Installing pickups myself

OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
edited January 2010 in Musicians and Gearheads
Ok, so I have a Mexican Strat HSS and I got some lace Sensor gold pickups in the same configuration for Xmas. I'm mechanically incline and know how to read a schematic (for the most part). It gives options for a Single coil, non-split, and SPDT on-on 2way switch diagrams, I assume mine is a non split?

I'm going to pick up a soldering iron and the supplies from radio shack, but I was wondering what soldering iron (in terms of power) do I need? What type and gage solder do I use?

Is there any good referance on the web with pics that could help? I want to do this, but need some good referance.

Thank you
BRING BACK THE WHALE
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• You can do this job with the cheapest soldering iron out there, but you get what you pay for... you don't need the horsepower of the big, fancy irons, but they offer a lot of control that can come in handy if you decide you wanna be a solder-iron slinger. I'd pick up a $20 Radio Shack iron and burn your fingers a few times before plunking down $100-plus on a fancy Weller.

As for some instructions and info, Seymour Duncan's website has a lot of great info. Their install page is here:
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/ch ... ling-pick/

If you wanna make use of a soldering iron, you might check out Build Your Own Clone, a site that sells kits to make pedals. http://www.buildyourownclone.com They've got a lot of cool toys to play with, and can be very helpful getting started on a soldering life of crime.
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
  • kigcatkigcat Posts: 298
    since the ROHS compliancy laws (non hazardous materials) came in solder is mostly lead free now. The new ROHS solder burns at a much higher temperature before melting so make sure the iron you get is hot enough to melt the solder comfortably otherwise it`ll just blob up and become a nightmare to work with. We use Pace and Weller irons at allen and heath and are very good irons if a little pricey for the normal household home user.
    I'm not saying stupidity should be a capital offence, but what say we take the safety labels off everything and let nature run it's course?
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    Good stuff thank you.
    BRING BACK THE WHALE
  • OffHeGoes29OffHeGoes29 Posts: 1,240
    kigcat wrote:
    since the ROHS compliancy laws (non hazardous materials) came in solder is mostly lead free now. The new ROHS solder burns at a much higher temperature before melting so make sure the iron you get is hot enough to melt the solder comfortably otherwise it`ll just blob up and become a nightmare to work with. We use Pace and Weller irons at allen and heath and are very good irons if a little pricey for the normal household home user.

What gage wire do I use?
    BRING BACK THE WHALE