Matt

mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
edited January 2010 in The Porch
When I heard that Soundgarden was reuniting, I thought well they will need a new drummer. But today I heard that Matt will leave PJ after the European tour to tour with SG and possibly a new album Whatthefxup with this. Please say it isn't so.
fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    GB168118 wrote:
    When I heard that Soundgarden was reuniting, I thought well they will need a new drummer. But today I heard that Matt will leave PJ after the European tour to tour with SG and possibly a new album Whatthefxup with this. Please say it isn't so.

articles say Soungarden with tour AROUND Pearl Jam.. as for the long term i dont know.
  • Drummers are a dime a dozen.........
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • DeLukinDeLukin Posts: 2,757
    I hear Dave A is free...
    I smile, but who am I kidding...
  • DeLukin wrote:
    I hear Dave A is free...

So are Jack Irons and Dave Krusen so....fuck that shit
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    I'll say it for the 100th time: The perfect fill-in for drummer, if they ever need one, is easy:

Barrett Martin.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    BinFrog wrote:
    I'll say it for the 100th time: The perfect fill-in for drummer, if they ever need one, is easy:

Barrett Martin.

Rickki Rocket
  • Hopefully Matt will not leave the band, :mrgreen:
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • CranMalReignCranMalReign Posts: 1,928
    Soundgarden fans are not better than french fries.
    • 98 Pgh
    • 00 Pgh
    • 03 Pgh|Philly|PSU|Camden 1+2|Hershey
    • 04 Boston 1|Reading
    • 05 Philly
    • 06 Camden 1+2|Pgh
    • 08 Camden 1+2|Hartford|Mansfield 2
    • 09 Philly 1 [EV]|Toronto|Spectrum 1-4
    • 10 Cleveland|Buffalo
    • 11 Philly [EV]|PJ20
    • 12 Philly
    • 13 London|Pgh|Buff|Philly 1+2|Balt
    • 14 Cincy|StL
    • 16 Philly 1+2|Philly 2 [TotD]
    • 18 Boston 1+2
  • CJMST3KCJMST3K Posts: 9,722
    BinFrog wrote:

Barrett Martin.

Rickki Rocket

Jimmy Chamberlain
    ADD 5,200 to the post count you see, thank you. :)
    *NYC 9/28/96 *NYC 9/29/96 *NJ 9/8/98 (front row "may i play drums with you")
    *MSG 9/10/98 (backstage) *MSG 9/11/98 (backstage)
    *Jones Beach 8/23/00 *Jones Beach 8/24/00 *Jones Beach 8/25/00
    *Mansfield 8/29/00 *Mansfield 8/30/00 *Nassau 4/30/03 *Nissan VA 7/1/03
    *Borgata 10/1/05 *Camden 5/27/06 *Camden 5/28/06 *DC 5/30/06
    *VA Beach 6/17/08 *DC 6/22/08 *MSG 6/24/08 (backstage) *MSG 6/25/08
    *EV DC 8/17/08 *EV Baltimore 6/15/09 *Philly 10/31/09
    *Bristow VA 5/13/10 *MSG 5/20/10 *MSG 5/21/10
  • MATT will go where EDDIE-STONE-JEFF-MIKE go...
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • DH62179DH62179 Posts: 312
    Soundgarden fans are not better than french fries.

Nice, good reference.
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    BinFrog wrote:

Barrett Martin.

Rickki Rocket

lol - what, was Tico Torres unavailable?

Seriously though - it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. From reading this board over the last year, it seems like every PJ fan agrees Matt is a phenomenal drummer, but only half of them actually want him in the band. On any given day people will be posting that he doesn't play the older material the right way ("He plays 'Even Flow' too fast!" or "He can't play 'In My Tree' correctly!"), and that the songs he writes are bad (hands up who likes 'Evacuation' or 'Big Wave'). For a guy as talented as he is, and as loved by his bandmates as he is, he doesn't exactly get an outpouring of love from his own band's fans. With that said, if he genuinely believes Chris Cornell is committed to Soundgarden again (which isn't a given, since Chris hasn't been committed to anything in particular since they broke up - he bounced back and forth between a solo career and Audioslave before calling Timbaland and, when Scream was laughed at, Kim and Ben) could anyone really blame him if he left Pearl Jam and went back to Soundgarden full time? It seems Soundgarden fans appreciate him a lot more than Pearl Jam fans do.

And on that note - I see your Rikki Rocket and raise you a Rick Allen...
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    And on that note - I see your Rikki Rocket and raise you a Rick Allen...

:lol:

...raise...

the drummer from Hanson
    CITW_ZacHanson_2.jpg
  • (hands up who likes 'Evacuation' or 'Big Wave')[/quote]

UMMMM.........(hands up) I really like Evacuation.
  • cajunkiwi wrote:
    On any given day people will be posting that he doesn't play the older material the right way ("He plays 'Even Flow' too fast!" or "He can't play 'In My Tree' correctly!"), and that the songs he writes are bad (hands up who likes 'Evacuation' or 'Big Wave'). For a guy as talented as he is, and as loved by his bandmates as he is, he doesn't exactly get an outpouring of love from his own band's fans.

I agree 100%. However, Jeff wrote "Big Wave". (I sure thought it was a Matt song the first time I heard it.)
  • Drummers are a dime a dozen.........

sadly, wouldn't be suprized if matt quit because of fans like you. And also wouldn't be suprized if Pearl Jam quit because of fans like you. Why would they want to continue if their core-fan base is always talking about Dave A. and writing Matt off? makes perfect sense to me, I wouldn't want to play music for you.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • MATT will go where EDDIE-STONE-JEFF-MIKE go...

I agree. :mrgreen:
  • i'll fill in for matt....i really wouldnt mind
    Drummers are a dime a dozen.........

sadly, wouldn't be suprized if matt quit because of fans like you. And also wouldn't be suprized if Pearl Jam quit because of fans like you. Why would they want to continue if their core-fan base is always talking about Dave A. and writing Matt off? makes perfect sense to me, I wouldn't want to play music for you.

Matt's not gonna quit.

PJ's not gonna record without Matt.

PJ has a man-crush on Matt, and vice-versa.

...and maybe the forum rules should say "no talking about PJ's music pre-Matt". That would solve it. :lol:
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Matt's not going anywhere you noobs!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • A quote from Eddie.

"Matt Cameron writes songs and we run to find step stools in order to reach his level,...what comes naturally to him leaves us with our heads cocked like the confused dogs that we are,...eventually getting it. Did we mention he's the greatest drummer on the planet?"

When Eddie Vedder gives you a compliment like that you are "THE" drummer for Pearl Jam.
    Matt isn't going anywhere.
    He is just going to be a very busy man in 2010 :D
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    liam finn beats a strong drum :)
  • Paul AndrewsPaul Andrews Posts: 2,489
    edited January 2010
    For fuck sake....

Matt Cameron is the drummer for Pearl Jam. He has been since after the Aussie leg of the Yield tour. He is a fucking great drummer. He is a different drummer to pearl Jam's previous drummers. His skill, friendship with the band and history made him the perfect replacement. He is a fucking great guy and a huge assett to the band. Get on with it.

If you want to know the 'internet geeks' he was referring to in the drum magazine, just read some of the totally inappropriate and shitty posts on this site - the band's official site.

And for the record, Big Wave is a great song and goes off the two times they've played it in Perth.
    Post edited by Paul Andrews on
  • cajunkiwicajunkiwi Posts: 984
    cajunkiwi wrote:
    On any given day people will be posting that he doesn't play the older material the right way ("He plays 'Even Flow' too fast!" or "He can't play 'In My Tree' correctly!"), and that the songs he writes are bad (hands up who likes 'Evacuation' or 'Big Wave'). For a guy as talented as he is, and as loved by his bandmates as he is, he doesn't exactly get an outpouring of love from his own band's fans.

I agree 100%. However, Jeff wrote "Big Wave". (I sure thought it was a Matt song the first time I heard it.)

I stand corrected. I, sir, am an idiot - I wrote the post without checking.
    And I listen for the voice inside my head... nothing. I'll do this one myself.
  • Danny Carey
    WMA would sound sick w/ him playing drums
    In my lifetime, I have conquered the Multiverse by force of trUth.
  • I would be sooooo sad if matt left PJ :(
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • SizzlaSizzla Posts: 28
    Matt joined the band in 1998, and save for a few stints with a Soundgarden tour and/or a new album, I HIGHLY doubt he will leave the band. I think he will tour with and maybe make an album with Chris and boys.. but PJ has been a force with Matt ongoing 11 years strong... I don't think he would do that.

He is their best drummer, he is their longest running drummer, and he fits in better than any drummer has in the past.... all in my opinion of course.

That being said... This should prove to be an exciting year!!