Options

H&M, Wal-Mart Destroy Unsold Clothing

13»

Comments

• Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    GTFLYGIRL wrote:
    Jeanwah wrote:

ETA: I understand that because your child needs so much Pediasure you go to the cheapest place you can buy it. Hence, you're still supporting the store's business ethics.

cool. and if you read what i wrote more crarefully you would see that i only go there occasionally for the pediasure and actually ended up at walmart by default. Truth be said that it is a huge difference. 15.99 is SIX dollars more than 9.99.

Most of the time I dont go to Walmart and generally get it for 12.99 at stop and shop. I hadnt really paid much mind to the extreme difference in cost until i bought two for 32 and three for 30 two days later. It's a huge difference and when i have $10 in my pocket and my kid needs the crap i am sure i will go again. Every day? Every time? No! Occasionally? Sure....

That is the last i have to say on this.... Off to give my kid some damn Pediasure. :)
    Yes, I read that post after I posted. :)
  • Options
    redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    i noticed in october or november best buy would raise prices on things like cds just a dollar or so, then after christmas they had this supposed big sale on everything bringing the price down a dollar

Common practice. Most shops do that - even mom & pop shops!
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,146
    H & M Says It Will Stop Destroying Unworn Clothing
    By JIM DWYER
    Cynthia Magnus with mutilated clothing that retailers discarded on West 35th Street just before Xmas.Suzanne DeChillo/The New York Times Cynthia Magnus with mutilated clothing that retailers discarded on West 35th Street.

The clothing retailer H & M promised on Wednesday that it would stop the practice of destroying new, unworn clothing that it could not sell at its store in Herald Square, and would instead donate the garments to charities.

The practice was discovered by Cynthia Magnus, a graduate student at the City University of New York, who found bags of unworn but mutilated clothing that had been disposed of by H & M on West 35th Street. She also found bags of new Wal-Mart garments with holes punched through them.

After Ms. Magnus wrote to H & M’s headquarters in Sweden and got no response, she contacted The New York Times. More slashed clothing was found Monday evening on 35th Street and reported in the About New York column on Wednesday.

“It will not happen again,” said Nicole Christie, a spokeswoman for H & M in New York. “We are committed 100 percent to make sure this practice is not happening anywhere else, as it is not our standard practice.”

Ms. Christie said that H & M’s standard practice was to donate unworn clothing to aid organizations. She said that she did not know why the store on 34th Street was slashing the clothes, and that the company was checking to make sure that none of its other stores were doing it.

A Wal-Mart spokeswoman, Melissa Hill, said that she had been unable to learn why new clothing with the store’s tags had been destroyed, but she added that the company typically donated or recycled such items.

Among the alternatives to destroying unsold garments is the New York City Clothing Bank, which was set up by the city during the mayoralty of Edward I. Koch to accept unworn clothing and to protect the retailers from people who might use the donations to get store credit or undercut sales.

“I would welcome H & M, Wal-Mart and every enterprise that presently is destroying new clothing to call me immediately,” said Mary Lanning, chairwoman of the Clothing Bank. “We use a method of ‘defacing’ each garment that does not impair its wearability, but does remove any potential street value in the underground market. We operate a full clothing warehouse and distribution center right under their noses.”

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... c_ev=click
  • Options
    __ Posts: 6,651
    redrock wrote:
    To all of those who are on their high horses about wal-mart, when you do shop at your local mom & pop shops, are you as aware of the corporations behind the products you buy? Jeanwah - I'm sure you will say you are and you only buy fairtrade and ethically sourced goods and that you would do without if they are not - but for the majority of people, do you know what is behind the coffee you buy? The cereals you may eat every day? The pretty skirt or shoes you have just got? Think... it's not just about WHERE you buy, but WHAT you buy. If one was living to such strict 'values' as some displayed here about buying at Wal-Mart, one would be growing ALL his/her food, raising animals for milk, wool, etc..... Such is life.

Excellent post. And I think the bit about high horses is especially important. Everyone should do their best to live the most socially responsible life they can and I applaud those who do. But the high horses need to be let go.
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    Umm, I was not *attacking* you. I was merely pointing out that you willfully shop at Walmart, and then explaining my POV. Get over yourself.

ETA: I understand that because your child needs so much Pediasure you go to the cheapest place you can buy it. Hence, you're still supporting the store's business ethics.

Actually, I believe you implied that you know her shopping habits and the supposed lack of consideration for others that goes into her decision-making process when, if fact, unless y'all are friends in real life, you really don't know shit. (At least that's how I took the statement below.)
    Jeanwah wrote:
    I know that you're willing to drive the extra mile to buy your stuff at the cheapest store in town, regardless of their business ethics.
  • Options
    Here's a question for us to all ask ourselves: Why do we really avoid shopping at Wal-Mart? If it's out of compassion for our fellow (wo)man (the Wal-Mart employees), shouldn't we also have the same compassion for the rest of our fellow (wo)man (those who feel the need to shop at Wal-Mart)?

It's easy to sit on a high horse and be all proud of ourselves for being compassionate toward an abstract group of people. But if we can't even show compassion for the people around us, we might consider the possibility that we're not the great and righteous people we think we are. And maybe even some of us refuse to shop at Wal-Mart for more self-centered reasons - just so we can feel better about ourselves and superior to others.

Another question: Do we feel superior to that group (Wal-Mart employees) who we're trying to protect? After all, they shop at Wal-Mart. And they keep it in business by working there.

Food for thought.
  • Options
    scb wrote:
    Here's a question for us to all ask ourselves: Why do we really avoid shopping at Wal-Mart? If it's out of compassion for our fellow (wo)man (the Wal-Mart employees), shouldn't we also have the same compassion for the rest of our fellow (wo)man (those who feel the need to shop at Wal-Mart)?

It's easy to sit on a high horse and be all proud of ourselves for being compassionate toward an abstract group of people. But if we can't even show compassion for the people around us, we might consider the possibility that we're not the great and righteous people we think we are. And maybe even some of us refuse to shop at Wal-Mart for more self-centered reasons - just so we can feel better about ourselves and superior to others.

Another question: Do we feel superior to that group (Wal-Mart employees) who we're trying to protect? After all, they shop at Wal-Mart. And they keep it in business by working there.

Food for thought.

Excellent post.
    :thumbup:
  • Options
    Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    redrock wrote:
    i noticed in october or november best buy would raise prices on things like cds just a dollar or so, then after christmas they had this supposed big sale on everything bringing the price down a dollar

Common practice. Most shops do that - even mom & pop shops!

i guess it depends, none of the 3 locally owned record stores in town here do that, neither did the 2 from the previous place i lived. anyway, there's quite a difference between a huge chain store like Best Buy and K-Mart and a mom & pop store that has a single location and doesn't make nearly the same
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    I'm surprised they found stuff thrown away like that. I worked at a non-profit here in Michigan for many years and the local K-mart, Meijers and more local stores would give us their stuff that they could no longer sell. They gave various non-profits stuff. They'd have it all packaged ready to go. They'd be stuff for other palces along with ours and we'd just take ours.
    They would have videos that the packaging was ruined. Clothing with minor flaws. Anything that could not be sold, usually due to packaging. The local bakeries wouyld give us their day old stuff.
    Save room for dessert!
  • Options
    Heatherj43Heatherj43 Posts: 1,254
    scb wrote:

Food for thought.
    I know! My bf refuses to shop at Wal-Mart, but I am not so opposed. I get the whole thing about how they have taken over, yet it is the way it is, like it or not. I doubt my little bit of shopping has any affect on them, however, it does have a huge affect on me. Its very costly to shop elsewhere. So, I can either go woth the flow or swim upstream. I now will go to Wal-Mart on occasion. Thankfully, its not that close to me, so its not an every day event, but I will shop there when I feel like it. The savings mean a lot more to me than my pennies mean to them.
    Save room for dessert!