillowPants Posts: 4,875
    i surf the internet all day long

and tend to get banned from message boards
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    i cannot pronounce the word burglary.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Catwoman1Catwoman1 Posts: 482
    dunkman wrote:
    i cannot pronounce the word burglary.

:lol: If I were interviewing someone and they gave me this answer, I would love it! This shows a sense of humor, and most of us want to work with people with a sense of humor. Interviewers can see through people who give the "I'm too detail-oriented" or "I'm a perfectionist" answers.
    You can't be neutral on a moving train.
    Danimal wrote:
    I interview a lot of people and I ALWAYS ASK THIS QUESTION.

I am usually just trying to see if they have given this some thought, and I KNOW that 90% of the answers I get are bullshit.

BUT I swear to god, If I ever got "Danimal's" answer, I would hire the person immediately!

That is just fucking awesome.

I love Danimal's answer too. Making the interviewer laugh is a good thing!
    iluvcats wrote:
    please answer if you have a new job, possibly in the past two years.
    please let me know if your employer asked about your weakness and how you handled it.
    I could be going on an interview. It's been since 1997 for me! I thought about it when I read this on my homepage today
    http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/career-article ... e_job-1026
    I would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

Good luck! How exciting to be changing jobs!
  • in the past ive said that i get too hands on with everything and don't delegate as much as i should.
    "The world is dangerous, feel safe here tonight..." EV 9/17/06

38+6 shows at the age of 27 and counting...but still no Undone

My podcast: Hotel Manager Talk- Dedicated to Hotel Employees, tell your friends. http://www.HotelManagerTalk.com
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363

I try to do this. Leadership is my weakness, but I always tell the person the steps I've taken at past jobs that show that I've tried to overcome my downfall. And that I've taken Toastmasters classes for public speaking.
    Danimal wrote:
    This may be my new answer though. ;)